Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Aug 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #316 of 336
Thanks!
Good to know... I was getting tired of always unplugging the headphone first.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #317 of 336
I just got my digital sources to transmit as bit-matched, etc etc and now i need to work on the volume issue. I really just need to replace the volume pot. Can someone tell me which alps pot from ebay I need for my zero? i'm fairly sure i can figure out the soldering, but i'm pretty strapped for cash and just want a quick solution to the unbalanced signals when the knob is turned low.
edit: also, from what i've heard, any pot with a blue box is a no-go for the zero... that kind of limits my choices, now doesn't it...

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #319 of 336
yes, actually. Right now, i'm using it with an OPA-MOON from audio-gd, and once burned-in, my goodness it is something to behold. that being said, the head-amp isn't all that excitement-worthy, but if you're using the pre-amp out, then there's no problem anyways. thats why i dont use the integrated head amp. so yes, this is a very good product sill, and also very inexpensive, and sounds beautiful once you replace the stock op-amps. the stock one sin't bad, but there are others. if you're technically inclined, then you can even do some other mods to make it better, but op-amp rolling the certainly the easiest improvement.

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #321 of 336
I just bought the 2009 Zero DAC with the USB connector and the OPA627 chip in it. The feel/look impressions are okay, the knob feels a little cheap and the unit I got has a slight ding on the top. These things however, I don't care about. When it comes to how it actually sounds, this unit sounds incredible and has no trouble driving my Sennheiser HD580's (300ohms). It's also very powerful as a headphone amp, I can't turn it past 1/4 of the way up without hurting myself.

There is however one issue I am having a bit of trouble with and thought that you guys might be able to help me out: The left and right channels are backwards. I have it hooked up via USB port and have it feeding straight through from Foobar, so I'm thinking this is just a wiring problem? I flipped the L/R wires on my HD580's to fix it, but it's just nagging at me.

May 4, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #324 of 336
If you are interested in orthos, the Fostex T50RP is pretty efficient and should be fine with the Zero.  It needs modding - consider it a semi-DIY headphone.
The better your gear, the better it will sound, however.

May 4, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #325 of 336

Quote:
If you are interested in orthos, the Fostex T50RP is pretty efficient and should be fine with the Zero. 

I'm not interested, I'm already in. :) TDS-5 and TDS-7 are the best items of my collection. But I have not good experience using TDS-5 (100 ohm) with the Semigor amp - this bunch didn't sound. However TDS-5 sounds quite good from Prodigy HD2 output. 

May 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #326 of 336
That TDS-5 is seriously low sensitivity.  I'd try a speaker amp with that.  You may need to know how to solder in order to mod the speaker amp and/or build an appropriate adapter.  HLLY makes a nice budget speaker amp, then you plug the Zero's pre-amp output into that and control the volume with the Zero.
I did not find the TDS-7's sensitivity with a quick search, but I'd probably try a speaker amp with that as well.

May 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #327 of 336

Quote:
That TDS-5 is seriously low sensitivity.  I'd try a speaker amp with that.  You may need to know how to solder in order to mod the speaker amp and/or build an appropriate adapter.  HLLY makes a nice budget speaker amp, then you plug the Zero's pre-amp output into that and control the volume with the Zero.
I did not find the TDS-7's sensitivity with a quick search, but I'd probably try a speaker amp with that as well.

TDS-5 is USSR clone of Yamaha YH-1: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yamaha_YH-1
They have 100 Ohm imperdance and 96 dB sensivity. I have said that they plays from phone output of HD2 DE (JRC4580) quite good, but flabby from the Semigor amp: http://www.stereohead.ru/_articles/images/Sdelai_Sam/Semigor/Ushi1.gif

I am not really expert in the circuit technology but I guess that the reason is voltage or current stabilization. How do you think what circuit is more closer to Zero? 

May 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #328 of 336
Closer to Zero?  I don't know.
I saw the wikiphonia article on the TDS-5 stating 91 sensitivity.  96 isn't as bad, but still low.  Zero might be able to handle 96 with 100ohm impedance, I think.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #329 of 336
I messed a little bit around with my Tianyun Zero because the OPA627 seemed a little bit harsh on my K701. Unfortunately i plugged the OPA adapter the wrong way back to the base plate (180 degrees switched - it was pretty dark in my room - no excuse anyway). Now sound is destorted and almost not audible. Do I have a chance to replace the OPA and get it working again? Or have I crashed the hole device? I am an amateur (who should have left the thing alone...) so I have only limited skills in measuring the ZERO  with a metering device .

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #330 of 336
If you plug it the wrong way, quite likely that the OPA627 is "burnt". I have burnt a pair of OPA627 in a Phono pre-amps by putting the"adapter" the wrong way, and while the OPA failed, nothing else failed....

Suggest you try to plug-in another OpAmp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back