Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Nov 17, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #301 of 336
I don't think that a plug coming undone during shipping all the way from China is a big deal. If I had twice the price, I would have gone for the Comapss but so far I'm feeling really good about this little guy. There is just a minor difference between the 'Earth" OPA headphon out and running pre-out to my Mullard tubed EF2. I've steered away from Solid State because once you go tubes, it's hard to go back but hearing the Comapss at a meet made me give this guy a try. I got it for 190.00 shipped including the Earth upgrade so I definitely feel like I've gotten my monies worth.
I'll probably use the EF2 as my "Go To" simply because all of my cans are easy to drive, but keep this Zero for future High Impedence Can purchases. If there was one thing I could say is lacking is the Analog inputs. It would be nice to have that as an option with a stand alone jack of Ipod Dock..

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #302 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wooooo coolfungadget thanks for clearing my doubt
biggrin.gif
Oh ya i got another question.. after removing the headphone amp part, i feel thats there is more bass? Is it placebo effect haha..

The AMP section of ZERO is not really good, really not, so it may be degrading the DAC output. Then, you change the AMP, the sound change likewise: you put a better AMP, you got a better sound; a worse AMP, a worse sound. What's the AMP you're using now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the '09 version, hopefully those past issues are fixed. Anyone here got an '09 Zero running? Any issues?

It will simply act as a DAC to pass through to my Little Dot MK III.

well, many people here in this thread have one, like me. Mine is running so far, no problem till here.

what about yours, did it already arrive? I'm planning to buy an external AMP, and the LD MK 3 is in my list. What are your impressions on this ZERO(DAC) + LD MK III (AMP) combo? Did you compare it to the zero stock combo (DAC+AMP, headphone output) ?

lao

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #303 of 336
I concur, the stock ZERO specifically the amp is terrible in comparison to the upgrade opamp I use; it's loud and lacks body. I wouldn't use a LD MK III with my Zero as I prefer the amp to the much more expensive Singlepower PPX3, you'd be going from energetic and detailed to a more veiled, less detailed sound of the tube.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #304 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about yours, did it already arrive? I'm planning to buy an external AMP, and the LD MK 3 is in my list. What are your impressions on this ZERO(DAC) + LD MK III (AMP) combo? Did you compare it to the zero stock combo (DAC+AMP, headphone output) ?

lao

It's shipped and should arrive in the next few days I guess. Hopefully it will cut the static I was getting straight from my Xonar to MKIII (the only reason I bought the DAC).

Next step is some Beyrdynamic DT770's
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #305 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's shipped and should arrive in the next few days I guess. Hopefully it will cut the static I was getting straight from my Xonar to MKIII (the only reason I bought the DAC).

Next step is some Beyrdynamic DT770's
biggrin.gif

nothing yet?
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #306 of 336
i bought the 2009 version Zero (OPA2604) from coolfungadget a couple of months ago. i immediately put LT1364 in the DAC and LT1469 in the AMP. i realized the sound was really bright on the Grado SR80s. i then upgraded to beyerdynamic DT880s (600 ohm). the sound was still bright and not what i wanted.

i really want a tube amp like a darkvoice, but seeing as i have no money, i decided to open it up and try opamp rolling. i switched the LT1364 out for a LT1361. the treble is less harsh and sibilant, the bass is punchier, and the midrange/soundstage opened up a little bit.

i think i just may purchase the OPA-Moon HDAM (until i get enough money for a tube amp). this is a really cheap and fun unit to start out with though.

my setup:
creative audigy 2 value -> bitperfect optical -> zero -> DT880s

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #307 of 336
I bought a Zero 2009 from szclever88 and it is working fine.

By the way, it sounds significantly better then the old model: larger soundstage, better dynamics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #308 of 336
Jan 22, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #309 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing yet?
biggrin.gif

Lao, G~man, hey" just giving you guys a shot out" I see you guys still on the Tianyun 09 zero dac thread!! love this dac" hate this dac" the zero still rolls onn!!... as you just told (extream3x) that the amp sect. is not all that!

your 100% right about that, OH mine is still strong <> 1 year now... IMHO" it makes a good Dac" I'll even go as far as saying a very" good Dac. I used it very hard like 20% computer (80% in main audio rig coaxial in analog out to my pre amp and i can tell you guys" that it rocks!! my infinity beta 50s really alive, I'm really happy with this 09 zero.
atsmile.gif
I used the headphone amp sometimes with my senn 650 & 600 when ever I'm too lazy to reach for my Creek" (the senn 600 hp is OK" with it ) that been said I think if zero owners gives it a chance before they started amp rolling "who knows".......

i couldn't have done better with my $164.00.. Win.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #310 of 336
After looking this sucker over rather extensively the FrankenZERO mods can be done to this version as well, maybe a few parts less than the original unit although without testing one I can't be sure of that. Not a whole lot has changed from the original design that I can see (other than the obvious stuff)...just some better parts in some key spots and the addition of a USB module.

Peete.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #311 of 336
I will soon be upgrading from my Grado SR-60 to Sennheiser HD-580's and I'm looking for a DAC/AMP combo to complement it. I've read many of the posts in this thread but I still have a few questions.

The 2009 Zero is apparently quite a good DAC, but has been maligned as an amp. How is the Zero with the OPA267 opamp? In addition, while I've seen many complaints about quality control, there don't seem to be too many issues with the 2009 model specifically? Earlier in the thread, it appeared that the underlying issues weren't fixed, but I don't see any evidence of continued issues.

Additionally, if anyone could compare the quality of the Zero's AMP and DAC to some other offerings, I would appreciate it. I'm also considering the Maverick D-1, the Aune HIFIDIY MK2 SE, the HiFiMAN EF2, and the uDAC.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #312 of 336
jasonwc@quote
The 2009 Zero is apparently quite a good DAC, but has been maligned as an amp. How is the Zero with the OPA267 opamp? In addition, while I've seen many complaints about quality control, there don't seem to be too many issues with the 2009 model specifically? Earlier in the thread, it appeared that the underlying

Jasonwc" i have the 09 Zero over a year now!! just one "caveats" the amp??!! its harsh/grating & abrasive and especially so when used with cans" in the 30 to 40 ohms area, (however it sounds ok with my hd-600 & 650 IMHO" after a year with the 09 zero)

that been said its good value" the dac" is very good,the usb" connection with the computer works like a charm simple plug & play, i used vista" i'm sorry i cant help you with the comparison to others.... my unit maybe has has the opa267 or 2604 it doesn't really make difference to me!! again I'm thinking its good value and I can live with it!! (as myself and others mentioned now and earlier in this thread the Amp could have been better) but that's it??!!

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #313 of 336
hi people, hi wyn, how you doing boy?
smily_headphones1.gif

yey, the ZERO 2009 still rocks the house! No issue at all so far, runs cool and smooth. I think the quality issue they have had with the first edition have been addressed with the changes they've made. Concerning the sound, can't say thou, since I've never used the old one, but compared to my motherboard's sound card, the Zero does improve performance. I can't say it's WOOOOOW changes, but a DJ friend of mine did it a try and he said the difference to it's macbook is remarkable. So, one of these: i'm too much exigent, i'm hearing deficient or my records do not allow me to judge of the quality of the equipment. Personally I think options 1 and 3 are true
biggrin.gif
Anyways, i really do not feel like throwing 200$ by the window, I really do appreciate this equipment and i do recommend.

Now I'm looking for an dedicated amp (tube one to my hd650) to see if things will improve.
wink.gif

cheers you all,

lao

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #314 of 336
I got my Zero a few days ago and I can't believe how much they get out of the HFI-780! This is my first ever DAC/amp and I can't believe how I could enjoy my headphones for over one year prior to this purchase. These also significantly improve the sound quality - and especially soundstage - of the Zino!
I paid € 80 for the OPA627 upgrade with USB, purchased directly from China. I had a family member bring them over. Quite a steal! Everything works perfectly fine and I can't complain about build quality at all. Only minor annoyance is the plop sound that comes out of the 'phones when turning it on or off. I hope it won't cause damage in the long run.

The silver color perfectly matches my Ultrasones!
biggrin.gif

Here are some pics:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back