Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Nov 3, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #287 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to order this from coolfungadget, we'll see how this will work.

Did you pull the trigger?

I'm on the fence. I have the EF2 and Maverick Tube Magic right now but I heard the Compass "The Moon" at a recent meet and the Zero with
"The Earth" OPamp is making my mouth water. Especially at the prices on eBay right now.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #288 of 336
Nov 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #289 of 336
I'am very interesting in Zero DAC, because very good price. But not sure, if that DAC is will be good for my headphones. I have Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO/80 (80 om). And Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe (SB0880) as sound source. Was anybody test Zero with DT770 80 om? Any noise, enough power? Or need search anything other?

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #291 of 336
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the '09 version, hopefully those past issues are fixed. Anyone here got an '09 Zero running? Any issues?

It will simply act as a DAC to pass through to my Little Dot MK III.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #292 of 336
Mine is in Customs in San Francisco as of today. I too will use it as a DAC to my HeadDirect EF2 for that "Tube Flavour", I have it coming with the "Earth" HDAM, but I hope to roll some HDAM's through it to try and get that "Tubie" feel from a Solid State. Hopefully I can get close to the Compass while still saving a bit of scratch.

FTI: I got mine from "coolfungadget"

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #293 of 336
I got mine from "snow48_6", although there were only 2 UK ebay retailers, him and "CoolFunGadget". The latter only had 352 feedback whilst Snow had 1416 and was registered as a business seller. Comes with the OP2604 and USB, so about the same price as CoolFunGadget.

I suspect any problems would have been fixed by now and i'd be surprised if the EU test centers that they had to submit a prototype to didn't check issues with past models. Companies quite often have to make failure rates known to testers.

It says I have the 1 year warranty, so fingers crossed, we're all good to go and my horrible capacitor interference from my graphics card is dismissed (I am going to use optical).

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #295 of 336
I just recieved mine and I can't get the headphone out to work. My PC auto-recognized the "USB Audio DAC" and the sound is quite nice and smooth through the pre-amo section running RCA to the RCA inputs of the EF2) but I get no sound from the headphone jack. I reviewed the instructions and although the english translation was not the best, I understood the process as pressing button #4 ( Phone/Preamp ) once and the light should turn red ( Although mine is either green or nothing) and when lit, the volume control knob will adjust the volume of the pre-amp as well as the headphone out. plugging in the headphones should disconnect the preamp in this "on" setting.in the "Off" position the volume is set at a default level through the preamp RCA outs. I suspect that the headphone section is at least connected as there is a very loud pop when plugging or unplugging the cans while the unit is powered up.

any suggestions???

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #296 of 336
To listen through your headphones the phone light should be green I believe. Did you switch the digital input? IIRC, the default setting out of the box is not usb. It just figures that when I want to answer a question like this, my zero is at home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #297 of 336
Thanks for jumping in to help. I bought the USB installed version as well as the "Earth" HDAM also already installed. I first assumed that the USB was activated from the seller as my PC recognized it and installed it automatically but then when I read the instructions on how to activate the USB if I had ordered it as a seperate upgrade component, I decided to power the unit down, power it up again and press and hold the MUTE button as instructed to activate the USB. I toggled back and forth between the on and off options for the USB but still no heaphone out. I have email Jeffrey at collfungadget but as he is 16 hrs ahead I don't expect an answer until after the weekend. I am currently enjoying the wonderful sound through the RCA out to the EF2 so all is well for now.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #298 of 336
I recieved an email from Jeffrey at coolfugadget. He aknowledged my problem and asked me to open up the case to inspect for any damage during shipment. Upon opening the case I found the three wire plug from the headphone amp section to the main board had been dislodged during shipment. It was simply a matter of plugging it back in and the amp works GREAT!!. The instructions erroniously state that the Phone/Pre-amp light should light red when in fact it is a green light. Other than that we're ALL SET. Audio impressions to follow after I get a chance to do some A/B'ing with the EF2 and my Memory of the Maverick Tube Magic.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #299 of 336

Users who are viewing this thread

Back