Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Jun 24, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #91 of 336
@wynshad12: who's talking about custom fees?
@G~mann: it seems that the reliability is a more important problem than sound quality for the ZERO. I hope it's not the same for the newer version. About to recommend to a friend, I would say that it depends on his pocket. For me it's a no brainer that the Xonar ST is the best value for the money for someone who has a desktop PC. For the laptopers, the Zero is a good first step for hifi for those on a budget, where one could buy an independent amp some time later (like a 150$ one), and maybe a dac after later on (for the same amount of money). For those who have more money to spend, compass seems the way to go, and for those who are rich, take a 3k$ solution, that's all.

as for the pmd RCA problem, it is really weird that the RCA is not working while the HP is! Does it make any difference if you use the pre-amp or not? Mine is working so far in both ways.

lao

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #92 of 336
PMD,G~MANN,LAO
it all make sense... as for me i have never use an independent/stand alone dac before!
now in my old age life I'm getting hooked on headphone so the new zero at $160 shipped is a way out for me' i took the plunge" pull the trigger on it Tuesday i choose the black.
i have a CREEK OB-21 HP AMP,ATH-AD700,SENN HD595 AND THE ATH-AD1000 HEADPHONES. that said I'm tryng to sell off the ATH AD1000 an the SENN HD595

wyn

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #93 of 336
wynshad12
I too "took the plunge" and bought the new Zero (OPA627) along with the OPA-Moon module for $183 shipped (after rebate) I decided with this mainly for price. Most here say (aside from reliability) it does sound pretty good. I may eventually get a separate headamp such as a Little Dot hybrid tube. I could then use the LD headamp back & forth between my laptop\EMU 0404 setup and the Zero hook to my main system.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #94 of 336
@wyn: since you're planning to sell those two gears and given that you already have a good amp (better than the one in zero) you could wait a bit and buy a dedicate and better dac instead of the zero.

@G~mann: why did you buy the OPA627 version if you are planning to install the OPA-Moon instead? I bought the stock version because I was planning to use an OP-AMP other than the OPA627.

lao

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #95 of 336
well the latest on my rca problem -
snow has said send it back for refund.
we went back and forth with a few emails but he never offered any simple instructions to fix. and i am not a electronics whizzz so we came to a stand still.
i have the early version of the zero and it has worked with out problem - that is why i thought i would try 2009.
fyi
the owners booklet is a difficult read. i dont do chinglish to well.
i operated the early zero intuitively... but the instructions with the 2009 seem even more awkward to understand.

lao -
what color does your phone/preamp light show when you use rca inputs ?
and what are the colors of the other two buttons while useing rca in ?

appreciate answer.
thanks
paul

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #96 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we went back and forth with a few emails but he never offered any simple instructions to fix. and i am not a electronics whizzz so we came to a stand still.
i have the early version of the zero and it has worked with out problem - that is why i thought i would try 2009.
fyi
i operated the early zero intuitively... but the instructions with the 2009 seem even more awkward to understand.

lao -

appreciate answer.
thanks
paul

Yeah, I'd prefer if they spoke better american over there.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #97 of 336
For the newbies...

Don't waste time, patience and money trying to fit those audio-gd discrete opamps, it isn't worth it.

Use an outstanding new audio opamp like the OPA2211, or go directly with the better (than the equivalents) Burson discrete opamp.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #98 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fyi

lao -

appreciate answer.
thanks
paul

too bad it is not working for you :/ It may be just a little component which is fry or something, because the RAC out use the same DAC output used by the HP/pre amp...

for the colors: the only color my Phone/Preamp lights is green, the same green when the Digital input is set to USB. However, you got to pay attention to the following:

1- when you not use the preamp for the RCA (no green light is on), you can't control the volume for the RCA output. You got to use the speaker's volume control or the volume control of a separate HP amp. In this case the Phone output will be mute, no signal, only the RCA feed, no matter if your headphone is plugged to the Phone output.

2- when you turn the HP/preamp on (green light will appear), you can't have the Phone and the RCA output feed at the same time. It will give preference to the Phone output: a) it will feed the Phone output if you have a HP connected to it, cutting the RCA output b) if no HP is connected to the Phone out, then the RCA output will be feed.

voila, I wish your RCA is not working just because you have the HP/preamp on and a headphone plugged to the Phone out. It would be a little silly, but it's better than have a malfunction
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #99 of 336
@hopeless: it's true that the discrete are a bit expensive compared to top-notch OP-AMPs like the OPA2211, LME49860MA, LME49720HA, 2xAD797BRZ and others. I will probably make no difference between than and a discrete one, or, in the best case, a very slightly difference which don't justify the difference of money. However, for the comparison between the Burson and the other discrete, well, it's a whole new discussion.

lao

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #100 of 336
lao -
i may be totally mixed up.
i thought the 2009's rca's were inputs to recieve signal from my cd players rca out.
you are saying the 2009's rca's are out puts to send 2009 signal to speakers or amplifier !
if that is the case then i have made a big booboo thinking the zero 2009 rcas were inputs.
that being the case my zero 2009 is functioning as it should so far.

i just tryed to use the rcas as inputs on my first gen. zero .... and of course they dont recieve the cd signal. this zero only recieves optical and coax and sends signal out via rcas or hp.
and my 2009 recieves signal via usb, optical or coax and outputs rca or headphone

ok - i got the picture now.
my booboo-
thanks
for helping me figure it out.
paul
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #101 of 336
thanks LAO" for that bit of info..that's what i like about you smart kids.'smile'.
i have seen that information some where on the FORUM" so when PMD- got the analog bug, i went looking but just couldn't find it. PMD them things are (OUT) MAN!!

SNOW-MUST CUSSING IN CHINGLISH ha ha, LAO-your idea about waiting to get a good dac make sense but i just wanted to see and hear that zero and compare it to something else you know like...EMOTIVA TO THE OTHER BIG PRICE $$$$ HIGH END AUDIO!? PMD- is that AKG----ok for you ? i wanted to try the
AKG-K701 AND SENN HD-650 next..what do you guys know.
wyn.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #102 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the newbies...

Don't waste time, patience and money trying to fit those audio-gd discrete opamps, it isn't worth it.

Use an outstanding new audio opamp like the OPA2211, or go directly with the better (than the equivalents) Burson discrete opamp.
wink.gif

The Burson OPA is made by Audio-gd.

hopeless = Andrea folks. Just so you know....

Peete.

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #103 of 336
@Peete: y, Burson is the old version of the current HDAMs from audio-gd.

@Paul: y, boy, lol
tongue.gif
It has never been an input!
biggrin.gif
It is labeled as Line out
smily_headphones1.gif
It works just like in the old version, an output right out of the DAC analog circuit meant to bypass the amp of the zero by using an external one. As you know now the only inputs the zero got are digital ones (coax, optical and USB)
wink.gif
Big booboo there, but as I said, it's better than having a malfunction
tongue.gif
The zero is a more a DAC than an amp in the sense that its amp section is not so worth to use as an stand alone amp, while the DAC is good enough to play the role of outboard DAC. All all-in-one DAC+AMP solutions offer you an analog output straight from the DAC or preamped buy the amp section after the DAC. The compass is an all-in-one DAC+AMP which has a line in, so in this case you can use the analog out from your CD player to be amplified by the AMP section of compass. But usually people don't buy an DAC+AMP to use just like an AMP, it's a big waste of money. Now that all misunderstandings are cleared up, enjoy your music OUT of your zero
wink.gif

@wyn: y, things are OUT as you say
biggrin.gif
About your choice to try the zero as DAC and AMP, I understand you and it really is complete legitimate! Very often we only see how good an equipment is when we compare it to others. Starting from a less expensive solution will make you value the money invested in more expensive gears and understand what make these more expensive gears so much better (or not). About the headphones, I can tell you that the HD650 is clearly different, more consistent, more tight, more equilibrated than my previous HD515, that's for sure. It's a top-notch piece of equipment. About the K701, I can't say much about them, I've only see it in pictures. All I can say is that personal taste may be of a big importance on your decision to which gear to chose, not only the money.

lao

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #104 of 336
I know Lao
smily_headphones1.gif
The BA module is the first gen Earth module from Audio-gd. I have one along with all of the other revs and generations of Sun, Moon, and Earth (not to mention many LT.BB and TI IC OPA's).

Peete.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #105 of 336
Looking at the images, it looks like it only has 1 indicator light for digital input now (the 'Optical' indicator light was replace by the 'mute' indicator light it seems). So how do you know what input its using? Do the optical, coaxial, and USB inputs each have their own distinct color or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back