Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
May 30, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #31 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of mine was modded, the other was standard.
smily_headphones1.gif

If they spent another $2 on the PCB, I'm thinking the failure rate would be far lower. As things are, the name is tainted, and too many people have been mucked around by their(a...) reseller. I doubt the Zero will recover, and it's a shame - but the current reputation is - IMO - sadly deserved.

~Phewl.

Like all Courses at the "School of Hard Knocks", your Tuition was PAID in full.

May 30, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #32 of 336
It was an expensive course, and left me with zero worthwhile qualifications.
wink.gif

~Phewl.

May 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #33 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was an expensive course, and left me with zero worthwhile qualifications.
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Au Contraire mon ami!

You are now "ZERO" Certified!

You are now "ZERO" Experienced!

You have been "ZERO" Educated!

You are now a "ZERO" Expert!

You know what it's like to get "ZERO" return emails from LC!

You are an expert in what "ZERO" customer service and "ZERO" reliability feels like!

You have tons more "ZERO" experience than most "ZERO" buyers, who have "ZERO" clues about this manufacturer!

Ohhh, and you have "ZERO" Quid left in your Wallet!

PK202~Smashing-Pumpkins-Zero-Posters.jpg

May 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #34 of 336
Too late, I've just bought (ebay) the new version of the zero (stock setting)
atsmile.gif
I'm really tight in money at this time and can't afford the compass (I pray for it to last a long time
63.gif
). Since I've never used an dedicated DAC+AMP in my life, I hope that zero along with the HD650 (gift) will be enough to my non-trained ears
biggrin.gif
Ofc, I will not be able to review it or give any SQ comparison, just my modest impression
rolleyes.gif
But I'm pretty sure that other more experiment head-fi members will grab one of these to test
smily_headphones1.gif

lao

May 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #35 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too late, I've just bought (ebay) the new version of the zero (stock setting)
atsmile.gif
I'm really tight in money at this time and can't afford the compass (I pray for it to last a long time
63.gif
). Since I've never used an dedicated DAC+AMP in my life, I hope that zero along with the HD650 (gift) will be enough to my non-trained ears
biggrin.gif
Ofc, I will not be able to review it or give any SQ comparison, just my modest impression
rolleyes.gif
But I'm pretty sure that other more experiment head-fi members will grab one of these to test
smily_headphones1.gif

lao

Good Luck! They are nice boxes for the price if they don't blow up. I hope you get a good one!

May 30, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #36 of 336
We are talking about the 2009 new version aren't we. Seems there's as much negative presupposition about this as there was positive speculation about the compass. People were raving about the compass before the first one rolled off the production line. And now people are commenting on a new version of the zero that no one has even heard. Its fair enough to note the problems with the older version and maybe more importantly with resellers but to comment on this version without first hand listening experience is a waste of time. I realize many who jumped off this bandwagon quickly caught the compass when it went roaring by during pre-production. Think we need a little more objectivity instead of high-fiving enthusiasm.

May 30, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #37 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are talking about the 2009 new version aren't we. Seems there's as much negative presupposition about this as there was positive speculation about the compass. People were raving about the compass before the first one rolled off the production line. And now people are commenting on a new version of the zero that no one has even heard. Its fair enough to note the problems with the older version and maybe more importantly with resellers but to comment on this version without first hand listening experience is a waste of time. I realize many who jumped off this bandwagon quickly caught the compass when it went roaring by during pre-production. Think we need a little more objectivity instead of high-fiving enthusiasm.

The difference between the Compass and the Zero (new and old version) is so vast they can't be compared fairly (the Zero is 10X worse than the Compass, maybe more)......I know the old Zero inside and out and sadly it's failure rate was/is far too high to be considered anything but unacceptable. Mine just up and died one day, many here that now complain about it have had the same thing happen to them, multiple occasions for some poor folks and then were left twisting in the breeze by the vendor......that tends to sour folks on something rather quickly and it's also something a mere refresh cannot sweep aside. The 2009 Zero has a lot to make up for...let's hope those who make the unit listened to the complaints and did something concrete about it. From the looks of the unit not a lot was changed so the comments that follow are predictable in nature. I'm willing to give it a second chance but the pcb has to be improved first and foremost otherwise it will continue to fail at an alarming rate. Why no internal pics ? Makes no sense considering that was the main selling feature of the original version.....the so called build quality.

OTOH this unit once modified, is pretty darn good ...I'm sure the new "upgrades" to the 2009 unit will be of some benefit but the jury is out on build quality. Like I've said before if they don't improve the pcb the rest really doesn't matter. It needs a better pcb, period.

Peete.

May 30, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #38 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference between the Compass and the Zero (new and old version) is so vast they can't be compared fairly (the Zero is 10X worse than the Compass, maybe more)......I know the old Zero inside and out and sadly it's failure rate was/is far too high to be considered anything but unacceptable. Mine just up and died one day, many here that now complain about it have had the same thing happen to them, multiple occasions for some poor folks and then were left twisting in the breeze by the vendor......that tends to sour folks on something rather quickly and it's also something a mere refresh cannot sweep aside. The 2009 Zero has a lot to make up for...let's hope those who make the unit listened to the complaints and did something concrete about it. From the looks of the unit not a lot was changed so the comments that follow are predictable in nature. I'm willing to give it a second chance but the pcb has to be improved first and foremost otherwise it will continue to fail at an alarming rate. Why no internal pics ? Makes no sense considering that was the main selling feature of the original version.....the so called build quality.

OTOH this unit once modified, is pretty darn good ...I'm sure the new "upgrades" to the 2009 unit will be of some benefit but the jury is out on build quality. Like I've said before if they don't improve the pcb the rest really doesn't matter. It needs a better pcb, period.

Peete.

The link below has Internal PIX. Looks like Lipstick on a Pig to me.

Reminds me of a Russian Volga.

A 2009 Volga is still a Freakin' Volga no matter how much Propaganda you read about it.

http://translate.google.com/translat...=en-us&num=100

May 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #39 of 336
After having a good look at the PCB (thanks for the link Les)...not a lot has changed, some better quality parts here and there but that pcb still looks like major POS.

I agree with you Les...what shade of pink is on that truffle magnet ?

Peete.

May 30, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #40 of 336
@peete
You're so right..the jury is still out on the 2009 version but the comments are coming fast and furious and they are speculation at this point. I realize the comparison between the compass and zero is unfair as it should be, considering the price, build quality and vendor support. My point comparing the two was the negative fanboyism vs the postive fanboysim from some here on headfi before they had even heard either one. Lets base our comments on actual listening experience and in this case no one has heard this version. Personally I won't purchase this version because of the lack of a reseller that I can trust. But I also wouldn't comment on a product without hearing it. YMMV

May 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #41 of 336
I've sent Tianyun a link to this thread, so we'll see if they are interested in defending their company and their product(s) on Head-fi.
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

May 30, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #42 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've sent Tianyun a link to this thread, so we'll see if they are interested in defending their company and their product(s) on Head-fi.
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

One only has to read your Posts and see what you are about...

May 30, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #43 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One only has to read your Posts and see what you are about...

Likewise dude, likewise. Your shirt pretty much says it all.

May 30, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #44 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Likewise dude, likewise. Your shirt pretty much says it all.

You go from thread to thread shilling Chinese Gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back