THX789 with HD800, any good?
Apr 30, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #46 of 56
IMO the effect of "cable rolling": Amp to HP> Amp to dac> Power line> dac to source. Did some test on my friend's system. Although I wanna to try some cable rolling ,the cost of making mistake are still too high for me. And if I want to do so I would start with my primary system rather than with HD800 which just a secondary system to me. Maybe getting a cheap tube is better choice for me after all.:ksc75smile:
https://www.futureshop.co.uk
Have 60 days return right. Great cable store.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #47 of 56
Actually needs more pocket rather than patience LOL

Not quite I buy and sell my tubes/cables often. A good starting "stock" or base model is the electro harmonix new production stuff. Like $20, not the best but very decent. Then compare form there, get something and don't like it... sell it! Once u collect those funds buy again, so forth and so on!

Cables are much the same way with your stock being a good place to start, and I ofc recommend starting in the second hand market for cables unless your open to my glowing recommendations for Audio Envy copper or FBI Silver [Teds headfood]

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #48 of 56
I’ve heard a $1.6k pair of cables on a headphone that I’ve heard many times before and was this cable better than stock yes without a doubt was it 5x better that I will not say as how can you judge a percentage in audio as it is a subjective thing. Is there something that can come close ? This is the rub . When you are talking about this kind of money what is really better? Headphone audio is even more subjective than two channel stuff . I’ve got fairly decent gear but have a hard time dropping big coin on cables though I know some are really good it is just hard for me to drop the money. Two that I have thought about is Dana and DHC have heard both and damn to hard to pull the trigger.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #49 of 56
I’ve heard a $1.6k pair of cables on a headphone that I’ve heard many times before and was this cable better than stock yes without a doubt was it 5x better that I will not say as how can you judge a percentage in audio as it is a subjective thing. Is there something that can come close ? This is the rub . When you are talking about this kind of money what is really better? Headphone audio is even more subjective than two channel stuff . I’ve got fairly decent gear but have a hard time dropping big coin on cables though I know some are really good it is just hard for me to drop the money. Two that I have thought about is Dana and DHC have heard both and damn to hard to pull the trigger.

Most I've spent to date on a cable is like $360ish?

I also don't care to go much more than that to be honest. Not right now, not when I'm really happy with the copper and silver options I've found. An I've heard quite a lot of different materials an geometry designs around the $300 median price range

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #50 of 56
Is there someone who prefer the Drop THX 789 with the HD800 or should I better search for a tube amp like Valhalla?
I could buy a used 789 but I‘m not shure if he help me. I‘ve a Amity HPA 9 S2 but he doesn‘t harmonize with my HD800

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #51 of 56
Hi! I currently have a hd800 with two different bottlehead tube amps (crack and mainline). I picked up a drop thx amp when they lowered the price -100, because I thought it might be nice to have a good solid state amp that was especially well reviewed. Unfortunately, the pairing was mediocre to my ears. I ended up returning the thx to drop, not because its a bad amp by any means, but compared to tube amp pairings with the HD800 I just wasnt a fan.

Like many people here, I would strongly suggest pairing the hd800 with an OTL tube amp.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #52 of 56
Is there someone who prefer the Drop THX 789 with the HD800 or should I better search for a tube amp like Valhalla?
I could buy a used 789 but I‘m not shure if he help me. I‘ve a Amity HPA 9 S2 but he doesn‘t harmonize with my HD800
I doubt a Valhalla would be very good with the 800’s as it for a tube amp is very bright and sounded very solid state to me for a tube amp. Only had it for a few weeks and did not have the 800’s at the time but just don’t think it would be a good pairing. After giving a listen to the 789 and the 800’s and will agree with the other poster as not a good pairing as well . I find it having too shouty mids detail was fine but maybe a tad bright but not a deal breaker but the mids were. I don’t know if it is a impedance thing as I felt the same way with my Verites . Switching to my Liquid Platinum and all is good.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #53 of 56
I doubt a Valhalla would be very good with the 800’s as it for a tube amp is very bright and sounded very solid state to me for a tube amp. Only had it for a few weeks and did not have the 800’s at the time but just don’t think it would be a good pairing. After giving a listen to the 789 and the 800’s and will agree with the other poster as not a good pairing as well . I find it having too shouty mids detail was fine but maybe a tad bright but not a deal breaker but the mids were. I don’t know if it is a impedance thing as I felt the same way with my Verites . Switching to my Liquid Platinum and all is good.
Thanks a lot for the hint. I already suspected it.:)
I see that you have a lot of amps and the HD800. Which of your amps do you prefer with the HD800?

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #54 of 56
I see that you have a lot of amps and the HD800. Which of your amps do you prefer with the HD800?

What difference does it make now that you have you V281 :D

The only possible improvement is some OTL tube amp. Solid state will not get any better, just maybe some different sound characteristic.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #55 of 56
Right now would probably be the Audio GD Master 9. It has just a bit of warmth and lots of power to drive them effortlessly. Still in the process of making a balanced cable for them to see see what 1.25w@300 ohms would sound like but been a bit too busy lately.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #56 of 56
I personally wouldn't use the HD800 with the 789. I owned the 887 which is basically the exact same amp as the 789 and it made every headphone I had sound brighter and more harsh to my ears, granted I am high treble sensitive.

I can only imagine putting the HD800 with the 789, that to me doesn't sound like a good idea, would be wayy too bright and peaky, but this is just my experience with the amp and what it does to all the headphones I have used on it.

I'm not particularity happy with any THX amps and what they do personally, so take that into account as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back