THX Monolith vs Modius + Jotunheim for Sennheiser HD 650
Jan 13, 2021 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cmahesh

New Head-Fier
I am planning to buy a Sennheiser HD 650 soon while keeping my HD 598 as well. As my present headphone amp (Little Dot 1+) is not generally considered as sufficient to drive HD 650, I am considering to buy a new DAC and AMP along with the headphone. At the moment I am considering Schiit Modius + Jotunheim stack or Monoprice THX Monolith DAC/AMP. I would like to connect the headphone to the amp via a balanced cable. I am mostly listening to classical music but I also listen to new age music like Yanni and Enya as well. And, a wide sound stage is also something I really enjoy. So what will be the best choice for me?

(I was using Schiit Modi as my DAC but unfortunately, a lightning strike destroyed the left channel of it and now I have hooked the amp to my Asus Xonar U7, which I found much less musical compared to the Modi)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 5
Before you commit to anything, why not give a listen with your current setup? I've found the HD6xx very easy to drive with basic amps or even straight from the DAP, especially balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back