Thunderpants vs Denon D-7000
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15
Just so everyone is aware, I'll start posting my in-depth review on here, piece by piece. The gear and tracks used for this evaluation were:

Source: FiiO E10
Amp: TTVJ Slim
Reference Tracks:
ALACs: - Drunk On Love by Basia (Bass impact test)
            - Yearning by Basia (mid-bass/bass clarity test and female vocal test)
            - Nitakungodea Milele (Live in London) by Al Jarreau (soundstage/imaging test)
            - Spain by Al Jarreau (Speed/Dynamics test)
            - Got To Get You Into My Life by Earth, Wind, and Fire (High Sparkle/ Clarity Test)
            - Mirabella by Earl Klugh (Treble smoothness test)

Comfort:

Denon D-7000:

The D-7000 was very comfortable. Though the leather was not as supple as real leather (because it wasn't real leather), it was still quite comfortable. I found the headband assembly to be a bit rigid on the top of my head, but other than that the headphone was very comfortable. The D-7000 was considerably lighter than the Thunderpants and would probably be better suited for long listening sessions.

Thunderpants TP1:

The TP1 is HEAVY. Very very HEAVY. Now, don't let this make you think that the headphone is uncomfortable. It is actually very comfortable. The leather headband that Gary provides helps to reduce some of the weight on the crown of your head and the LCD-2 pads (+$80) help to reduce clamping force on your ears. While, for what it is, the TP1 is very uncomfortable, it is most definitely less comfortable than the D-7000.

EDGE: D-7000

Ergonomics:

Denon D-7000:

The D-7000 is pretty polished. The headband has nice little clicks when adjusting and the cable is nice and pliable. It's conveniently terminated and very easy to walk or look around with.

Thunderpants TP1:

The TP1 has some ergonomic challenges. The adjustment rods start off very difficult to move. This is countered, however, by the fact that the TP1 cups can wiggle a bit in the direction of each axis, allowing the cups to move around to help lessen pressure.  Another thing that the TP1s have going for them, at least in my case, is that the real leather pads from the LCD-2's actually warm up and squeeze toward your head more after a bit of wearing. The cabling is a bit too long and the termination isn't the best in terms of assembly.

EDGE:  D-7000

Appearances:

Denon D-7000:

The D-7000 is a handsome headphone. The Mahogany cups exude decacence, while the inlaid metal Denon logo simply and understatedly reminds you of the maker. The leather headband and pads are...reasonable looking. The chrome adjustment rods are a nice touch as well, though a bit tacky in my book.

Thunderpants TP1:

My TP1's are a quilted sapele that has a finish that screams arduously hand-crafted. The fostex/leather headband and copper-colored finishings all lend a bit of retro/steampunk appeal to the TP1, which in my book is completely unique. The TP1 's appearances are something to behold in person, truly amazing.

EDGE: TP1

Sound:

Denon D-7000:

We'll go from the bottom up.

Bass: Bass extension is ok. While it doesn't go all the way down (as planar magnetics often do), it will suffice. Some of the deepest notes I've heard are made by the jugs being played at the beginning of "Yearning". While the D-7000 "handles them, it by no means renders the deepest parts of th e notes, causing them to lack a bit of resolution. Bass impact is again OK. The main issue to be taken with the D-7000 is that it sounds wooly down low. There's something terribly loose about the low mids and bass section of the D-7000. I think the bleeding of the low end tones into one another is what gives the illusion of bass being a bit on the flabby side. This headphone is definitely on the side of what many would call "lush".

Low-Mids/Mids: Again, very lush, but almost nasally sounding. There's a small amount of that gives the bottom part of both male and female vocals a bit of unnatural heft.  Instruments withing this range are rendered nicely, but don't feel as airy as is necessary. Clarity is good, but the tonality just feels a bit too warm for a headphone of this price.

Treble: There's a bit of sparkle hiding here somewhere. Trumpets get a bit of brassy sizzle and high-hats do feel fairly defined. The guitar notes on "Mirabella" seem to be a bit too much treble for the can to handle, though. This may have more to do with pacing and rhythm, but it's concerning nonetheless. All said and done, the treble is good. Not great, but good.

Speed/Dynamics: A little slow. In complex passages of "Spain", the obviously separate percussion and vocal percussion seem to get a bit lost. Shifts in dynamics don't quite have the sweep that live shifts in dynamics do. The lack of speed may also explain why the treble didn't feeel quite as great as expected.

Soundstage: As a sealed can, this isn't gonna get very big. The image has a comparable amount of width and height lending a slightly spherical stage to music. Good enough, but definitely not out-of-head.

Imaging: Not enough separation. Instruments and voices don't feel like they've had room to breathe. Accurately placed, but just not enough space.

Thunderpants TP1:

Bass: Bass extension is great. In my comparisons with the LCD-2, I found that the bass was almost effortless. The TP1, at least in terms of extension, is actually quite similar. The impact and dynamics aren't as effortless, but I feel like that's a limitation of the driver size on the TP1s. The tightness and texture are great, but the slightly recessed bass presentation (at least with my LCD-2 pads) will have you cranking for a bit more of the bass (and I'm no basshead). These are slightly more bass-light than even the HE-500. All-in-all, the bass is satisfactory. Better than the wooly, loose low-end on the Denons, in my opinion.

Low-Mids/Mids:Very neutral, bordering on dry. The mids are presented as they were recorded, no more, no less. The mids are given much more room to breathe with the TP1s. This may have to do with soundstage focus, but voices feel airily suspended in the image. Very good.

Treble: Enough sizzle for wood blocks in "Yearning" to have great attack, with low enough transient-ring to prevent jumbled perception of decay. There's enough energy for great highs, but not so much energy that it gets sibilant. Not as coherent as HD-800 treble, but still quite good.

Speed/Dynamics: Pretty quick. Keeps up well with dynamic sweeps and complex music. "Spain" felt like each instrument was executed quickly and allowed it's proper timing in the image. I always know a quick can when the music all feels a bit faster than I remember it being. The TP1 feels quick. Not electrostatic quick, but quick.

Soundstage: Surprisingly good, size-wise. Wide, though honestly not very tall. Thick harmonic phrases feel if they are meant to be presented in central layers. Sounds fairly large on live recordings, though at times (being a sealed can) during Al Jarreau's Live in London recordings, the audience felt a bit too close to the performer. Overall, good soundstage for a sealed can, but nothing to brag about compared to most high-end open-backs.

Imaging: Good. Everything feels like it has its proper place. Everything has space to breathe in the image. The only part of this that was awkward was that lower-mid range voices tend to drop back in the image, lending slightly deeper male voices a slightly "hands-cupped-over-ear" quality. I find that proper amp pairing easily resolves the low-mid presentation issues, as my TTVJ slim (with it's forward, lush sounding mids) helped a great deal in this regard.

EDGE: TP1

Final Thoughts:

For me, it has been, and will always be sound first. With that in mind, while it seems as though the cans are evenly split in this shoot-out, the TP1 is definitely the better sounding can, and that is what matters most. It's more technical and better performing. More than anything, it takes what you feed it and presents it to you. I can understand coloration if it is pleasurable, but the D-7000's tuning was too much for me. The bloom in the low-mids and bass made me lose sight of low-level details and while I could see the D-7000 as a "fun" headphone, I find myself not quite trusting its fidelity. It isn't a bad headphone, but for is price tier, and especially in comparison to the TP1, it is not up to par.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Should I return the d5000 and get the d7000? why didn't electronics expo just have both deals last week? :p

OT--but...

EE runs different deals at different times.  You have to monitor it.

The D5000 is a fine headphone.  The D7000 is better but costs about $150 more--street.  You have to decide whether the 7000 is $150 or more of an improvement for you (assuming your budget can handle the increase).

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
OT--but...

EE runs different deals at different times.  You have to monitor it.

The D5000 is a fine headphone.  The D7000 is better but costs about $150 more--street.  You have to decide whether the 7000 is $150 or more of an improvement for you (assuming your budget can handle the increase).

Sorry got OT but thanks for the input anyways! I would have gotten the D7000 off the bat if I had both prices laid out in front of me, but the D5000 is scheduled to arrive Thursday. Hmmmmm

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Sorry got OT but thanks for the input anyways! I would have gotten the D7000 off the bat if I had both prices laid out in front of me, but the D5000 is scheduled to arrive Thursday. Hmmmmm

It's only Wednesday. If you really desire the D7000 and would be willing to pay the difference plus shipping costs, have EE issue a "Return Call." 

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 15
Might wanna read this first:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Kojaku

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Might wanna read this first:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
Kojaku

I've very sorry for taking this thread off topic. I was and still am very excited to read your review. My current question at hand is more complicated than covered in that link. My budget has opened up somewhat so I can look at higher priced headphones. Also, I am opened to opened back cans. Regardless, I have started my own thread. Please feel free to contribute your insight/input in there. I will stop side tracking your thread now. :)

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 15
Added my notes on ergonomics, comfort, appearances, and sound (of the D-7000 only at this point). Stay tuned for the TP1's performance in the sound column.

Kojaku

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Review completed. Please feel free to ask any questions you'd like.

Kojaku

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 15
Great review, thanks. I've been struggling between the Thunderpants and a Lawton modified Denon for awhile. I didn't like the stock D2000 at all - muddy bass, V shaped frequency response with recessed mids and grainy highs. The LA models are supposed to correct all of those issues, but obviously there's no way to audition beforehand. I'm surprised that you found the TP1 to be relatively bass light, I don't remember seeing that in other impressions. That's a bit of a concern actually because I'm looking for strong response, just without the stock Denon mud and flab.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 15
The latest batch of TP1s has been more neutral than past batches. The bass isn't really light, as much as it's a bit recessed. It more than enough bass for most people, but I mean...after owning the LCD-2, all other bass feels inadequate...

Kojaku

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 15
I have the Rastapants (admittedly, not the Thunderpants) and the D7000's, and in my opinion, at least, they're *very* different headphones with very different sound. I think they both compliment each other quite well, rather than replace each other. If I want to listen to classical, I grab my Denons (though the Rastapants do classical nicely with the right amp), if I want to listen to metal, I grab my Rastapants. If I want to listen to electronic, I grab my Denons, and if I want to listen to folk, I use my Polks. :D

An interesting comparison nonetheless, and while all the modded T50rp's (Thunderpants included) receive a lot of attention, I still think they deserve more. They really are that good.
And the D7000 and modded T50rp combo is one hell of a duo.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Great review by op. I must say I struggled with the keep the Denon D7000 or sell when compared to my Fostex T50 question. I have a modded T50 and a Thunderpants variant and though the Denons and the Fostex are very different sounding I kept the Fostex and sold the Denon. The reasons were that I found the Denons to be slightly grainy in sound, especially in treble registers, and the bass was woolly compared to the Fostex. Mids are just alive. It was a no brainer for me really and I still stand by my decision. My Thunderpants mod was surprisingly outstanding - I wrote it up in the Thunderpants thread. Thunderpants definately bests the Denon in the genres I listen to - generally acoustic jazz, classical. I can't venture an opinion on electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back