Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Sep 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #271 of 879
What are the odds of another group buy happening after this one? I realize that too many orders at once makes it insanely difficult for Smeggy, but I'm curious as to whether another could happen right after the current one when things have settled down some.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #272 of 879
Nothing is ruled out at this time, though the $100 discount is a big hit on the small margins I make and I'm not certain it's economically plausible to do another run yet. Right now I simply don't know. It may be possible if I can cut the labor time involved with new tools and jigs because each set takes a lot of time to make and assemble. I don't have any automation and nothing is pre-built. Everything is done by hand one piece at a time, which I enjoy, but is hardly efficient. Custom phone making isn't production line stuff, each set is an individual and no two sets are identical. My R&D is ongoing with each set and they will continue to evolve as I go.

As many here know, it's also proving somewhat difficult to get steady stocks of the T50's as the dealers keep running out of them. I buy mine the same way as everyone else, from whoever has any! I've had to import them from other countries when the US was out which instantly doubles their price so I'm still trying to get a better supply line from Fostex worked out so it doesn't keep happening.

Anyway, that's about where things are at the moment. If it's possible and viable I would love to do another Group buy.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #273 of 879
Would it be helpful if we sourced our own T50's? Supposedly new stock arrives the 30th.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #275 of 879
Cool. Maybe we can get Fostex to give you a direct line for future orders.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #277 of 879
I'd be interested...but I have yet to hear these wonderful cans!

Is there a floating pair of Thunderpants that's making it's rounds? Are there any Canadians willing to let a fellow HF-er try theirs out for a few days? I would cover the cost of shipping of course!

Gary, your woodwork is simply stunning. Love it!

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #281 of 879
^ haha..awesome. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #282 of 879
Group buy wait list still open?

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #283 of 879
Anyone have a pic of TP w/ LCD2 pads?  

I put that in as my request but I can't recall seeing any photos, just don't want to second guess myself too much, esp if they look wonky/hideous 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I'm also trying to understand why the majority of pad upgrades are for the O2s, which don't seem to perform as well (based on Smeggy's breakdown)  and cost nearly twice as much.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #284 of 879
Ack!

oh man.... :eek:

Ok, pads, the Stax pads are still the most comfy of them all which for some is the deciding factor, also, they still sound extremely nice. The Audeze pads are a little bigger but not ridiculously so. The phones look fine with them so no need to worry about looks.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #285 of 879

Quote:
Ack!
oh man....
eek.gif

Ok, pads, the Stax pads are still the most comfy of them all which for some is the deciding factor, also, they still sound extremely nice. The Audeze pads are a little bigger but not ridiculously so. The phones look fine with them so no need to worry about looks.

Do they Sound better than O2 pads?? The rev 2 pads.

^^ Sound = supreme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back