Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
May 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #783 of 879
What about ontherivets pair? Hrrrm... maybe it's the change in baffle material? or a different type of damping material?

May 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #784 of 879
Quote:

Those graphs look very similar to the SQ I heard from my TP1's: Too much bass, huge suckout around 200 Hz, and rolled off treble. The midrange was extremely recessed and hollow. The treble simply was not present. I wonder what Tari and Draygon think about theirs?  I was sorely disappointed after all the glowing reviews. I told Smeggy what I heard and what I saw from my DIY measurements which are similar to Tyll's. Smeggy said he remembered how he tuned ontherivet's set and told me he knew how to fix the problems with my set. I'm still waiting.

May 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #785 of 879
I had mine for a week and didn't test them against my other headphones due to new toy syndrome. I do like the pronounced bass as I want these to be a compliment to the HD800s. I wish I had compared them but I didn't think 3 things would go wrong in the first week. I bought the TP1s for their look, after I get them back if I want changes to the sound I will have mrspeakers mod them. I won't deal with Smeggy again.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #786 of 879
I did a sweep test from 10-300hz and noticed the recession around 220-260 or so as well.  Otherwise the bass is pretty solid and clear, I don't hear any bloat or excessiveness, it begins to drop gracefully from about 40hz down to 10 where it's barely audible.  

The issues of reduced midrange I'm not sure I'm picking up on as much, but I think in general that's because I'm not a big fan of a forward sound... I much prefer depth, instrument separation, clarity, dynamics, etc.  These cans have them in spades.  I can listen to complex music pretty loudly without the sound trending toward sibilance or becoming a mush.  I guess nothing is perfect, but the overall sound is quite coherent, a bit startling to have this in a closed-back sealed setup.  More speakerlike than anything I've heard if driven well - the difference between my desktop setup (WA6SE) vs. using an E17 is pretty significant.  As such I have an O2/ODAC on the way.  I have no choice in the matter, I just quit my job to transition to do remote contract work, so transportability is a must.

My main issue again is the weight, some days I have no problem with it, some other days I get a crick in my neck, but I do tend to listen for 4+ hours at a time.   Just to note I'm a pretty small guy (5'5", 130 lbs).  Maybe I should do neck exercises or something :)

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #787 of 879
Quote:
Looks to me the newer TP1s are different than the older one that was measured last year. Looks like they have a larger hump at 70-200hz. To me this would translate to MOAR bass. The other thing that pops out to me is the 30hz measurements. Perhaps, the bass isn't as tight? I would be interested to find out what pads are used with each measurement. I find my TP1s can have too much bass at times. If I were to compare them to my LCD-2r2s I'd say the LCD-2s get it right all the time, where certain bass heavy tracks with the TP1s are too heavy. Perhaps, it's the pads I'm using. I'm using the standard T50RP pads.

Just so you guys know...pads make a huge difference with the T50RP's.

The Thunderpants are not tuned to be neutral either. They are tuned to please Smeggy. To his credit, everything Smeggy had tuned, even some Denon's, carry his own personal signature. If you guys don't like the sound of the Thunderpants, don't blame Smeggy....he is quite consistent. What I would do is simply open them and re-tune them to my liking.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #789 of 879
Double Dragons eh? Pictures when you receive such double dragon pair are awaited. 
tongue.gif
 I think I caught a glimpse of a pair a while ago and thought it was some awesome carving!

-M

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #790 of 879
Quote:
Double Dragons eh? Pictures when you receive such double dragon pair are awaited. 
tongue.gif
 I think I caught a glimpse of a pair a while ago and thought it was some awesome carving!

-M

This set of TP1 "Double Dragons" is a beautiful functional art piece that reminds me of Game of Thrones. I asked about the type of exotic wood used but I've not yet received an answer. In addition to the 1/8 inch bass ports/brass grommets on top of the cups, there is a 1/16 inch bass port/brass grommet highlighting each Dragon eye (not shown in these photos). The stock headband rubber covering was removed which reduces the weight by ~ 50 grams. A section of leather belt was super glued to the headband hangers for much improved comfort over the stock headband.  The leather has beveled edges and the "end caps" are finished smoothly for a more professional look. Tech-Flex sheathing around the cable looks nice and the cable was terminated with a Neutrik plug. Stock pads with a ring of closed cell foam underneath.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #791 of 879
Congrats, they look amazing! Thats some nice carving!

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #793 of 879
Quote:
The stock headband rubber covering was removed which reduces the weight by ~ 50 grams. A section of leather belt was super glued to the headband hangers for much improved comfort over the stock headband.  The leather has beveled edges and the "end caps" are finished smoothly for a more professional look. 

First off, those truly are godly, congrats.  Now this comment has me curious... would you mind taking photos of the headband?  I might want to do something similar.  I wear mine like 4-6 hours/day (while working) and although my neck appears to have adjusted, dropping that much weight would definitely be nice.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #794 of 879
Quote:

First off, those truly are godly, congrats.  Now this comment has me curious... would you mind taking photos of the headband?  I might want to do something similar.  I wear mine like 4-6 hours/day (while working) and although my neck appears to have adjusted, dropping that much weight would definitely be nice.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #795 of 879
haha I like it. The leather headband is what I found most comfortable for me. Also you might want to check out the suspension mod that LFF put together. It will cost you next to nothing and is more comfortable than the leather but it was a bit cumbersome for me since I like to wear myn on the go. 

-M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back