Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Mar 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #691 of 879

Probably custom jobs.

Quote:
I've been in communication with Gary recently as I was considering a pair of thunderpants. He was always quick to respond for me, and said the build/ship time was about a month. He also had 3 pairs for sale on his site for immediate shipment, I'm a bit suprised people in the group buy are still waiting for their pair.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #692 of 879
Mar 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #693 of 879
I have just been informed that Smeggy has completed my set. He will send them to Tyll at Innerfidelity for testing. Can't wait to see how the latest batch performs.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #694 of 879
Which pads?

Quote:
I have just been informed that Smeggy has completed my set. He will send them to Tyll at Innerfidelity for testing. Can't wait to see how the latest batch performs.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #697 of 879
a few things:

http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/576646/null

more in the album above.

a) Smeggy got me the wrong plug (we agreed on a 3.5mm with a click on 6.3). Nice cable though.
b) The headband is bloody useless for such a heavy headphone. Sure it's a nice leather belt? But you need padding...not stiff leather.
c) no lr indication (I put a dot in marker on the inside of the headband, although on second thought the writing on the inside of the headband from the leather belt is enough to put them on the right way)
d) pretty/nice cup finish
e) still some minor finish blunders (uneven glue on the tubes, glue stain on headband/dent on the headband (wiped off with a damp cloth)/not quite properly cut off masking tape type thing used between cup and earpad), but you can see the quality of the finish is better than before where on some pics it seemed a lot more DIY.
f) wow... the bass...
g) wow... the mass of the cups. must do neck exercises. The most comfortable position is laying down on the bed. if only the cable was long enough.

That is all. (preliminary impressions)

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #698 of 879

pad-wise - I feel velour ones sound better. It seems like there's some sort of odd resonances or something with gel pads (plus the mids feel relatively more recessed and I feel like EQing)

With velour pads I feel a need to eq up about 1.5db at 60hz, and 2.5db at 30hz, and about 0.5-2-0.5 db between 1 and 3khz
but the weird sound characteristic from above isn't there.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #699 of 879
So I got my TP1s in.  There are a few things wrong with them, but Gary apologized and said he would fix all and get them back to me ASAP.  I'll give him a chance to correct things and just focus on the sound right now.

I have a Metrum Octave -> Maxxed (earlier 2k9 version, all blackgates) WA6SE.  I've played around with various tubes, and oddly enough I like the same setup I've been using with my Edition 8s.  It must be a general personal preference thing.

One of the things wrong with the order was the pad choice... I had originally specified LCD-2 pads, but saw how big they looked in some post, so changed my order to O2s before paying.  But I received LCD-2 pads, and indeed they are quite massive in person. The on-head experience is good though.  I think I'll keep these and ask for a refund, esp. as I've seen some issues with the O2s wearing out prematurely.

The first day I used them I wasn't quite sure how I felt about them compared to my Edition 8s.  The Ed8s certainly sounded more 'fun', but these sound more neutral, spacious, better separation.  One thing was a distinct lack of low end which surprised me, esp. with the LCD-2 pads which I assumed isolated well.  I even pushed them down to make sure they were sealing alright and the bass was just really recessed - and esp. it was like a stat in that it's heard but not 'felt'.

This morning I took a look at the pads and tried all sorts of adjustments.  Basically I stuck the phones on my head and traced with my fingers how they were mating up, and it seemed like they needed to be twisted back quite a bit.  I did that and it helped some, but then I pushed the pads forward - like really forward, maybe almost an inch.  The bass came way up, at least 5 db, almost a bit to where it's a bit bloaty.  Pushing back a tiny bit just about gets things about right.  It feels a bit funky as the front of the pads are almost on top of my cheekbones.  I think what's going on is now there is this larger area against my face where the sound can reflect against.  Also there was what I perceived to be a sibilant nature which seems to have been fixed... probably more than anything is that I can get more 'oomph' out of them at a lower volume.

The LCD-2 pads are quite comfy and seem to make these feel less heavy than they are.  But I do feel the need to take a break after every 2 hours or so, whereas the Ed8s are barely percerptable . The Ed8s probably have the advantage in some areas but I'll need to go back and forth.  Certainly the TP1s require more power, I find I have them at 11 o'clock for a similar volume I get from the Ed8s at approx 8.

Overall from a sonics standpoint I like these quite a bit.  Really nice. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #700 of 879

Porting is critical on these 'phones. Mine were originally delivered with O2 pads (and I was one of the people who commented on their rapid foam compression). They came with one port and bass was great. I had mine converted to the LC-2 pads. Gary then added a second port (in part because he knows I am a bass fan). With two ports I actually felt bass was a bit too pronounced. However plugging one port went too far in the other direction. I ended up buying some tiny grommets and glued them into one port on each cup and bass is exactly where I want it. In effect I now have 1.5 ports.

Big disclaimer, I am not recommending that anyone follow my example, nor I am suggesting that my experience will be applicable for anyone else. This is just for illustrative purposes.
Quote:
So I got my TP1s in.  There are a few things wrong with them, but Gary apologized and said he would fix all and get them back to me ASAP.  I'll give him a chance to correct things and just focus on the sound right now.

I have a Metrum Octave -> Maxxed (earlier 2k9 version, all blackgates) WA6SE.  I've played around with various tubes, and oddly enough I like the same setup I've been using with my Edition 8s.  It must be a general personal preference thing.

One of the things wrong with the order was the pad choice... I had originally specified LCD-2 pads, but saw how big they looked in some post, so changed my order to O2s before paying.  But I received LCD-2 pads, and indeed they are quite massive in person. The on-head experience is good though.  I think I'll keep these and ask for a refund, esp. as I've seen some issues with the O2s wearing out prematurely.

The first day I used them I wasn't quite sure how I felt about them compared to my Edition 8s.  The Ed8s certainly sounded more 'fun', but these sound more neutral, spacious, better separation.  One thing was a distinct lack of low end which surprised me, esp. with the LCD-2 pads which I assumed isolated well.  I even pushed them down to make sure they were sealing alright and the bass was just really recessed - and esp. it was like a stat in that it's heard but not 'felt'.

This morning I took a look at the pads and tried all sorts of adjustments.  Basically I stuck the phones on my head and traced with my fingers how they were mating up, and it seemed like they needed to be twisted back quite a bit.  I did that and it helped some, but then I pushed the pads forward - like really forward, maybe almost an inch.  The bass came way up, at least 5 db, almost a bit to where it's a bit bloaty.  Pushing back a tiny bit just about gets things about right.  It feels a bit funky as the front of the pads are almost on top of my cheekbones.  I think what's going on is now there is this larger area against my face where the sound can reflect against.  Also there was what I perceived to be a sibilant nature which seems to have been fixed... probably more than anything is that I can get more 'oomph' out of them at a lower volume.

The LCD-2 pads are quite comfy and seem to make these feel less heavy than they are.  But I do feel the need to take a break after every 2 hours or so, whereas the Ed8s are barely percerptable . The Ed8s probably have the advantage in some areas but I'll need to go back and forth.  Certainly the TP1s require more power, I find I have them at 11 o'clock for a similar volume I get from the Ed8s at approx 8.

Overall from a sonics standpoint I like these quite a bit.  Really nice. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #701 of 879
Quote:
Porting is critical on these 'phones. Mine were originally delivered with O2 pads (and I was one of the people who commented on their rapid foam compression). They came with one port and bass was great. I had mine converted to the LC-2 pads. Gary then added a second port (in part because he knows I am a bass fan). With two ports I actually felt bass was a bit too pronounced. However plugging one port went too far in the other direction. I ended up buying some tiny grommets and glued them into one port on each cup and bass is exactly where I want it. In effect I now have 1.5 ports.

Big disclaimer, I am not recommending that anyone follow my example, nor I am suggesting that my experience will be applicable for anyone else. This is just for illustrative purposes.

Just curious, have you tried positioning like I mentioned?  The thing is it may not be obvious because it feels pretty weird - instead of around your ears the front of the pads are now resting on your cheeks.  

Disclaimer: I'm a small guy with a 6 7/8/ 55cm head.  

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #702 of 879
Just tried it. Bass actually became more recessed with that configuration. If it matters, in helmets I take a 61cm. Hats usually 7 3/8.

Quote:
Just curious, have you tried positioning like I mentioned?  The thing is it may not be obvious because it feels pretty weird - instead of around your ears the front of the pads are now resting on your cheeks.  

Disclaimer: I'm a small guy with a 6 7/8/ 55cm head.  

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #703 of 879

Quote:
Just tried it. Bass actually became more recessed with that configuration. If it matters, in helmets I take a 61cm. Hats usually 7 3/8.

Okay, well I found that I don't actually like the sound too much with how I'm wearing it... more bass, but the sound is a bit diffuse.  I sent them back to be refitted with O2 pads, and Gary offerred to put in an extra mini-bass port that can be easily blocked off that will give a touch more oomph to it. 

I'm fine with having to replace O2 pads every so often, pricey as they are.  Esp. if they sound better and are more comfy for long listening sessions (I tend to go 4-8 hours daily as these are for an office rig).

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #704 of 879
I switched back to Beyerdynamic T70s this week.  Had been listening to the modded T50RPs for months with the Ming Da amp, Cambridge Audio DACMagic and 1st gen AppleTV running lossless file.  Really liked the way they sounded.  However, I switched back to the T70s and rolled in some vintage Sylvania black plate 12AT7s (to tame the highs).........I must say the T70s sound better........more refined and cleaner sounding, albeit at 4.5X the price.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #705 of 879
I think you'll really like the O2 pads, very comfortable, and 2 ports will give you a lot of flexibility in tuning bass.

Quote:
Okay, well I found that I don't actually like the sound too much with how I'm wearing it... more bass, but the sound is a bit diffuse.  I sent them back to be refitted with O2 pads, and Gary offerred to put in an extra mini-bass port that can be easily blocked off that will give a touch more oomph to it. 

I'm fine with having to replace O2 pads every so often, pricey as they are.  Esp. if they sound better and are more comfy for long listening sessions (I tend to go 4-8 hours daily as these are for an office rig).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back