Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Aug 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #346 of 384
Well looks like i got lucky with the "brown dog adapters".Do you have to desolder them or is it possible to pull them out without any damaging?And wow they are small!At least the stock are.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #347 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by macfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how would you recommend proceeding at this point? Looks like I'll have to solder the DIP8 adapters with sockets onto the main PCB. How should I get the browndog off of there? Again, no soldering experience, but I have access to a soldering iron and I suppose I can practice a bit on other stuff and then move to the Minibox if need be.

pick up some desoldering braid
you heat up the solder point with the braid, and the solder will flow up on the braid away from the pcb, you do that 16 times and you can remove both soic8todip8 adapter (i doubt they are browndog, i never seen such poorly soldered adapters before this thread ;P )
Note where pin1 is before you remove them
insert the sockets in the vacant holes orienting pin 1 properly, and solder in place, now place your DIP8 LME49720 in the sockets (although you will never want to downgrade anyway, so you could just solder the LME49720 to your amp directly, w/o the socket in the way
wink.gif
)

Before you ask which is pin one on the socket and/or LME, hit google for some datasheets, print them, nice to have datasheets when soldering stuff anyway.....yes, my memory sucks, so i stick to datasheets at hand
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #348 of 384
I finally got a chance to stop by my dad's to get some soldering assistance. Got the stock AD's out of there and soldered in the new adapters, then seated the LME49710s into the sockets. I thought we did pretty well, but something must have gone wrong, because now the Minibox outputs sound on the right channel at an incredibly loud and brash volume. When turning the volume knob to a mere 0.5, the sound is deafening, and it distorts the hell out of my Etymotic ER4Ps. There's also a loud hiss present on the right channel regardless of whether anything is plugged into the Minibox input or not.

What could we have possibly done wrong? Our soldering job wasn't the prettiest or cleanest, but we took great care not to let the tip of the iron touch any of the other components on the PCB. I'm feeling pretty bummed that after all of this preparation and parts ordering, I'm left with an amp in worse condition than before.

I suppose I'll see if Fang can repair the amp, if it's even repairable? Before I contact him though, any ideas as to what might be causing the amp to act the way I described? Tomorrow I'll open it up again and try re-seating both opamps, maybe that will do the trick. Again, much thanks for all of the information and assistance thus far.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #350 of 384
Hi morfic, FYI I reseated the opamps, but no luck fixing the issue. I don't have a macro lens, so these are the best shots I could come up with. Let me know if a photo from a different angle would be helpful:

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #351 of 384
So once you get the stock op amps out.You can just fit the new ones in the brown dog adapters.Ands that's it,no soldering necessary right?Oh one thing that really bugs me about this amp is the 1/8 inputs are not locking the connections!And when i move the amp they come loose and the audio cuts out.
angry_face.gif
Is this a common problem with the Minibox E+?

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #353 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know of any locking 1/8" jacks.

At least the TRS male connector should have a light but stable entry,a clicking noise letting you know you have a full entry connection inside the 1/8 female input.My Minibox has no hold on the male connector,what so ever!It's comes disconnected on it's own very easily.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #355 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh one thing that really bugs me about this amp is the 1/8 inputs are not locking the connections!And when i move the amp they come loose and the audio cuts out.
angry_face.gif
Is this a common problem with the Minibox E+?

Yep, I have the same thing happen all the time, the male connector on my iPod LOD slips out of the Minibox's female jack very easily.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #357 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My MiniBox's female jacks (both in and output) are wiggly. Fixable?

Yes it's fixable.Flash a bright light in the inputs.And you will see small metal clips(contacts) on the left of each.All you have to do is slide a pin or needle behind them and gently pry them inwards.I used a very small nail and just poked it in behind the metal clips and voila.The connections are now tighter and secure.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #358 of 384
Hey guys i just got an JH13 pro a week ago and i would like to buy this for it? would you guys recommend this for me? how about changing opamps? what opamps would i should replace to pair with my new earphones? thanks =)

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #360 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't use the MBE+ with any high-sensitivity IEMs...

Why not? I am considering getting the JH13 PRO and I have the MBE+ as one of four possibilities with the JH13s (the others being the P-51, maxxed out supermacro and a supermicro).

Any insights would be so helpful. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back