Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
May 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #301 of 384
The light is yellow when charging, and should just turn off when done charging.

I thought it was just me, but my minibox seems to recharge quicker vs when I first got the amp. I did not think this could be possible, so I always just let the minibox just charge for like a good eight hours before unplugging (regardless of whether the charge light says it is done or not). I hope its not a sign the battery is losing its ability to keep a charge, but I have no indication of that from regular use... The amp seems to go just as long as my first use...

May 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #302 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The light is yellow when charging, and should just turn off when done charging.

I thought it was just me, but my minibox seems to recharge quicker vs when I first got the amp. I did not think this could be possible, so I always just let the minibox just charge for like a good eight hours before unplugging (regardless of whether the charge light says it is done or not). I hope its not a sign the battery is losing its ability to keep a charge, but I have no indication of that from regular use... The amp seems to go just as long as my first use...

Much appreciated, Philimon! I think I'll follow your lead and keep the amp plugged in for a while. I haven't experienced any battery problems to date. But the longest I have left the MBE+ before re-charging is only about 5-6 hours.

I need to get back to comparing the MDE+ with the P51-Mustang and haven't listened to the latter for a bit. Now you made me!!! What a tough thing to have to do!

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #304 of 384
I got some adult Lego bricks (aka opamps) to play around with in the MBE+, and the results are rather interesting.

The LME49710 is for my taste clearly better than the stock AD8610 - less hiss with low impedance/high sensitivity phones, less insane click/pop at turning on, and somewhat "richer, fuller, more tube-y" sound (can't put my finger on it - maybe placebo).

The OPA627AP is more or less the same as the AD8610, didn't notice any huge differences between the two yet.

The LT1115 is completely unusable in the MBE+ - screeching, oscillating sine sweeps like tuning an AM radio, and much higher noise floor than the other opamps.

Here's some RMAA tests:
MBE+ OpAmp Test (No Load)
MBE+ OpAmp Test (16 Ohm)
MBE+ OpAmp Test (AD8610 vs OPA627AP)
MBE+ OpAmp Test (LME49710 vs LT1115)

Additionally, here's how the MBE+ reacts to a 16 Ohm load with all available modes. Notice the crosstalk with PtoS engaged:
MBE+ All Modes Test (16 Ohm)

P6040207-920.jpg

On another note, the stock AD8610 seem to have been soldered onto the browndog adapter while they were inside the MBE+ sockets... the solder ran through to the DIP8 sockets and soldered them into place. No wonder I couldn't get them out without almost ripping it to bits. Now that's quality workmanship... The pins (wires, actually) on the browndogs are as soft as butter, so take really good care when trying to get them out:

P6040205-920.jpg

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #305 of 384
Ok, sorry for the thread high-jack, but I really don't want to start a seperate thread for it..

My Corda Meier Move has two AD8610A's installed and I'm thinking of upgrading them to the AD797's. Will it be worth the "trouble"?

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #306 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, sorry for the thread high-jack, but I really don't want to start a seperate thread for it..

My Corda Meier Move has two AD8610A's installed and I'm thinking of upgrading them to the AD797's. Will it be worth the "trouble"?

Any amp is worth a LME49710/LME49720 (based on if it needs single or dual channel opamps).
I can't say it often enough, save yourself time and trouble by going to the best overall performer.
If your opamps are socketed, go for it, best $9+shipping you will spend and actually get a nice enjoyable return out of.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #307 of 384
Well, Meier's implementation doesn't leave much space for DIP8 stuff:

http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...32327-1024.jpg

(Image too large for embedding.)

Is the amazing LME49710 available in smaller sizes? Maybe the SOIC NARROW variant might work?

---

By the way, thanks again Morfic for sending me the OPA627 and LT1115.
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #308 of 384
True, but a AD797 should fit, correct? I read earlier in the thead that EFN problems with it, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.
I'm also going to replace the signal caps with Elna Cerafine (if they fit).

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #315 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by magzcampos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was wondering why has the minibox jumped from 150 usd to 220?

Too many positive reviews!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back