Three headphones only
May 18, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is that? Do you mean either the orpheus or the omega II's or do you mean you would put orpheus drivers in omega II frames or do you mean you would pay Mr. Sennheiser to cusom design you a new headphone called the Omega?

I mean, if you really had unlimited funds for a headphone, that's probably the way to go. I'm sure for enough millions, Mr. Sennheiser would abide

I meant a Sennheiser Orpheus or Omega MK1 - fixed now.

It would be contingent on budget.

However, if there was no budget at ALL...... it would totally be a custom made Electrostat the likes of which leaves the Orpheus in the dust.

May 18, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #48 of 52
From what I have:

1. The AKG K-1000. Just about the perfect transducer in a perfect listening room. There might not be a better setup - headphones or speakers - in audio. Even better, they sound amazing from a tubed speaker amp that cost less than my headphone amps. What a shame that AKG discontinued it. If they brought it back, I think they'd sell a ton of them and undercut the new super 'phones on the market.

2. The Grado HP-2. It has a wonderfully relaxed, neutral, nearly magical, sound. I love listenin to it.

3. The Beyerdynamic DT48. Nothing else gives me this level of inner detail, neutrality and ability to evaluate the recording and upstream equipment. The DT48 is not for everyone, but for those of us it speaks to, there's nothing else like it.

Runners up:

1. The Sennheiser HD-650. It's fun, smooth and does great things with a great amp.

2. The Grado RS-1. One word: fun.

Some I'd like to have and might buy:

1. Stax Omega II. I've listened briefly and think I enjoyed them more than the Orpheus (
eek.gif
). Not that the HE90 is bad (it's wonderful) but I liked the Omega II sound signature more. I might have to get one.

2. The Grado GS-1000. Also loved the sound and I've been on the fence five or six times with used pairs. It'll happen sooner or later.

3. Sennheiser HD-800. I want to hear them.

4. Grado PS-1000. Also want to hear them. Badly.

Though slightly off topic, I'll put the Quad ESL-63 here, too. They are a revelation. More "right" than anything I've listened to, save the K-1000. Ina better listening room, the ESL-63 would probably win out over the K-1000, but I don't have a great listening room. Yet.

Also should mention the Linkwitz Orion+ loudspeakers. I have the boards, components and am gathering drivers. I'll finish these by the end of the year. Supposedly, one of greatest speakers ever. I'm forking over the cash to find out. I want the low end the Orion+ promises.

Dark horse: the Sennheiser HDA200. Haven't heard of them? They're Sennheiser's super-accurate audiometric headphones. Like the DT48. As far as I know, no Head-Fi'er has heard these. But the stats look good and I love this sort of headphone. I'm willing to gamble $500 on them, but am going to put several other audio purchases ahead of them.

May 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #50 of 52
My 3 choices would have to be:

1. Sony PFR-V1-I listened to these in store and they blew me away!
2. Sony MDR-V900-I like their studio headphones for closed needs.
3. Sony SA-5000's-I've read that these are absolutely wonderful!

Yes, I like sony headphones (especially their brightness). Plus they match up well with my lower quality MP3's and all can be nicely powered by my 3move! The PFR-V1's are next on my list!

May 18, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #51 of 52
I haven't heard the high end headphones such as the Stax and Orpheus, so mine would be -

1) Alessandro MS-Pro
2) Denon D5000
3) Denon D7000

You may ask why the D5000 when i have the D7000 already, but i'd say both are suited for different genres. When i want some good fun dance music i'd put on the D5K. For vocal and jazz, the D7K does it for me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back