Three DAC Comparison: FiiO E10 | HRT Music Streamer II | M-stage USB
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #16 of 44
So how does this HRT Music Streamer II USB DAC compared to the Matrix Mini-I ? If anyone has tested it? Or even the FiiO E17? 
Is the difference between these DACs actually that hard to tell the difference between the two? If thats the case I think I may just stick with my FiiO E17 as the DAC, or just get the Matrix Mini-I , and probably never buy another DAC or even an AMP again (so I say
k701smile.gif
)

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #17 of 44

Quote:
So how does this HRT Music Streamer II USB DAC compared to the Matrix Mini-I ? If anyone has tested it? Or even the FiiO E17? 
Is the difference between these DACs actually that hard to tell the difference between the two? If thats the case I think I may just stick with my FiiO E17 as the DAC, or just get the Matrix Mini-I , and probably never buy another DAC or even an AMP again (so I say
k701smile.gif
)

If you already have the E17 I would just stick with that.  The HRT probably won't be that much of an improvement.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #19 of 44

Quote:
k701smile.gif
)

If you plan on using the mini-i trough USB. Know that the mini-i is limited to 48 kHz trough USB. The MS2 can do 24/96 asynchronously trough USB. On the other hand, if you can use SPDIF, then the mini-i can do 32/192. The mini-i also also has many more features. If you have studio monitors, then the balanced outputs of the mini-i could be welcomed.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #20 of 44
Loving my Matrix M Stage and Music Streamer II :D

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #22 of 44

Quote:
If you already have the E17 I would just stick with that.  The HRT probably won't be that much of an improvement.

Hi chicolom, what do you think of a E17/E9/HD650 combo. I'm using an E7 right now and was thinking of upgrading to the the E17 but your reviews had me thinking of the the HRT MS2. I your opinion, what are the difference in sound signature between the E17 and HRT. IMO, the E9 is neutral and I think the dac I'll be getting will determine the SQ. Many thanks.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 44

Quote:
Hi chicolom, what do you think of a E17/E9/HD650 combo. I'm using an E7 right now and was thinking of upgrading to the the E17 but your reviews had me thinking of the the HRT MS2. I your opinion, what are the difference in sound signature between the E17 and HRT. IMO, the E9 is neutral and I think the dac I'll be getting will determine the SQ. Many thanks.

I haven't heard the E17, but Mike at headfonia seems to think the HRT MS II is still better as a DAC.  He talks about how the E17 compares to the E10 and pairing it with the E9. 

He seems to think the E17 has the same signature as the E10, just upgraded ("the bass is punchier (awesome!), tighter (awesome x2), soundstage is wider, and the midrange is clearer").  So if I had to guess I would say the E17 is probably still more polite and laid back sounding than the HRT MS II.

So I'd say if you just want a pure stand-alone DAC the HRT MS II is probably the better option.  If you want the extra features and portability the E17 is a good choice.  Both are better than the E7, and the difference between the two shouldn't be major.
Quote:
"The point with the E17 is that it's an integrated solution. I mean if you want to go with separate DAC/Amp units then the HRT MS2 is still the best ~$100 USB DAC at the moment."

"you can get the E17 and use it directly from its headphone out, or pair it with the E9 and see how you like it.
If you want to go with a stand alone DAC, you can get the HRT MS2, it is currently the best entry level stand alone DAC for the price, and add an amplifier on top of it (perhaps the E9)."

"Talking DAC section only: 
E10 < E17 < HUD-Mx1 < HRT MS2"

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 44

Quote:

I haven't heard the E17, but Mike at headfonia seems to think the HRT MS II is still better as a DAC.  He talks about how the E17 compares to the E10 and pairing it with the E9. 

He seems to think the E17 has the same signature as the E10, just upgraded ("the bass is punchier (awesome!), tighter (awesome x2), soundstage is wider, and the midrange is clearer").  So if I had to guess I would say the E17 is probably still more polite and laid back sounding than the HRT MS II.

So I'd say if you just want a pure stand-alone DAC the HRT MS II is probably the better option.  If you want the extra features and portability the E17 is a good choice.  Both are better than the E7, and the difference between the two shouldn't be major.

Thanks chicolom, will wait for my 8.A and try to get loaner set of the HRT and E17 to see  which would be a better match for my needs. Anyway which would be the more neutral and natural sounding dac. Many thanks.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #25 of 44

Quote:
Thanks chicolom, will wait for my 8.A and try to get loaner set of the HRT and E17 to see  which would be a better match for my needs. Anyway which would be the more neutral and natural sounding dac. Many thanks.

I can't really say which is more "neutral" as everyone seems to have a different opinion what neutral is.  I would guess that the FiiO is slightly warmer sounding.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #26 of 44

Quote:

I can't really say which is more "neutral" as everyone seems to have a different opinion what neutral is.  I would guess that the FiiO is slightly warmer sounding.

Thanks chicolom, I would say neutral to me would be that no one frequency from mids,highs and lows are boosted in anyway and stay balanced across the frequency range. I'm also looking for one which has a more coherence presentation between the two and I'm all ears to other recommendations. In a way, I'm looking for something that can let the phones present music like what it was designed or tuned to produce. I know there's a limitation based on my budget but will have to compromise for now and have something as close to my needs as possible. Also, will very much appreciate if anyone can fill me in with other option available as I know I will make the upgrade in the very near future. Many thanks in advance. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
Thanks chicolom, I would say neutral to me would be that no one frequency from mids,highs and lows are boosted in anyway and stay balanced across the frequency range. I'm also looking for one which has a more coherence presentation between the two and I'm all ears to other recommendations. In a way, I'm looking for something that can let the phones present music like what it was designed or tuned to produce. I know there's a limitation based on my budget but will have to compromise for now and have something as close to my needs as possible. Also, will very much appreciate if anyone can fill me in with other option available as I know I will make the upgrade in the very near future. Many thanks in advance. 

I don't think DACs have that much of their own sound signature - so I wouldn't worry that much about which is most neutral.  It's not like some of them have bass boost applied by default.  Just go for whichever seems good in your price range. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #30 of 44

Quote:
Great comparison!

Would you still suggest the M-Stage if I didn't plan on doing any opamp rolling?

Debating on the HRTII or the DAC M-Stage to run my Q701.

Probably.  Opamp rolling is very subtle IMO.  Do you not already have an amp?

If you like soundstage I would go with something better than the M-stage DAC as it bottlenecks the soundstage size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back