Thread deletion
Jul 25, 2008 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

AudioPhewl

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All.

Started a thread in the DIY forum last night, about the OPA827. I come along today and it's been deleted, and I don't understand why. I've not received any PMs stating what rules it was against, so I'm at a bit of a loss...

Would like to know what I'd done wrong, so I can avoid making the same mistake in future!

Speaking of mistakes, I didn't know where this thread should live, as there doesn't seem to be a "questions about the site" forum. I figured that this was as good a place as any...

Cheers!

~Phewl.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 21
The ways of the Higher Powers here are inscrutable.
At least for me.
Don't let it bother you.
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 21
There are probably two reasons why the moderator don't PM the thread starter when he remove a thread.
1. Don't want to go into an argument on why it was deleted.
2. Don't have the time needed. Prioritize to watch and moderate the forum instead..

There are also an unwritten (I think) rule that you never question a moderators decision.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are also an unwritten (I think) rule that you never question a moderators decision.

Yes, please be advised that all moderators are infallible and should never be questioned. The same goes for politicians, teachers, parents, etc.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 21
I have seen only a few threads deleted, but I have seen many closed threads. Usually, it is because the purpose of the thread has been completely lost or it turns into something not appropriate or just stupid.

I would say that if it was deleted and you have no idea why - it would likely be due to some reply that was posted or if one of the rules of the forum was violated.
That isn't to say that threads haven't been deleted because of hear-say either and some individuals work around the rules rather openly with noteriaty around the forum can have something to do with it. There are a few names that come to mind
rolleyes.gif

Most, if not all of the time, the thread removal is VERY JUSTIFIED! However, there are those occasions which present themselves differently and the opinions of others can really make some stuff up. That includes within any thread!

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are probably two reasons why the moderator don't PM the thread starter when he remove a thread.
1. Don't want to go into an argument on why it was deleted.
2. Don't have the time needed. Prioritize to watch and moderate the forum instead..

Not trying to cause a scene, question anyones motives, nor stir anything. But I don't understand why the thread was deleted - I've looked over the forum rules, and can't think of a reason for it.

I don't mind it being deleted, but I'd like to know why. Because I don't see a problem with the thread I made, I'd like to know what I need to avoid in future.

The basis of the thread was that I'd had a pair of OPA827s for over a year, and only just had a chance to try them out. The discussion started in the Zero DAC thread in the headphone amplifiers section, but not wanting to take it off-topic, I started a new thread. I felt they were much improved over the 627, and wondered if they were a successor to the "king" of opamps, and whether anyone else had sampled their audio delicacy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't understand why that would warrant deletion?

~Phewl.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 21
Well, there was another quite harmless thread in the Members' Lounge I was following. It disappeared from the face of the forum today.
Maybe it's a forum glitch or there's some maintenance going on.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 21
If you mention the word "churro" in a thread, it qualifies for deletion.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 21
Apparently you did not read the rules sticky in this forum just above your thread, but it reads as follows on the subject of your current thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
This Permanent Thread Contains Sticky Topics, Forum-Specific Rules/Notices, Etc.

DO NOT start threads or make posts inquiring about a closed/deleted thread or post.

If you have a question, PM a moderator. However, in most cases, the reason the thread/post was closed or removed is painfully obvious.

motivator8490383.jpg

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 21
Apologies. I read the rules in the forum in which the original thread was posted, I didn't realise there were different rules in all the forums.

So, had I posted this query in the DIY forum, I'd not have broken the rules?

ETA - I can not see a moderator listed for the DIY forum. How would I go about finding who deleted it, so I can learn what I've done wrong?

~Phewl.

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apologies. I read the rules in the forum in which the original thread was posted, I didn't realise there were different rules in all the forums.

So, had I posted this query in the DIY forum, I'd not have broken the rules?

ETA - I can not see a moderator listed for the DIY forum. How would I go about finding who deleted it, so I can learn what I've done wrong?

~Phewl.

You can PM any admin or moderator and ask them. Probably not a big deal, threads get deleted. Why, I was just following one from a new member that offered really good prices on iPods shipped from China. Had a link and everything.
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 21
My personal fave was dirt cheap "real" Nike sneakers from where else, in the Zero thread...... Hey, you have to have comfortable footwear in order to listen to music with full concentration right ?
wink.gif

Lasted 15 minutes...mods were right on it, "poof" gone.....
cool.gif

Peete.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 21
I wrote him with a copy of his post (in case he wants to edit and re-post) why his thread was deleted.

His post involved crimes against humanity, cruelty to animals, and grand theft larceny. I keed.

But now he knows why it was deleted. And, again, he can edit and re-post it if he likes, knowing now why it was deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back