Thrash-ish Recommendations
May 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

pow3rtr1p

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to kind of get into Thrash. At least, I think Thrash is the word for it. I really love Lamb of God and Revocation. I believe they are considered Thrash. I guess I am looking for a more modern, technical, refined Thrash, if that makes sense. I have listened to a few bands, but many of them (like Sodom and Watchtower) are a bit too unrefined for me.

To assist in my general metal taste, I love bands like Refused, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Run With the Hunted (incredible if you haven't heard them). I am open to all suggestions.

May 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 29
I would suggest Nile if you haven't heard them. Everything else I listen to is not really close to that like Meshuggah but if you've never heard Gojira do check them out you might find that you love the sound like I did (Youtube has some of their music, can't link at work though, definitely watch the Vacuity music video!).

Cheers!

May 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 29
OK, first on my list of new Thrash to listen to was Municipal Waste's Hazardous Mutation. I like it. Very punk-influenced, which I love. To be honest, though, Nile is a bit too Death-y for my likings.

May 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 29
Trash, there is early and later Trash Metal. I prefer Trash Metal bands like Gore and Coroner. I do not like it if the emphasis is too much on speed. 

May 29, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 29
Skeletonwitch. They just simply kick ass.

May 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 29
So would something like Mushroomhead qualify as thrash?  Or are they too theatrical? 

May 29, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
This. Check out Beyond The Permafrost, sick album.

Testament is always good too.

Killer album! Its definitely stronger than their newest one, but both are good in their own way.

May 30, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 29
I adore Dillinger too, also Coroner, Meshuggah, early Slayer & certain Metallica.  The Eighties and early Nineties were the golden age of thrash, beyond that it merged with death and other forms of metal and all the other confusing sub-genres, part of the homogeneous soup known as modern metal.  Meshuggah are probably the best example of fairly pure & consistent thrash up to the modern day i.e. a lack of blast beats and over the top theatrics, and with a high level of technicality and creativity.  Not as mental as Dillinger but in same the ball park.  Converge are a great band, but not what you'd call refined, quite dirty actually, but definitely worth checking.  Kreator are quite good, but their output is a little patchy.  Same can be said of Sepultura.

I cut my teeth on thrash in my youth, but left most of it behind.  Like all metal there are some gems to be found, but most of it is full of cliche and self-indulgence.  Good luck on your search.

May 30, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 29
A little off topic but..

I don't understand why Meshuggah is so highly praised. I LOVE djent, probably more than anyone else, but I can't stand Meshuggah. People told me to check out obZen, told me it'd change my view of them completely. One guy told me to listen to Bleed because it would "change my life". Yea, right. All I hear is repetitive chugging with random borefest structure. I thank them for pioneering the sound, but bands like Periphery (instrumental only) do Djent 100x better.

May 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 29
'sfunny, but I always felt Opeth was way overrated too.  Each to their own 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
'sfunny, but I always felt Opeth was way overrated too.  Each to their own 
biggrin.gif

So did I. In fact I was seriously into Prog Metal yet hated Opeth. Eventually I downloaded Still Life to give 'em another shot. Had a free period during school, sat down and gave the album a listen, and have loved Opeth ever since.

May 30, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 29
Travelling further away from the topic, if you like 'prog'ressive music and metal, I strongly recommend checking Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.  Prepare to be greatly challenged and greatly rewarded for your effort.  Your initial reaction will be like What?  But trust me, it's worth the effort.  They are one of the reasons why bands like Opeth are not really worth my time.  In a lot of ways, most prog is not really progressive at all, but ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back