Thoughts on solid state vs tube
Jan 30, 2002 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
Here are what I think are the benifits of both worlds:

Solid state is all about detail, getting it all out there without missing a beat. Very controlled manner giving the bass punch, and highs spark. They layer sounds with perfection and some added lube.

Tubes are about realism. It brings out the live tone of the recording studio while adding warmth which goes easy on the ears. They allow the sound to wander loosly, but still maintaining structure. What they do best is blend the different sounds together smoothly making for a relaxing musical experience that simulates a live performance.

Jan 30, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 6
mmm
I think that would depend on the particular amp and how the
design is executed more than anything,but I have not auditioned
enough amps to comment much here,do you mean amps in
general or headphone amps in particular?

I feel my stax amp has a mixture of both of your catagories.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 6
those generalizations are true with lower end products of both categories. When you get into the high end of each, the differences narrow very quickly.

Also, The ZOTL is brighter than the MAX...

and that's why tubes vs. solid-state discussions continue
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
Also, The ZOTL is brighter than the MAX...

...and is this true for all tubes used in either????

Careful about those generalizations there...one of the interesting things about tubes is that you can, withing certain constraints, alter the sound of the amp...

...and that is why I would disagree that tubes are about realism. Realism implies an absolute standard, and I don't believe that such a thing exists for recorded music. Tubes create a euphonic departure from "realism", that IMO enhances the enjoyment of recorded music.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 6
I've used the generalizations between tube sound and solid state sound while comparing the R10 to the W2002. I didnt mean it in a literal way; because for starters, I've never owned either the Cary or the Krell. And not all tube amp manufacturers pride themselves on incorporating the tube sound. David Manley made his earlier VTL amps without that 'romantic' tube sound at all. Bob Carver tried the opposite: making solid state amps sound like tube amps using his transfer function ideas. Its also worth saying that solid state amps are much more likely to use ideas such as NAD's 'power envelope' technology-- where double or more the stated power is available in short bursts. I dont think such ideas are used in tube gear to the best of my knowledge.
I wonder if Bob Carver was right, and that using transfer functions would let you apply a tube-like sound to a solid state amp. But would people actually buy that? I think certain stereo types want the romance of the glowing tubes themselves, and they would see it as bad taste to color a solid state amp with the same brush (no matter or not if you could prove an identical transfer function.) The same people who disdain EQ will nevertheless search for a certain special sound in a power amp. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back