Thoughts on SACD and DVD-A
Feb 2, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
Whats the general concensus on these two formats?

Are they still here but just niche or are they already gone but we just still have the disks around that were produced but still in stock.

I also noticed the spec of a blu ray player said it output 96/24 audio. Is it possible things may go more that route? Or is there any talk of the next generation of audio or are we here already and public does not know or care?

I have been away from audio for many years myself and just learning what the formats are available recently.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also noticed the spec of a blu ray player said it output 96/24 audio

Blu Ray can actually output 192/24 for up to six channels, or 96/24 for seven via Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. Sony has their label, and is in work with others to bring dedicated music discs to that format. It's a big wait and see on that though because...

Quote:

public does not know or care?

Exactly, I don't think they do TBO. Hope I'm wrong.

--

Somebody else can argue about the validity of the current high rez disc based formats.

Big 5.1 lossless fan here, so I'm stil in it for that.
cool.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 12
Big reason why i ask is i have purchased some DVD-A and will be getting a few more. I realy like the 5.1 mixes but am more into the ones that come with the stereo 24/96. If it apears bigger and better is on the horizon i will just enjoy a little now and then get into hopefully buying audio on Blu Ray.
I must say that i am not one to argue about which format is better and should win. (BR or HDDVD) For me i look forward to the possibility of
1.awesome uncompressed audio
2. storage capacity since i will be owning in the near future a HD camcorder and want the write capacity of blu ray.
Those are my reasons for being on the blu ray side but it will just run it's course and i hope the winner which will work best for me and my interest is blou Ray.

Anyway i guess i need to do a lot of searches and get up to date on where we are heading with audio.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.awesome uncompressed audio

Oh I'm with ya, without a doubt. For me, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are the real reason to get excited. Once the the decoding makes it to budget priced receivers...then quality lossless audio can trojan horse into the market in a variety of ways - via disc, via hard drive, wireless receiver, whatever all over HDMI, unlike the initial analog only output via player for SACD and DVD-A. As far as disc based carrier formats are concerned, I'm very skeptical. If anything, it's one last hurrah.

But DVD-A and SACD are great. If one likes the current selection and enjoys the sound, then go to town.

And I own a HD-DVD player plus a universal player, so take that for what it's worth.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as disc based carrier formats are concerned, I'm very skeptical. If anything, it's one last hurrah.

But DVD-A and SACD are great. If one likes the current selection and enjoys the sound, then go to town.

Disc based carrier formats dead? Like the LP? I think LPs and the shiny silver discs will be around for decades. People like to own something, like the artwork, love the rare and exclusive ones, and so on. Having a package is an emotional thing. That's why e-readers/e-books haven't replaced real ones yet. And even when they do, people will still own real books. Same with music.

Anyway, yeah, SACD is great if you love classical. I do, and the selection is very good. It's possible to build an excellent classical SACD library. Jazz isn't bad, either. You can get most of the classic recordings now. But between SACD and vinyl, I've been able to buy 99% of the music I want. I can't see going back to Red Book.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 12
I didn't mean that i thought disk would go away, i was talking more the format on the disk (SACD and DVD-A) Considering that some disks do have stereo 96/24.

I do enjoy the 5.1 mixes but overall prefer a high res stereo mix

Although i am into certain staple classical my main listening preferance is mainstream and indie stuff. All diff types. At this time SACD is not for me. Unless it is still IN and lots of releases but i just don't see it when i do searches for whats available.

The apeal of 96/24 stereo for me right now is i can play them off my pc and feed them to my apogee Mini-Dac. If only SACD would output high res through digi out to my dac i would buy a cheap player but i am told it does not happen. :frowning2:

Thats why i am interested in where we seem to be headed in the near future and i will keep eye out on that for my next hardware purchases.

Since the next gen dvd would seem to carry our audio easily i would think that might be the next media tried.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People like to own something, like the artwork, love the rare and exclusive ones, and so on. Having a package is an emotional thing.

I've thought about this. And yes, I do like to own something. But in the future, I can see this considered as antiquated thinking for consumables. Grandpa (me, you) - recalling cd stores. Oh the kids will get a kick out of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleErik
Disc based carrier formats dead? Like the LP?

Dead is a strong word. Must be why you used it and I didn't!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 12
If you already have a player with DVD-A and/or SACD capability, then there's really not much harm in buying the respective formats. Personally, when the inevitible source upgrade comes around, I'll just stick to redbook and let my universal player handle the hi-res duties.

Then again, my SACD collection is tiny and growing very, very slowly (main taste is for rock) and with the player I bought, the SACD capability was just a perk, so no harm no foul.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 12
I don't have an SADC player. :frowning2:

I do have a nice DAC and AMP. It would be awesome to have the optical digital out of inexpensive sacd to run through them. I am told it will only output redbook through the optical out.

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 12
I have a sony sacd/dvd player and love it. I haven't hooked it up in surround and have only had it in my stereo rig. For anyone out there with a sacd player I highly recommend the Soprano's music disc...the recording is amazing, unfourtunatly it is not a hybrid so you must have a sacd player.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 12
I really like SACD.Its the next best thing to owning a good turntable.Even though SACD has a digital character to it,it clearly sounds superior to the compact disc on my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back