Thoughts on NFB-15.1?
Jul 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

MartyMcFly

Head-Fier
I haven't seen a review on the NFB-15.1. Are people avoiding it? The reason I ask is because I am thinking on getting the NFB-12.1, but I figured that the NFB-15.1 has the TE8802 Tenor chip built in, making it sound more neutral (which would be a plus with the HE-400, I believe). Plus, it seems that it is almost on par with the NFB-5, but without the OPA. By the way, what makes the OPA so special besides changing it out for a different sound signature? Are the filter switches not enough? I was just wondering 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 34
Update: I emailed Kingwa asking about the sound characteristics of the Nfb-12.1 and the Nfb-15.1. This is what he had to say:

Dear Marty,
In coaxial input and optical input , the NFB15.1 sound a little neutral than the NFB12.1, but still slight warm ans smooth.
The NFB12.1 is a little more warm .
In USB input, the NFB15.1 have a bit clear detail than the NFB12.1.
The NFB15.1 bass is a bit tighter than NFB12.1.
If you want  warm sound, the NFB12.1 is better for choice.
Kingwa

Keep in mind, I have the he400 which are slightly dark . I would consider them clear and analytical with their black background. It has really good synergy with a lot of genres, which is what makes it a good all-around headphone. My instincts tell me to lean toward the nfb15.1 since it would provide a clearer sound and go well with the dark sound signature. On the other hand, I do like a strong bass and forward mids. The most important qualities for me are textured mids that have good separation. The reason for emphasis on separation is because of the slightly recessed mids. I suppose Nfb 15.1 is the way to go?

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 34
Marty,

It also seems from the response, that the NFB-15.1 performs a bit better if using USB mode.  You might also want to take into consideration what your source might be.  If it is a computer without a sound card that has a digital output (optical or coax), then I suspect you'll be using USB as the input.  In my experience, I liked the NFB-12 that I had.  It provided what I wanted with my HE-400s and never gave me the impression of it being overly dark - or, that the two were a bad combination. 

The newer Audio-GD amps / DACs use the Tenor (Galaxy) TE8802 chip.  The Windows drivers for this chipset are on the Audio-GD web site.  However, if you had picked an older model of Audio-GD, then the chip would be the TE7702, which Windows has built-in drivers for.

I think if I were you, I'd consider the NFB-15.1, if money is a concern.  However, if you were to up your budget by about $180, and without breaking the bank, then you might consider the NFB-5.2.

I've been meaning to respond to your PM.  However, I suffered a bit of a set-back yesterday with my audio.  I received the used Audio-GD "Fun" that I had purchased.  But, I experienced many issues and suspect that there are some internal issues causing the problems.  I need to run a few more tests tonight to determine if it might be the DAC, or the amp that is creating the issue.  I do have the option of returning it to the seller.  However, I really want to get it to work as I'm sick of dealing with shipping back and forth.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 34
I have to agree with wje's sentiments. From the reviews I gather, the lower end Audio GD products don't sound as great as their mid and high range products. I think the NFB 5.2 would be a worthwhile upgrade and something to consider. I have the NFB 10SE, and it's a totally neutral sounding amplifier. It pairs very well with Hifimans. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:
I have to agree with wje's sentiments. From the reviews I gather, the lower end Audio GD products don't sound as great as their mid and high range products. I think the NFB 5.2 would be a worthwhile upgrade and something to consider. I have the NFB 10SE, and it's a totally neutral sounding amplifier. It pairs very well with Hifimans.

Ugh!  You had to tempt me, didn't you?  I see a NFB-10 with the remote in the F/S section.  I am trying so hard to resist.  It has made it to my short list, which only has about 10 models on it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 34
What would be the difference between the NFB-5.2 and the NFB-15.1? They both look like they have the same hardware for the most part. What would I be gaining by purchasing the NFB-5.2? I just want to make sure I would be making a worthwhile investment for the extra ~180 bucks.

Also, what is your opinion on the OPA choices? Would you go with the earth or sun?

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Ugh!  You had to tempt me, didn't you?  I see a NFB-10 with the remote in the F/S section.  I am trying so hard to resist.  It has made it to my short list, which only has about 10 models on it.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 It's a solid unit, and a great bang for the buck. Not to orthos with balanced amps just get me going :)

Quote:
What would be the difference between the NFB-5.2 and the NFB-15.1? They both look like they have the same hardware for the most part. What would I be gaining by purchasing the NFB-5.2? I just want to make sure I would be making a worthwhile investment for the extra ~180 bucks.

Also, what is your opinion on the OPA choices? Would you go with the earth or sun?

Indeed, a fair question to ask. It's mostly about increased quality of parts. If you look at the guts overall the NFB 5.2 has far superior components in terms of quality. Also, very important, the 5.2 has a much better Power supply. The NFB 5 is about $40 cheaper. I don't know if the USB implementation is really worth it or not, as I haven't used the new USB implementation. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397691/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-opa-earth-opa-moon-opa-sun-v-2

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:
I haven't seen a review on the NFB-15.1. Are people avoiding it?

Hi Marty..

Avoiding it?  You can't avoid A-GD gear...lol...Sorry, I'm a fan...

Been selling bits of gear and received the NFB-16 last week.  Wanted the NFB-16 for the line-ins and battery powered and I tell you, it has not disappointed with anything I throw at it.  Tonight will purchase for NFB-15.1, for an all-in-one bedroom setup.

Will let you know how it goes..

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 34
@HeatFan12, please do. I'm curious to see how your setup sounds.

Also, just for purposes of powering the he-400, what do you think of the e17+e09k combo? Do you think I will be skipping out on a lot of quality if I choose to downgrade to this setup rather than purchase the NFB-5.2?

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
@HeatFan12, please do. I'm curious to see how your setup sounds.

Also, just for purposes of powering the he-400, what do you think of the e17+e09k combo? Do you think I will be skipping out on a lot of quality if I choose to downgrade to this setup rather than purchase the NFB-5.2?

Marty, I know the question wasn't directed to me, but please allow me to chime in here.  During our local headphone meet this past Saturday, I was able to test some of the various combinations out with my HE-400s.  We had my Audio-GD NFB-12 there as well as my HRT Music Streamer II and my Little Dot 1+ amp.  The LD 1+ has the tubes on the pre-stage, so it has a good sound capability to it.  We then used only the DAC portion of the E17 to pair it up with the LD 1+ amp.  When music was played through the HE-400s, the E17 seemed ever-so-congested (slightly) and made the instrument separation seem less so.  Then, we moved over to the Audio-GD NFB-12 an used it's internal DACs -- also of the Wolfson variety.  The clarity was much more present, the instruments had better separation and the congestion that was noted with the E17 as a DAC was no longer present.  This was heard both by myself and another HE-400 user from this forum.  I think he was a bit surprised that the NFB-12, at only $40 or so more (used) than the E17, had such great performance.

Also, I wanted to note.  I do realized that FiiO redesigned the E9 to evolve it to the E09K so it would work better with the E17 as a DAC.  I'm not sure how much of the amp portion of the E9 was revamped in the effort to improve this new docking amp for the E17.  However, as a stand-alone amp, I didn't think that the E9 offered much excitement to my music.  Even though it has plenty of power (approximately 1 watt of power), the sound just didn't seem quite as pleasing.  I sold off those devices within a few weeks.

For some final great news tonight, I finished up my work day and headed home.  I took some time to troubleshoot the Audio-GD Fun that I had purchased, but was experiencing issues.  After taking off the top case cover, I could see where the Moon Op-Amp module had become dislodged during shipping.  I had to use my needle nose pliers to straighten a few pins.  Then, I inserted the module, powered it up ... and, nothing but beauty streaming from the amp / DAC.  So, for now, I have my Audio-GD Fun working and won't be ordering the NFB-5.2 anytime soon.  I just need to enjoy the music a bit.

Enjoy!

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 34
subscribed, really interested in seeing the 15 vs 5, because I don't think I'll tinker with the opamps (by trusting kingwa with ACSS being the most neutral of all)

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:
subscribed, really interested in seeing the 15 vs 5, because I don't think I'll tinker with the opamps (by trusting kingwa with ACSS being the most neutral of all)

I don't think that staying away from a unit with the repaceable op-amp units is a bad thing.  When I realized how loose the module fit into the pin recepticals, it was easy to see how just a minor bit of jarring and movement during shipping could cause the unit to dislodge and come loose as it did with mine.  Being that the NFB-12 is also ACSS based, I'll still indicate that I have a slight nod of preference to the "Fun" model with the "Moon" op-amp.  Also, earlier this morning, I ordered the "Earth" module as well as the USB upgrade board that will update the older "Fun" model to the latest USB processing specification.  With shipping, and a PayPal fee, these the updated USB board and op-amp module came out to $98.00.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 34
Thanks and that's it! I'll wait till next week to see if any new dac/amp combo suddenly jump into the game, then I'm gonna order it next week!

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
Thanks and that's it! I'll wait till next week to see if any new dac/amp combo suddenly jump into the game, then I'm gonna order it next week!

I can understand.  However, when I started to dig into Audio-GD, I was most impressed.  They have essentially provided the TE8802 upgrade option for nearly every DAC they have.  Some of their models do require a small amount of soldering.  However, with the Fun model, the module is just a drop-in component after removing 3 screws and takng the old module out.  The benefits of TE8802 isn't just the ability to run 24Bit audio through the USB, but it also features the ability for it to happen via asynchronis mode.

From the stand-point of Audio-GD standing behind their products - even from 3 years ago, and offering upgrade modules, etc., I'm quite impressed.  How many other companies provide such an offering?  Sure, some do - but, they require that you send your amp / DAC into their service center along with $200.  Then, about 4 weeks later, you get your amp / DAC back.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

I can understand.  However, when I started to dig into Audio-GD, I was most impressed.  They have essentially provided the TE8802 upgrade option for nearly every DAC they have.  Some of their models do require a small amount of soldering.  However, with the Fun model, the module is just a drop-in component after removing 3 screws and takng the old module out.  The benefits of TE8802 isn't just the ability to run 24Bit audio through the USB, but it also features the ability for it to happen via asynchronis mode.

From the stand-point of Audio-GD standing behind their products - even from 3 years ago, and offering upgrade modules, etc., I'm quite impressed.  How many other companies provide such an offering?  Sure, some do - but, they require that you send your amp / DAC into their service center along with $200.  Then, about 4 weeks later, you get your amp / DAC back.

Hum TE7022L support up to 24/96khz ^^ through usb , TE-8802 add up to 192khz and asynchronous mode , the only "downside" on windows is the need of custom drivers .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back