Thoughts on my new R-10's
Mar 13, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #17 of 29
I could go on about what I think proper setup is, but suffice it to say, if it doesn’t sound like the musicians are standing right in your room, filling it with MUSIC, something is not right. And if you do experience that magic, you’ll understand what some of this overpriced hardware is capable of.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bdh --

Besides clarity, resolution, and detail...
This is my #1 priority in a headphone!

You are pushing me closer to buying one...
This might be THE reason to buy Sony R-10's!

It seems like their strengths speak for themselves?

Scott

Mar 13, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 29
BANGPOD,

Just to be clear, I was describing conventional speakers with that statement. While the headphones are increadibly realistic, one thing they don't do is throw a sound stage out in front of you like speakers can. Maybe cross-overs can help with that, but I've never tried a cross-over yet. To me, the sound-stage of the R-10's is all around your head, not within your head like a lot of headphones.

bdh

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #19 of 29
Congrats on the R 10s. No dout the "King" has one of the best, if not the best soundstage as far as headphones go. Keep in mind, the R 10s potential seems infinite. The HR-2 is a great amp, especially for the price, but there are other amps out there that may be better for the R 10s. They just cost a lot more.

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #20 of 29
Won't you be my neighbor?

-Mike
V6->CD780->CD2000->CD3000-> may be R10 in near future???

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #21 of 29
I don't think anybody mentioned it yet on this thread but don't forget the possibility of rolling the op amps in your HR-2.

One thing I noticed going from the AD797 to the OPA627 was some of the opening up and an improvement in the balance in the HR-2 in my system (which seemed awfully similar to what you noticed going to the Njoe Tjoeb 4000). I'm not as experienced or eloquent as others on these forums so won't try to qualify/quantify the change. Just wanted to point out that this amp gives you additional options which "may" help improve things further.
wink.gif

Very nice system by the way ... enjoy!

Gord SW Ont.
3000smile.gif

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #22 of 29
your experience with the r10s bass are at odds with mine when it comes to break in and bass.

The bass when I first got the phones, which were brand new, direct from Japan, was rediculous.
The bass was more than any previous headphone including rs-1s and 990dts, and senn 650s. Now the phones got more refined of course, and lost some bass impact as well(but did tighten up).

I missed the lost impact but I knew thats what was going to happen owning a previously owned pair before I recieved the new ones.

Perhaps the hr-2 doesnt give em quite enough juice. Markl seems to think it fine, but I believe Kieran Comito, and some others think the combo lack a bit of oomph.

The cary had no such problems....

Just an interesting difference in opinion and or performance,

k.s.

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by bdh
BANGPOD,

Just to be clear, I was describing conventional speakers with that statement. While the headphones are increadibly realistic, one thing they don't do is throw a sound stage out in front of you like speakers can. Maybe cross-overs can help with that, but I've never tried a cross-over yet. To me, the sound-stage of the R-10's is all around your head, not within your head like a lot of headphones.

bdh

bdh --

I am fully aware that you were describing conventional speakers.
But, that is STILL what I look for in a headphone -- image placing.

So, a tube output-staged CD player matches well with the R-10?

I plan on using my HR-2 with a Underwood-modded Jolida JD100A.
It will cost $2150.00, level-2 with an Audiocom SuperClock II in.
biggrin.gif

Have you tried the combination with a solid state CD player?
If so, how did you find? Did you prefer the tube one better?

Scott

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by bdh
And even after all the glorious music I now have, headphones still don’t have the satisfaction and the incredible experience as compared to sitting nearfield to my B&W 801’s with Conrad Johnson Premier 11’s. But then nothing I’ve heard yet has.
----------------------------------------------
P.S. You don’t need to respond about my poor CD players, etc. I’ve just been waiting for the perfect Universal player. Maybe the Esoteric DV-50. We’ll see.

Point 1: I am not surprised they did not best the CJ and B&W combo that you have -- I just have a baby version and it is total heaven. The premiere 11's are so so sweet in tone -- they are captivating.

Point 2: Yes, yes I do need to respond about your poor CD player if you are using 801s and premiere 11s! Come now! Please invest in an appropriate source, pronto. Or at least bring your nu tjoeb home....

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #25 of 29
Head-Fi'ers --

I am just bumping this to the top, so...
Bdh can see my above post and respond.

Scott

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #26 of 29
BANGPOD wrote,
Quote:

Have you tried the combination with a solid state CD player?

I've only tried with the Marantz 63SE, which did not perform very well with the headphone-out, but then it is an older, lower priced CDP. The music improved greatly going through the HR-2, though.

One thing I do like about the Njoe Tjoeb is that I can change tubes and which definately does effect the sound. The stock tubes it came with were very hard to listen to -- very fatiguing. I have four sets of tubes I've tried and definately like the Telefunkens best so far. Maybe some day I will take the HR-2 and Njoe Tjoeb and swap op-amps and tubes all day and see what happens with different combinations. It's sure nice to be able to fine-tune your music.

bdh

Mar 16, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #28 of 29
Ok, there it is in the subject for all to see - R10's rule.

At least for now
cool.gif

Bring on your L3000's, Omega II's, Baby O's, Orpheus (oops, scratch that, I haven't heard the big O, only the Baby)

In my experience, given a decent source and amplifier, the Sony MDR R10 is, indeed, the King. Here's why - i will freely admit that the R10 may be slightly less than analytically perfect (can you say Omega II/KGSS) in its presentation, but it is "humanus perfectus" - the extent to which it may be skewed, is skewed in the direction that presses most homo listenus' audio buttons.

In my listening experience, the engineers (artisans?) who designed and built the R10's used as much art as science, and, to their enduring credit, the R10 stands at the top of the headphone heap lo these many years (is it 10, 15?, some Head-Fi historian surely can fill us in) since it's release.

Long live the King!

Note: YMMV - and you MUST have a good source and amplifier to reveal what the R10 is capable of.

edit: spelling

Mar 16, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by agile_one
to their enduring credit, the R10 stands at the top of the headphone heap lo these many years (is it 10, 15?, some Head-Fi historian surely can fill us in) since it's release.

IIRC the manual with mine is dated 1989. My R10 is serial number 13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back