Thoughts On Lance Armstrong's Retirement...
Jul 26, 2005 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
I am watching "The Science Of Lance Armstrong" on the Discovery Channel. I know that there is interest at Head-Fi about Lance and cycling so I am wondering about what thoughts there might be out there about his retirement. While I am most interested in getting the thoughts of those of you that follow the sport of cycling and especially the Tour de France, I would like to solicit thoughts on the retirement of this incredible athelete from anyone that has an opinion on the topic. As for me I admire Lance's accomplishments both on and off of a bicycle. I thank him for all of his efforts in sport and within the community of cancer patients and survivors. I wish him all of the best in his future. I find his entire story to be inspiring and even heroic...

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 42
I know nothing about cycling but when I read Armstrong's story I was impressed and proud that he's American. It irritates me that some of these European athletes are trying to convince people that his successes are due to the use of illegal performance enhancers.

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG
It irritates me that some of these European athletes are trying to convince people that his successes are due to the use of illegal performance enhancers.

Thats what people say when anyone works their ass off to get better, but he definatly doesnt deserve that. Especially going through what he did just to stay alive, and still having enough in him to work to get back and the bike and back to his winning self.

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 42
I congratulate him for his tremendous accomplishments in cycling, and what he's gone through regarding his battle with cancer, but to be perfectly honest, I'm tired of hearing about him. I wish him all the best, everyone who puts in the effort he did deserves such, it's just the overexposure that gets on my nerves. That said, I seriously doubt his 7 year reign as Tour De France champ will be broken, so in the cycling world, he is certainly a legend.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 42
I have a great appreciation for the caliber of athlete he is and the accomplishments he's made on the track and in the fight against cancer.

I have a hard time staying focused on those things when I see or hear about him due to his infidelity, that really bothers me.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 42
His achievements are just plain incredible. While I personally hoped he'd race for another year, I'm glad also that he's had a sense to step down while he is at the top, just as Barry Sanders had done few years back in football.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 42
ill admit i was worried about this going into the tour, however with the performance of some other Americans in the race ie lipheimer, i am now not so worried. lance will be sorely missed but i think American cycling has a future in the tour. he will be remembered at least by myself, all blood doping BS aside as a great athlete and a great American (i can even overlook the sheryl crow connection) and i will miss him a great deal. can anyone say commentator for next years tour sitting next to Bob Roll???

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 42
eek.gif
The guy is definitely in good shape. I doubt this will be the end of his career though (I think hes going to pull off a Michael Jordan)

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
As for me I admire Lance's accomplishments both on and off of a bicycle. I thank him for all of his efforts in sport and within the community of cancer patients and survivors. I wish him all of the best in his future. I find his entire story to be inspiring and even heroic...

Doug, as usual, you've said it best.

From his books to just cheering him on in the good fight to both survive and win, he's been an icon of spirit and good. The two areas that he has marked our lives with are health and his favorite sport.

When one of our Reps in St Louis first gave me a Livestrong bracelet, I both could not thank him enough for sharing and have kept it on ever since. "Why are you wearing that all the time?" "Did you just get out of the hospital?" "Oh you should see the new bracelets they came out with." I have heard it all. I won't take it off 'til there's a cure. Wanting to have my whole family wear them, maybe I'll see if they can make larger ones as well so I can use them as collars for my cats
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, cycling is a passion of Lance's, as well as mine. I am happiest cycling through the rails-to-trails conservatories that exist all over this country. I hope that someday, this nation will fully recognize the benefit of cycling as both a sport and a lifestyle. I hope the cycling commuters start getting cheered on, instead of ridiculed. I believe that Lance's popularity has given the cycling sport and lifestyle community credibilty to move to the next level.

I also frequent bikeforums.net, where one person remarked that you should wear the yellow jersey if you've earned it. That has a few meanings to me, in addition to the obvious tour leader icon. Lance has earned it in every aspect of his life so far.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
can anyone say commentator for next years tour sitting next to Bob Roll???

i was on the champs for the finish and talking with a bunch of people and they thought i was fairly daft to think of him as a commentator (espcially so soon), but i think he would be soooooooooooo good! my only regret would be that i wouldn't be able to hear him here in paris....

as for the livestrong yellow bracelet -- i bought mine last year on the champs and haven't taken it off since. i almost died three years ago and was given a very poor prognosis for survival, let alone much chance of quality of life. i'm happy to say, i've defied the odds.... and no, it wasn't cancer. but the livestrong message isn't just for cancer survivors. it's for all sorts of survivors, that you can come back from the brink. it's also for everyone else as well. look at those three incredible musicians from shure. you never know when it's going to happen so it's a credo for all of us while we're here -- LIVESTRONG!

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 42
After watching lance for the last 4 years on OLN, all I can say is wow. I couldnt give one **** about his surving cancer. People do that everyday. Yeah he has it in his balls, lungs, and brain. Yeah thats pretty serious. But seriously, who really cares. The only thing thats important is that he is the best cyclist to have ever lived. And that he has set a mark that probably wont be beat in my life time. Saddly...

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnrgi
The only thing thats important is that he is the best cyclist to have ever lived. And that he has set a mark that probably wont be beat in my life time. Saddly...

you don't care about lance's back story, fine.... but while he's an amazing rider (and i've been a fan of his since before the cancer), he's definitely not the best to 'have ever lived.' he's dominated the tour de france, no doubt, but that's all. there are many other races all the time and a lot of the riders do several a year rather than concentrate on one race. i love lance, but i don't think he's the best ever (perhaps eddy merckx???).... will someone ever win seven tour de frances like lance again? highly doubtful. but i wouldn't be sad. there are several stupendous riders out there and up-and-coming....

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 42
I have read and appreciate all of the sentiments and comments offered above. However, as the originator of this thread I was hoping that it wouldn't degenerate into a "who's the greatest cyclist of all time" conversation. I was hoping that we could discuss Lance's "story" with emphasis on his retirement. Would it be possible to focus the conversation on those issues...?

Stevesurf, thanks for your comments and the heads-up on bikeforums.net...maybe I'll "see" you there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back