Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #5,581 of 6,500
May 30, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #5,583 of 6,500
May 30, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #5,584 of 6,500
Next month, in a mini-met in France, I will be able to compare  TotalDAC d1  against  AYON Stealth  against  VIVA Numerico CD/DAC  (to go with either my EC445 or... the VIVA Egoista 845 IF the VIVA Headphone Amp is better than my Eddie curent EC445 )

I know the AYON and TotaDAC are supposed to be much better than the VIVA Numerico, but.... the Numerico seems to offer an increadible synergy with the VIVA Egoista 845 Amp (everytime I listened to the VIVA Egoista Amp, I was amazed, and each time it was driven by the Numerico, so... the Numerico must be good !?)

May 30, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #5,585 of 6,500
by the way, I am going End of August to CanJam Europe in LONDON. 
wink_face.gif

I already reserved the Russell Hotel and the Eurostar from France. I am arriving on Friday at 14:05 by Eurostar from Lille. 
wink_face.gif

Anyone else from Belgium or France wish to come ?  ( come early afternoon to do some city tour/shopping on Friday afternoon)

And....  do not forget to find a way to identify yourself at CanJam with a badge like this

I wish VIVA Audio  will be there also.  In Munich I got lost in the music 1 hour per day with VIVA Egoista 845 + Numerico ! 

May 30, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #5,586 of 6,500
  by the way, I am going End of August to CanJam Europe in LONDON. 
wink_face.gif

I already reserved the Russell Hotel and the Eurostar from France. I am arriving on Friday at 14:05 by Eurostar from Lille. 
wink_face.gif

Anyone else from Belgium or France wish to come ?  ( come early afternoon to do some city tour/shopping on Friday afternoon)

And....  do not forget to find a way to identify yourself at CanJam with a badge like this.

Sounds like a blast ............. have fun !

May 30, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #5,587 of 6,500
I have the theta chroma 396 which is a hybrid r2r dac i believe. Ive been comparing it to new dacs and am shocked everytime. You would think that a Dac like the Yulong DA8 would blow it out of the water but not so. The theta has a hige soundstage w great bass and is overall much more natural sounding. This was while feeding it with a concero. The top end can get bright at times and thats really the only point of contention.
Plus it needs to be fed a clean signal. But dacs havent really progressed that much.

May 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #5,588 of 6,500
I have the theta chroma 396 which is a hybrid r2r dac i believe. Ive been comparing it to new dacs and am shocked everytime. You would think that a Dac like the Yulong DA8 would blow it out of the water but not so. The theta has a hige soundstage w great bass and is overall much more natural sounding. This was while feeding it with a concero. The top end can get bright at times and thats really the only point of contention.
Plus it needs to be fed a clean signal. But dacs havent really progressed that much.

What equipment are you using to compare? As I said the difference between my Theta and my PS Audio dac are only apparent using high end gear.

May 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5,589 of 6,500
retracted, no point and I should know better by now. Sigh.

May 30, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #5,591 of 6,500
It was actually on my 2.1 system not headphones. Sorry. But its a pretty good system. Wells audio akasha amp. Evolution acoustics micro one speakers. Computer usb to concero to theta chroma dac.

I think the whole your system isn't good enough to show the differences is really not much of an argument, and clearly your system is very nice. I think people hear things as different in sighted listening tests far too easily and often. Cudos for not reporting hearing a difference when you weren't sure.

May 31, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #5,592 of 6,500
Im not saying anyones rig isnt good enough. Just wondering what associated equipment was being used. Some people also cannot hear differences in equipment as well as others. My system is very similar to mcullinan and I can easily hear the difference between DACs.

May 31, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,594 of 6,500
Hi there

Been reading your post almost everyday.

Just wanted to know what are the top 5 dacs that are either 1bit or R2R of the 80s-90s

Maybe you've been reading. Maybe you haven't been understanding. Maybe you should start again. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,595 of 6,500
Hi there

Been reading your post almost everyday.

Just wanted to know what are the top 5 dacs that are either 1bit or R2R of the 80s-90s

hehe there is no definitive answer to this question. If you want me to give you a rundown of the most expensive R2R DACs of the 80s and 90s we can start with the Spectral SDR-2000, Sonic Frontiers SFD2-MKii, Theta Gen V, Accuphase DP-90, a few from Esoteric, the old Naim DAC just to name some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back