Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 4, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4,801 of 6,500
  Hey guys, I have a question.  I want to spend ~$200 to buy a DAC to use with my stereo speaker system.  I have been looking at the ODAC and the Schiit Modi 2 Uber.  Can anyone compare the sonic performance of these two DACs?  Or can someone recommend a better DAC that can be had for about $200?

Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks#post_10040449

what you need is included

May 4, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #4,802 of 6,500
  Hello guys (and gals), I just read on the impressions page for a Bay Area meet that happened yesterday one of the head-fi'ers revolutionary discoveries: he tried the new Geek Out v2 (unreleased), and he thought it was better in terms of smoothness and soundstage than another DAC worth 20x more (I'm not going to name the other DAC for fear of sponsor reprisal but let's say the last two letters are TT and the first is the opposite of chordless). You can watch the video of it here:

I have the GO1000 and it is definitely incredible value and even better out of the Schiit Wyrd than direct out of my computer. I didn't think it was good as my Master 7 or Chord Hugo though, as it sounds a bit flatter and less resolving as a DAC anyway. I'm very glad that they aren't crowdsourcing the new version. When they are readily available I'm definitely going to buy the new model.

May 4, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #4,803 of 6,500

... with a Sabre ES9018AQ2M?  Would love to see if this implementation exhibits that classic glare on the treble like its 901xK2M brethren are wont to do.

In the audio world, sometimes specs alone don't serve justice and you'll know only after trying it.
Quote:

GOv2 was impressive. I'll eat my shorts on hating Sabre for this one.

blink.gif

April first again already?

Hello again Stillhart, nope - purrin was actually at this head-fi meet yesterday and actually likes the Geek Out v2.

Also @skeptic I was not endorsing this product, only hoping to spark a little interest, so that we can hear more reviews about it after more people get the chance to try it.

May 4, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #4,806 of 6,500
  You think he's trying to throw people just for a laugh and make them look stupid for trusting his opinion 
rather than
he actually thinks it is a good product?

No, no, no; He definitely said it's impressive!

I want one. How much is....never mind... where can I get one?

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #4,807 of 6,500
I am not endorsing this DAC but since somebody asked, you can click here to pre-order yours for $1, then then the rest will be charged (about $220) when it's shipped. The orders for this are shipped out in batch ship dates; I just got in to batch 23 which won't ship till Nov. 25th.

After I get mine I will do an in depth comparison between the Geek Out v2 and my Gustard X12 DAC, then keep the one I like best.

May 4, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #4,808 of 6,500
  I am not endorsing this DAC but since somebody asked, you can click here to pre-order yours for $1, then then the rest will be charged (about $220) when it's shipped. The orders for this are shipped out in batch ship dates; I just got in to batch 23 which won't ship till Nov. 25th.

After I get mine I will do an in depth comparison between the Geek Out v2 and my Gustard X12 DAC, then keep the one I like best.

I read the SF meet impressions on the Geek Out V2. If it poops on the Chord Hugo TT I will have to give it a try. I'm looking for a good portable DAC

May 4, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #4,809 of 6,500

Delivery on November 25, wow .. that's quite a leap of faith. Is the GOv2 so good that you forgot how LH has missed every single delivery deadline during the last few years !? In some cases by more than 6 months! At least that "order for $1" option sounds fair.

Not sure about those shipping prices, though ... $47 to EU sounds pretty inflated. DHL quotes €16 for such a small package going the other way, are US postal services so much more expensive !?! And btw, that $47 is actually more like $75 for me because, for some mysterious reason, the customs here include shipping in the base product cost for which you pay 20% VAT & other customs taxes. Nowadays the $225 GOv2 will actually cost me ~€350 ... not such a good deal anymore. Free trade my a*s.

May 4, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4,810 of 6,500

GOv2 was impressive. I'll eat my shorts on hating Sabre for this one.

Signature Edition, or run-of-the-mill?

It was run of the mill. I stole the prototype to do a full review after the meet. We all heard the same unit together. It was ridiculous. It's better than the base Pulse unit. The V2 is very, very good. The V1 was polarizing with a bunch of folks, but I got Anax, Purrin, CEE TEE and myself together (we all have different tastes) and we all listened to the unit with our own choice of headphones (purrin used the HE-560 straight out of it, Anax went Leckerton > UERM, CEE TEE went Leckerton > HD800, and I tried the HD600 right out of it and leckerton > HD800). I've never seen anything the four of us could wholeheartedly recommend at the price point, but the $299 unit was just so darn good.

Delivery on November 25, wow .. that's quite a leap of faith. Is the GOv2 so good that you forgot how LH has missed every single delivery deadline during the last few years !? In some cases by more than 6 months! At least that "order for $1" option sounds fair.

Not sure about those shipping prices, though ... $47 to EU sounds pretty inflated. DHL quotes €16 for such a small package going the other way, are US postal services so much more expensive !?! And btw, that $47 is actually more like $75 for me because, for some mysterious reason, the customs here include shipping in the base product cost for which you pay 20% VAT & other customs taxes. Nowadays the $225 GOv2 will actually cost me ~€350 ... not such a good deal anymore. Free trade my a*s.

One thing I'd note, this is an official preorder rather than a crowdsourcing investment which means you're free to cancel at any time if you feel like their promise management isn't working out. 

May 4, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #4,811 of 6,500

It was run of the mill. I stole the prototype to do a full review after the meet. We all heard the same unit together. It was ridiculous. It's better than the base Pulse unit. The V2 is very, very good. The V1 was polarizing with a bunch of folks, but I got Anax, Purrin, CEE TEE and myself together (we all have different tastes) and we all listened to the unit with our own choice of headphones (purrin used the HE-560 straight out of it, Anax went Leckerton > UERM, CEE TEE went Leckerton > HD800, and I tried the HD600 right out of it and leckerton > HD800). I've never seen anything the four of us could wholeheartedly recommend at the price point, but the $299 unit was just so darn good.

So, "very good for $299, better than anything we've heard at this price point" but not "Yggy/Theta-thrashingly, Moffat's-got-mud-on-his-face" good?

May 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #4,814 of 6,500
Attention, there are some Thetas on eBay. Surprised at how many "watchers" are on both listings. Both are very desirable and I can vouch for one of them.

"If there is a reason why DACs of past is still favorably looked upon, the ____________ is one such reason. This DAC has amazingly depth and soundstage and unlike many other newer sub-$1000 DACs, the Theta placed more emphasize on the soul of the music rather than bringing forth music through lots of bits and oversampling. The Theta has a more natural appeal and music seems to flow smoother. It might lose a small edge when compared with the multi-bit/ high oversampling DACs in terms of finer details but in terms of musical enjoyment for the dollar, this is the one to beat. For serious little money, this is one DAC we highly recommend to any audiophile system. Digital inputs are coaxial and Toslink with one coaxial output. Analog outputs are RCA and XLR." - seller

Sounds about right 

May 4, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,815 of 6,500
  Attention, there are some Thetas on eBay. Surprised at how many "watchers" are on both listings. Both are very desirable and I can vouch for one of them.

"If there is a reason why DACs of past is still favorably looked upon, the ____________ is one such reason. This DAC has amazingly depth and soundstage and unlike many other newer sub-$1000 DACs, the Theta placed more emphasize on the soul of the music rather than bringing forth music through lots of bits and oversampling. The Theta has a more natural appeal and music seems to flow smoother. It might lose a small edge when compared with the multi-bit/ high oversampling DACs in terms of finer details but in terms of musical enjoyment for the dollar, this is the one to beat. For serious little money, this is one DAC we highly recommend to any audiophile system. Digital inputs are coaxial and Toslink with one coaxial output. Analog outputs are RCA and XLR." - seller

Sounds about right 

Are you trying to inflate the prices just for grins and giggles now that you have yours?  Let the people who have been watching and are waiting for a good deal have their good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back