Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4,576 of 6,500
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth (~$500) also uses dual AD1955 chips. IMO it's a very good implementation of that particular chip and actively competes with the Gungnir in overall quality. Note: The two are voiced very differently. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #4,578 of 6,500

The point of this thread is to make you second guess or at least wonder about the following:

1) Why the **** are there mostly / only D-S DACs around today? Even if we have $1500-$2000 to spend, why do we have no choice?
2) Of the few R2R DACs around today, why do most of them, regardless of price, suck fuzzy balls in terms of resolution and soundstage, unlike some of the vintage R2R DACs?
3) How the hell did the "audiophile industry" forget how good the DACs were from the "Golden Era of DACs" 25 years ago? How did the "audiophile industry" slowly ram the ****ty artifacts of D-S DAC down our throats? Why did we as consumers just bend over and allow the industry to **** us up the ass?

So if I want to buy a current model DAC, my two choices are: 
1 - Buy a Yggy
2 - Be anally penetrated
Am I reading that right?

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #4,579 of 6,500
I have been hearing Msb released a new firmware around the early part of last week that shock horror, apparently improves the Analog a lot adding amongst other things to resolution. Anyone tried that yet?

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4,581 of 6,500
Honestly, I think if you have $1k+ to spend on a DAC, you're probably better off saving up for an yggy than buying anything else.

Because $1000 is so close to $2300...

Or wait, you said $1000+.  I have $10,000+ to spend on a car, but I might as well save up for the $23,000 car instead.  Makes perfect sense.

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #4,582 of 6,500
I have been hearing Msb released a new firmware around the early part of last week that shock horror, apparently improves the Analog a lot adding amongst other things to resolution. Anyone tried that yet?

I do confirm that. The sound quality received a significant boost in resolution, transients (better impact), holography, textures, etc.  Adding the usb split cable with usb linear power supply and a power regen also helped a lot. 
Also have a friend that experienced similar results with the firmware upgrade. However, Msb qualifies as wallet rape in most countries, so you would still be in the second category :))

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #4,583 of 6,500
How's Yggy single ended output? Is it as bad as Gungnir? meaning higher noise floor.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,586 of 6,500
Honestly, I think if you have $1k+ to spend on a DAC, you're probably better off saving up for an yggy than buying anything else.

That makes no sense.  $1000 is less than half of the cost of a Yggy.  You can get 2-3 vintage Thetas for that price (backups in case one burns out from being old) and have something that's close to the Yggy for a fraction of the cost.  

I'm sure the Yggdrasil is a wonderful DAC... I have heard it and very much enjoyed it... but the hype train needs to take step back and listen to itself once in a while.  Lord!

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #4,587 of 6,500

That makes no sense.  $1000 is less than half of the cost of a Yggy.  You can get 2-3 vintage Thetas for that price (backups in case one burns out from being old) and have something that's close to the Yggy for a fraction of the cost.

I'm sure the Yggdrasil is a wonderful DAC... I have heard it and very much enjoyed it... but the hype train needs to take step back and listen to itself once in a while.  Lord!

I think the point is that if you are looking and willing to spend $1000+ on a DAC at all....you are probably looking for the best your money can buy, and if you can hold out, you might as well save for, what some say, is the best offering in recent history.

I get it and I used the same thought process. I was going to by Gungnir, but thought, 'I'll probably end up wanting Yggy.....might as well just go for it!'    If you cant swing it.....then don't....simple as that.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #4,588 of 6,500
The point of this thread is to make you second guess or at least wonder about the following:

1) Why the **** are there mostly / only D-S DACs around today? Even if we have $1500-$2000 to spend, why do we have no choice?

Obviously there is no single clear answer but this is an interesting question. Is it a simple case of initially assuming newer = better and then getting stuck in the momentum?

Or, more cynically, is it a matter of pinching pennies? I imagine many audio companies have someone upstairs who will pick the cheapest chip every time, as long as people will buy it in sufficient quantities. Same reason nice restaurants serve schiit beer for $9.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #4,589 of 6,500

You're looking at this all wrong.  Buying the Yggy is saving you $9,000 US over the price of a dCS Debussey.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #4,590 of 6,500
Ahh the "fallacy of percentages" strikes again.. (for lack of a better term). The difference between $1000 and $2300 is much different than the difference between $10,000 and $23,000. $11,700 to be exact, or if we're still speaking in percentages, 900% different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back