Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 25, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #4,501 of 6,500

I repeat/reiterate

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, does it make a sound?

If a great DAC is playing music and 99.9999% of the audience can't afford it, is it really playing music?

Yes, because 0.0001% heard the music, and 0% heard the tree falls.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #4,502 of 6,500
  **** that, what's wrong with motherboard built-in audio anyway? Bet the Yggy doesn't run at 4.5 Ghz.

My motherboard can't even even handle 10kHz+ without really weird distortions and subtones.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #4,503 of 6,500
  If a great DAC is playing music and 99.9999% of the audience can't afford it, is it really playing music?

Those who "can't afford it" are not the target market.  They only post things like this, demonstrating their jealousy and envy.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,506 of 6,500
  Those who "can't afford it" are not the target market.  They only post things like this, demonstrating their jealousy and envy.

Gah, you're right...Bad wording on my part. Okay, let's revamp this analogy:

If a great DAC is playing music and 99.9999% of the audience can't afford it or those of us that can view it as being spectacularly and laughably overpriced for what it does and feel that you're paying for the looks, brand name or marketing hype and will probably never own it or bother with it for one of those two reasons, is it really playing music?

BTW, Schitt certainly seems to "get it".

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,507 of 6,500
I understand your point but it's really not relevant to anything.  What does the price matter?  Economics says that no matter the price of a thing, if there is a market for it and if people buy it in sufficient quantities to make it worth producing, then it is not overpriced.  If people buy a thing at its price point, then it is priced correctly.  The fact that any given individual may or may not be able to afford the thing is completely irrelevant.  :)

And yes, DACs like the dCs Davinci make beautiful music.  Its price has nothing to do with that.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #4,508 of 6,500
  I understand your point but it's really not relevant to anything.  What does the price matter?  Economics says that no matter the price of a thing, if there is a market for it and if people buy it in sufficient quantities to make it worth producing, then it is not overpriced.  If people buy a thing at its price point, then it is priced correctly.  The fact that any given individual may or may not be able to afford the thing is completely irrelevant.  :)

And yes, DACs like the dCs Davinci make beautiful music.  Its price has nothing to do with that.

What does the item matter if only 0.0001% of people who listen to music think enough of it to purchase it. For that matter, what does that tiny population matter?

"For what it does" means it plays music. If you're not even reaching 1% of potential music listeners, you're doing something terribly wrong with your product.

(if anyone wants to challenge these made-up statistics, feel free, but I don't think they're off the mark)

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4,509 of 6,500
What does the item matter if only 0.0001% of people who listen to music think enough of it to purchase it. For that matter, what does that tiny population matter?

"For what it does" means it plays music. If you're not even reaching 1% of potential music listeners, you're doing something terribly wrong with your product.

(if anyone wants to challenge these made-up statistics, feel free, but I don't think they're off the mark)

It all depends on the market.

As an eater, I would rather dine at Ruth's Chris than McDonalds.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,510 of 6,500

Ah well you really don't get it....  Who cares how many people hear something or can own something?  Is a McLaren any less of a super-car because only .01% of the population could ever possibly own one?  Is the MBL Radialstrahler any less of a superb loudspeaker system because no mere mortal can put them in their home? Of course not.  Your point is moot, sorry. 

Just because YOU can't afford something only means it has no value TO YOU.  But it does not diminish the thing at all, nor does it diminish the value it might have to those who CAN afford it.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #4,511 of 6,500
Also, one more thing about prices, especially in this hobby...Usually any audio review I read, someone is like, "When I hooked my Zideon DAC ($25000 base price with $10000 upgraded power supply and $15000 CD transport) up to my Blowhard Omega Speakers ($250,000 per pair) and they are powered by the Gingko Power Amp ($75,000 with optional $5,000 NOS Ginseng Power Tubes), I was amazed at how they sounded." You can probably find the equivalent of what I just wrote in the latest Stereophile.

So yeah, that type of price dick-waving is something that makes high-end audio into the butt of a lot of jokes and it ends up becoming more the focus that what the units actually do. Again, it's something that Schitt seems to have figured out.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #4,512 of 6,500
  Ah well you really don't get it....  Who cares how many people hear something or can own something?  Is a McLaren any less of a super-car because only .01% of the population could ever possibly own one?  Is the MBL Radialstrahler any less of a superb loudspeaker system because no mere mortal can put them in their home? Of course not.  Your point is moot, sorry. 

Just because YOU can't afford something only means it has no value TO YOU.  But it does not diminish the thing at all, nor does it diminish the value it might have to those who CAN afford it.

If you can't own it, don't want to own it or if you do end up owning it but can never feel comfortable with it because of the price, does it really exist?

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #4,513 of 6,500
This is getting tiresome.  You are entitled to your opinion, go for it.  But don't judge those of us who feel some things justify their high price and have no trouble paying it when it's something we want.  If you can't, well sorry, everyone's situation is different, welcome to America.  But it's only seen as "dick waving" by those jealous of others who can afford the price tag.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #4,514 of 6,500
The Yggy is very fairly priced given what it costs to build and the bill of materials. There is no price gouging here like the rest of high-end audio does.. you picked the wrong target to get mad at for high-end audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back