Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #4,471 of 6,500
iFi audio...into bit-perfect filtering since 2 years ago when the iFi micro iDSD was released (and it's portable)...AMR way way back...their engineers (Thoersten Loestch, among others) discuss a lot about their engineering at the iFi nano, micro, Retro 50 and Pro threads...

Yes, there are a few -- it's not just the guys from Schiit, but I would still call those who take the time to do so the exception, rather than the rule.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,472 of 6,500
  @pfygcri, have you never seen the epic posts typed up by Ayre's Charles Hansen ? This thread got decidedly nasty in places, but Charlie shoots straight from the hip and he clearly got sick of the usual suspects at CA telling him how to design a DAC. Like Mike and Jason, he wears his heart on his sleeve re the future of DSD - or lack thereof - but he was bludgeoned into implementing DSD in the latest version of the QB-9. 

I have, yeah -- pretty sure Mike isn't going to be bludgeoned into implementing DSD, even though many have thrown a few club swings his way.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #4,473 of 6,500
Just pull the trigger on Schiit : 

Gungnir with USB
Wyrd
Asgard 2
1x RCA Cables
2x USB cables

Oufff... Big amount of money, but will sure love this stack.

Next step is headphones, but will have to reflow the bank account before :p 

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4,474 of 6,500
For those of us that have no faith in DSD, it just gives Mike even more credibility. I can't quite wrap my head around the hype of such a limited selection of music, even if what I've heard does sound quite nice.

And yes, this thread does a fine job of "selling" the idea of R2R DAC's. Ignorance and common sense would lead people to believe that DAC's would improve over the years, not fall prey to the cost cutting measures of D-S. But part of that is the fault of the community at large, because there is no real great consensus on what DAC's sound good. Purrin does the best and what I find to be the most objective breakdown available here. It's not coming across as shilling or "new toy syndrome" like so many other DAC impressions do.

I'm of the camp that expects to see an R2R-based Bifrost or Gungnir next year, using trickle-down technology (Modi? Hmm...) or even a Yggy Jr (since it's inevitable that a good number of people can't shell out $2300).

Changing the marketplace from cost-effective D-S by increasing awareness of R2R would be quite a stroke of brilliance on Schitt's part. If it leads to an overall improvement in sound quality, I'm all for it. If other companies can't match it...well, maybe they should stop making DAC's?

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #4,475 of 6,500
if you have an extra $70, reconsider the Wyrd and go with an Uptone Audio USB Regen instead.
that new Regen reclocker provides even better clarity and music detail delivery, without losing depth on soundstage.
in my setup at least, and confirmed by a bunch of other early customers of the Regen product.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #4,476 of 6,500
  if you have an extra $70, reconsider the Wyrd and go with an Uptone Audio USB Regen instead.
that new Regen reclocker provides even better clarity and music detail delivery, without losing depth on soundstage.
in my setup at least, and confirmed by a bunch of other early customers of the Regen product.

I know you guys are talking about this w/r/t the Gungnir, but I'd would also like to see people assess the quality difference of their new Yggies with their existing Wyrd and Regen units before I plunk money down on one of those, given that it may not even be necessary with the improvements from Schiit's USB v3 in Yggy.  Still haven't heard back from them about the point in the Yggdrasil v1.1 manual about considering a Wyrd for über-power-conserving USB ports... so Jason, is it still beneficial for Yggy or unnecessary?

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,477 of 6,500
  For those of us that have no faith in DSD, it just gives Mike even more credibility. I can't quite wrap my head around the hype of such a limited selection of music, even if what I've heard does sound quite nice.

And yes, this thread does a fine job of "selling" the idea of R2R DAC's. Ignorance and common sense would lead people to believe that DAC's would improve over the years, not fall prey to the cost cutting measures of D-S. But part of that is the fault of the community at large, because there is no real great consensus on what DAC's sound good. Purrin does the best and what I find to be the most objective breakdown available here. It's not coming across as shilling or "new toy syndrome" like so many other DAC impressions do.

I'm of the camp that expects to see an R2R-based Bifrost or Gungnir next year, using trickle-down technology (Modi? Hmm...) or even a Yggy Jr (since it's inevitable that a good number of people can't shell out $2300).

Changing the marketplace from cost-effective D-S by increasing awareness of R2R would be quite a stroke of brilliance on Schitt's part. If it leads to an overall improvement in sound quality, I'm all for it. If other companies can't match it...well, maybe they should stop making DAC's?

I dig this. I am keeping my Bifrost Uber and using it as a stand for my Asgard 2 and to keep heat transfer from reaching the Theta below. If they bring about the Bifrost Uber 2 or Gungnir 2 I am all on board with an R2R board update

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,479 of 6,500

snip

This.  I have yet to figure out what the hype is all about with DSD.  There's almost none of it around, the files are MASSIVE and expensive.  It's also expensive to get DAC's that support it properly (the huge price difference between the AK120ii and the AK240 is basically DSD256).  And then there's the whole issue of "was it even recorded in DSD or is it resampled?  If so, why even bother using DSD?" etc.  It just seems like such a BS marketing hype thing that I really can't fathom what the big deal is.

Clearly I must be missing something...

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #4,480 of 6,500

This.  I have yet to figure out what the hype is all about with DSD.  There's almost none of it around, the files are MASSIVE and expensive.  It's also expensive to get DAC's that support it properly (the huge price difference between the AK120ii and the AK240 is basically DSD256).  And then there's the whole issue of "was it even recorded in DSD or is it resampled?  If so, why even bother using DSD?" etc.  It just seems like such a BS marketing hype thing that I really can't fathom what the big deal is.

I'm sure the Schiit guys sat around a table wondering the same thing. That is why they released the Loki.. just so you can try it. I'm sure there are  better DSD-type DACs out there but why go through the hassle?

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4,481 of 6,500
It's a flavor of the month that has gone past the expiration date.

On the plus side, when someone chimes in and says, "This unit isn't any good...No DSD support", I know to stop listening to them. :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #4,483 of 6,500
Didn't realize immediately this is just a marketing thread.

Dude Im sorry to have to repeat this quote as I have also read your later posts,
but I have to say it comes across incredibly rude and insulting when "Baldr" was enlightening us with historical information that I am sure everyone appreciated.

Anyways that's how I read it..
Really bad form.
:frowning2:

:confused:
The original post predates Purrin hearing the Yggy for the first time.  The Yggy is the first dac by Schiit to top the list.  The Master 7 ruled the roost for quite some time before Purrin got his hands on a Sonic Frontiers dac.  You could not be more wrong about this thread.    

he should know this so theres no excuse.

iFi audio...into bit-perfect filtering since 2 years ago when the iFi micro iDSD was released (and it's portable)...AMR way way back...their engineers (Thoersten Loestch, among others) discuss a lot about their engineering at the iFi nano, micro, Retro 50 and Pro threads...

now put your same type post in those threads if any and see how it looks.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #4,484 of 6,500
There's actually a reason that a Balanced Isolation Transformer costs more than a ~$115 UPS, pure sine or not.  There's oodles of noise coming out of those cheap CyberPower UPSes, which is why I also agree with you and went for the "Hospital Grade" Tripp-Lite over the regular version.  Twice the price, but I still paid < $400 for a 1000VA and <$300 for a 500VA unit.  I find CompSource always tends to have these for cheap.  Tripp-Lite's documentation calls out that the -HG models have leakage current less than 100µA, which it definitely doesn't say for the regular ISOlatOR series (non Hospital Grade).  I find a lot of stuff that's labelled and marketed to audiophiles costs a ridiculous amount of money over the regular product, but then it's all about finding one that works well.  That's my two cents, YMMV.

thank you for that info as I just purchased a trip-lite iso transformer very good deal on Amazon.
No more wories about power
:)

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4,485 of 6,500

They can't record in DSD; it was invented for archiving and never meant as a format for recording/mastering — for that, they use DXD which is for all intents and purposes (surprise!) — PCM.

The way I understand DSD is, "well, since we're using these P.O.S. delta-sigma DACs in the first place, why bother feeding it PCM when we're turning it into a 1-bit interpretation anyway?"

To which I think, "that's a crummy solution. I think I'll take everything I've read about high-frequency noise in the DSD feed, @Baldr's experience and observations from @purrin and others along with my closet full of PCM music and skip that DSD thing altogether."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back