Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 22, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #4,336 of 6,500
I do not ascribe to the Messiah nonsense, but I dont go to the other equally polemical extreme either.

I have plenty of well recorded electronica that I am fairly confident would benefit from the Yggy. I am not talking about Incunabula synth simplicity, even though it is rightly a classic, but more along the lines of Exai and Syro type schiit.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #4,337 of 6,500
Oh, by Exai you're referring to an album by Autechre and Syro meaning Aphex Twin.

Yes I also didn't agree at all with @borrego about how electronica is all "produced by synthesizer and ADC of 6 to 8bit resolutions". Theoretically some of it could be made this way, but a fair share of the all encompassing umbrella category of music known as electronic music AKA electronica with 200+ styles also incorporates organic sounds as well as synthetic sounds (prepared field recordings and vocals, in addition to multiple layers of synths), which actually make this not only the most diverse genre of infinite possibilities, but also encompasses the broadest frequency spectrum the most often. So yeah, there's uber detail in those dope tunes!

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #4,338 of 6,500
The only 'problem' I have with electronic music isn't the degree of inner detail but the amount of compression and dynamic range manipulation that is applied.

Well that and the amount of low end that is 'cut off' from some of the digitized samples.

There are some electronic instruments/sounds that can be truly impressive in terms of their harmonic content, inner details, and the range and depth of the low end.

JJ

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #4,339 of 6,500
Quote:borrego
 I think Currawong's comment summarized it: if one listen to well recorded/master acoustic material, then it makes perfect sense for the true 20bit resolution of the Yggy. If one listens mostly to music produced by synthesizer and ADC of 6 to 8bit resolutions, the Yggy won't make much difference anyway.

If you can't tell the difference between a clarinet and a bass drum, anything else won't matter either....   
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #4,340 of 6,500
  Oh, by Exai you're referring to an album by Autechre and Syro meaning Aphex Twin.

Yes I also didn't agree at all with @borrego about how electronica is all "produced by synthesizer and ADC of 6 to 8bit resolutions". Theoretically some of it could be made this way, but a fair share of the all encompassing umbrella category of music known as electronic music AKA electronica with 200+ styles also incorporates organic sounds as well as synthetic sounds (prepared field recordings and vocals, in addition to multiple layers of synths), which actually make this not only the most diverse genre of infinite possibilities, but also encompasses the broadest frequency spectrum the most often. So yeah, there's uber detail in those dope tunes!

No... No... No... I didn't imply all electronic music are of low resolution. Definitely not what I meant.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #4,342 of 6,500
' .. e.g. the electro music mentioned by the OP only contains the pure synth-generated tones and nothing more.

You are in for a surprise if you get to hear some from proper R2R dac. 
My assessment has been that badly recorded orchestral can sound dull and lacking 'plankton' or sub-content as easily as crappy EDM.

Computer synthesized stuff has the advantage of not having to go through any (sigma-delta) ADC. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #4,343 of 6,500
Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif....

I would very much like to hear from one of the engineers working at either of those companies as to why they've persisted with sigma-delta when their sticker prices would seem to indicate they could afford to implement an alternative

Hi and just to say ... mee too.
I read something amusing on the subject.

Analog Devices experts did not recommend the dac chip used because deemed too much for an audio application.
How much is too much should be open to debate especially if the listenings are so positive,

The dac chip at 100 USD/each is considered too expensive.
Yes .. maybe in a dac priced 200 USD ... but let's say that a serious high end dac usually starts around 5-6000 USD ... 100 or 200 USD more are not going to make a big difference

I really do not understand why they do not produce multibit dacs anymore ... at least to be used in better dac.
In my humble experience sigma-delta dacs lack drive ... dynamics. An unforgivable sin with music ! this is not realistic
And even gifted designers tend to follow the trend ... with replacing the famous UltraAnalog multibit dac chip with a more recent Cyrrus logic sigma delta and saying that this is a remarkable improvement on the older chip. 
eek.gif

You will understand that the monkey (me) gets easily confused 
confused.gif

Thanks for the interesting thread.
Regards,  gino

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #4,344 of 6,500
You are in for a surprise if you get to hear some from proper R2R dac. 
My assessment has been that badly recorded orchestral can sound dull and lacking 'plankton' or sub-content as easily as crappy EDM.

Computer synthesized stuff has the advantage of not having to go through any (sigma-delta) ADC. 

Admitedly I never had a proper R2R DAC audition. But this electro music subject is quite hard to debate. For the acoustic sounds one does have a clear reference, the live sound. No such reference for the synth sounds and one cannot really say that they sound better on DacX or DacY .. it's just a matter of taste & pure subjective preference.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #4,345 of 6,500
My acquisition of the Theta puts my lust for Yggy to sleep, indefinitely *

* As long as the Theta is able to work :D

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #4,346 of 6,500
The Yggy seems just ... wow ! Incredible !!!!!

But I'm sorry I have to ask this question : 

A friend is trying to convince me that spending 2000 bucks on a Wyrd + Gungnir + Asgard 2 is a waste of money. 

He wants me to try his E-MU 0202 USB sound interface... http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=15186

I'm going to try it tonight, but any though on this ? I personally think that this would be a downgrade compared to my previous Asus Xonar Essence STX... And my little finger tells me that would be like day and night with a Schiit kit...

Am I right ?

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,347 of 6,500
My acquisition of the Theta puts my lust for Yggy to sleep, indefinitely *

* As long as the Theta is able to work
biggrin.gif

That Theta upper mid/bass slam :O it truly is ridiculous.. and then of course you got the smooth "analog" sound throughout the range. Forget about "tss" "tss" that you usually hear on cymbals and bright vocals. This is detail without the S-D crap glare.

2Pac - Me Against the World
FLAC - 944kbps 16-bit 44.1khz (CD)

The Yggy seems just ... wow ! Incredible !!!!!

But I'm sorry I have to ask this question : 

A friend is trying to convince me that spending 2000 bucks on a Wyrd + Gungnir + Asgard 2 is a waste of money. 

He wants me to try his E-MU 0202 USB sound interface... http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=15186

I'm going to try it tonight, but any though on this ? I personally think that this would be a downgrade compared to my previous Asus Xonar Essence STX... And my little finger tells me that would be like day and night with a Schiit kit...

Am I right ?

Sigh... I wouldn't jump that quick. Wait for your gear to ship then do a real listening session with your friend. You might be wasting money when you could order a Yggdrasil for $2300 and starve yourself for a few weeks then rebuy your Asgard 2 until you need a Rag or balanced setup.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #4,349 of 6,500

Which headphones are you using ? If it's the Momentums listed in your profile, I would work towards upgrading those first.

I think the HD600/650s are a point where it makes sense to get the gear you are looking at.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #4,350 of 6,500

Ahahah !!! 

Well, for me it's 1345 $ US, but with customs, exchange rate and Quebec's taxes, it rises to 2000 $ CND for the Schiit kit. 

The Yggy is simply too pricey for me. I'm still not engineer, only an engineering student ! ahah ! When I'll get the real engineer pay, then, maybe :wink: 

Which headphones are you using ? If it's the Momentums listed in your profile, I would work towards upgrading those first. 

Yes, I have these headphones, but I love them. The thing is I can't always be at home to listen to music. It's a mix of university, bus and home. So I needed a pair of headphones that is good with an iPhone and a more powerful setup. I liked the sound of the Momentum in both situation so I decided to grab a pair of these last year. Still like the sound, because I have never heard one of these HD-600/650 on a good DAC+Amp setup :wink: But I don't close the door to upgrade my headphones in the next year. Momentum are good on the go, but I know there is much better than these cans with a Schiit setup. But considering it is not a crappy pair of Senn, I will give them a chance if I buy this Schiit.

My other rig is an Onkyo stereo analog amplifier with Polk Audio speakers. Nothing terrific here, but has good performance for the price I paid. It was doing good with my Xonar. But I know that my "good" might be your "poor" for you guys ahaha ! I'm a beginner in this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back