Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 17, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #811 of 6,500
So based on the first post, the OP is underrating the Auralic Vega by placing it 8th while other DACs that cost a whole lot less like Schiit Gungnir and Audio-gd Master 7 are better, right?

Can anyone explain? Or is it the "Bang-for-buck" factor where more money gets you more features?

It's weird, there isn't 1 review that puts the DAC to shame like the OP did.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #813 of 6,500
So based on the first post, the OP is underrating the Auralic Vega by placing it 8th while other DACs that cost a whole lot less like Schiit Gungnir and Audio-gd Master 7 are better, right?

Can anyone explain? Or is it the "Bang-for-buck" factor where more money gets you more features?

It's weird, there isn't 1 review that puts the DAC to shame like the OP did.

Or the OP is not "underrating" or ranking other higher due to value, but they truly like those sounds of the M7 Gungnir better? Both are also highly rated by many headfi regulars and these rankings are all subjective preferences of the group of reviewers which might or might not coincide with ours.

Having said that I find the write-up highly informative with the commentaries and why or why not they like certain aspects of each reviewed unit and is very helpful.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #814 of 6,500
  Hi there,
Let me start by saying that this post is very informative.
I am not an audiophile, but just recently acquired Revel Salon2 speakers and Pass labs X250.8 amplifier. All my music is in AIFF format in Mackbook pro (itunes). I just returned Benchmark DAC2 converter which I found to be very poor in midrange and bass and too shrill in treble.
What will be the best arrangement of components between my macbook pro and amplifier?
- DAC (with and without DSD). Where does Ayre QB-9 DSD stand?
- Preamplifier (can one do without it?)
- Connections (USB to IS2 [OR5]?)
Thx for attending....appreciate it!!

Choosing those components qualifies you as an audiophile. They are designed to be arranged: Mac>Ayre QB-9 DSD>Preamp>X250.8>Salon2’s.

Both the Ayre and X250.8 are designed to be utilized with a preamp, so you have one more component to choose – and it could be the most interesting yet.

You have an opportunity to select a preamp that would also serve as a headphone amp. The Ayre outputs both balanced and unbalanced signals, so a worthy option would be to select a balanced pre/headphone amp. For whatever reason, the difference in balanced headphone sound is more discernable than in a speaker system.

You will want to audition some different headphone topologies i.e. dynamic vs. orthodynamic. Once you identify your preferences then one more piece is in place to assist selecting the pre/headphone amp.

I’m partial to Eddie Current products, the Balancing Act would fit the bill nicely though it doesn’t really require a balanced source (Ayre). If you are sensitive to a lean presentation (DAC2), it may have just the synergy you want with the rest of your system.

There is a wealth of info to consider here on Head-Fi, witness post #813 just above and following yours …I find the write-up highly informative with the commentaries and why or why not they like certain aspects of each reviewed unit and is very helpful.

The poster was commenting on the Auralic Vega dac, one that is frequently compared to your very well regarded Ayre.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #815 of 6,500
so it seems that the Schiit Bifrost Uber gen 2 is the best bang for the buck dac out there?????

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #820 of 6,500
Has anyone heard the Audio GD M7 and the Bryston BDA2 for comparisons? Also maybe someone had heard the Twisted pear buffalo dac3 and the Audio gdm7 side by side? 

I have ruled out getting the following DACs - WFSD2 - NAD M51 - Mytek 192 

So i will choose from the Audio GDM7 - Bryston BDA2 and the new Schiit YGDD if it gets good feedback. 
I have a friend that can build me a Twisted Pear 3 but im not too sure if its in the same league as the others. 

What do you guys think. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #821 of 6,500
  That's over 60% more than the Bifrost.  

Very good math skills, but this method is a bit slower than a calculator.

Yeah, it's more expensive.  Before we can declare a best bang for your buck winner, we need to define what that means.  Is it the cheapest one that sounds passable?  Is it the most well rounded?  What's the point of diminishing returns in dollars?  What's the required % improvement in sound quality and features necessary for something to be worth more (and how much more) than something else?

In my opinion, Gungnir is a better deal than Bifrost.

You can disagree, but you will be absolutely, positively, completively, totalutely wrong.  But that's also my opinion. :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #822 of 6,500
  Has anyone heard the Audio GD M7 and the Bryston BDA2 for comparisons? Also maybe someone had heard the Twisted pear buffalo dac3 and the Audio gdm7 side by side? 

I have ruled out getting the following DACs - WFSD2 - NAD M51 - Mytek 192 

So i will choose from the Audio GDM7 - Bryston BDA2 and the new Schiit YGDD if it gets good feedback. 
I have a friend that can build me a Twisted Pear 3 but im not too sure if its in the same league as the others. 

What do you guys think. 

Why'd you rule out the M51?  Just curious.  I picked one up on Audiogon after selling my PWDII, and I'm honestly starting to wonder if I have any ear for these things at all, because the differences are minor.  I wish I had the time and the funds to have more than one at a time. 

I rank the ones I've tried like this:
1. BMC PureDAC
1. PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II
2. Gungnir (gen 2)
2. M51
3. Yulong DA8
3. Bifrost (Non uber, gen 1)

The differences between the 1s and the 3s is probably about 5%.  The only real standout is the gungnir, which has a definite liveliness that the others don't... I guess I agree with Purrin's assessment that it's very dynamic.  I liked it, but more with the LCDs and Mjolnir than the WA2 and HD 800... of course the one I used with the wa2 was a gen 1, so who knows what that means.

Nothing about my comparisons is scientific, and my results are not particularly revealing.  I didn't have the same amp or headphones for all of them.  I tried the Gungnir with Mjolnir and with a Woo WA2, the BMC on its own, the Yulong with a Mjolnir, Bifrost with Lyr, and PWDII and M51 with Eddie Current S7.  I've gone through 3 LCD2s, an LCDX, a T1, and two HD 800s.  

I'm about settled on getting some speakers and calling it a day. :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #823 of 6,500
I guess I agree with Purrin's assessment that it's very dynamic.

Do you mean it has a high dynamic range, or that it is just louder than the rest? Being louder is actually less dynamic.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #824 of 6,500
  Why'd you rule out the M51?  Just curious.  I picked one up on Audiogon after selling my PWDII, and I'm honestly starting to wonder if I have any ear for these things at all, because the differences are minor.  I wish I had the time and the funds to have more than one at a time. 

I rank the ones I've tried like this:
1. BMC PureDAC
1. PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II
2. Gungnir (gen 2)
2. M51
3. Yulong DA8
3. Bifrost (Non uber, gen 1)

The differences between the 1s and the 3s is probably about 5%.  The only real standout is the gungnir, which has a definite liveliness that the others don't... I guess I agree with Purrin's assessment that it's very dynamic.  I liked it, but more with the LCDs and Mjolnir than the WA2 and HD 800... of course the one I used with the wa2 was a gen 1, so who knows what that means.

Nothing about my comparisons is scientific, and my results are not particularly revealing.  I didn't have the same amp or headphones for all of them.  I tried the Gungnir with Mjolnir and with a Woo WA2, the BMC on its own, the Yulong with a Mjolnir, Bifrost with Lyr, and PWDII and M51 with Eddie Current S7.  I've gone through 3 LCD2s, an LCDX, a T1, and two HD 800s.  

I'm about settled on getting some speakers and calling it a day. :)

I heard the NAD M51 back in November last year. I had about 2 hours with it on my own in a closed off room. I was using NAD - WA2 - HD800/T1. I was comparing it to my Arcam Rdac. 
Now before hand I had anticipated a huge increase in quality when going from the Rdac to the NAD. I know that DAC's are hard to discern the differences between but I thought that only applied to similarly priced DAC's. 

I was under the assumption that the NAD would kick the Arcams ass. What actually happened was, well, nothing really. I could barely hear a difference. I remember at the time being really annoyed and then scared that i had terrible hearing. I just couldn't really tell any difference at all, apart from the NAD being the slightest bit smoother. 

Later on when i thought about it i think my time with the gear could of been tainted because i barely slept the night before. When your tired i have found that everything kind of sounds the same so maybe that was a factor. Also the amp i was using - the WA2 maybe is a tad colored for this task so that also could of come into play. 
The whole experience has kind of ruined the idea of getting the NAD for me, but maybe I am being a little harsh and should give it another go who knows.
My interest has moved onto other DACs for now. 

Maybe i will have the same experience no matter what DAC i get. I remember Purrin saying that it takes a long time to notice the differences - like 100's of hours. So when i do 
Decide on a DAC, be it the Audio GD M7/ BDA2 or Schiit YGDD   (and have it connected to the DNA Stratus instead of the WA2)   hopefully after spending time with it i will notice the differences in detail and nuance. Even if that never happens it is a risk that i am willing to take. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #825 of 6,500

Very good math skills, but this method is a bit slower than a calculator.

Yeah, it's more expensive.  Before we can declare a best bang for your buck winner, we need to define what that means.  Is it the cheapest one that sounds passable?  Is it the most well rounded?  What's the point of diminishing returns in dollars?  What's the required % improvement in sound quality and features necessary for something to be worth more (and how much more) than something else?

In my opinion, Gungnir is a better deal than Bifrost.

You can disagree, but you will be absolutely, positively, completively, totalutely wrong.  But that's also my opinion. :)

Although the Bifrost gets scary close to the the Gungnir in terms of sound quality, the Gungnir is the better deal if you consider there's only a linear increase rather than exponential increase in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back