Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Jan 4, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #181 of 6,500
UPDATES:

• Auralic Vega DAC added.
  • Got rid of classifications and instead ranked the DACs in order of preference.
  • Expected soon: Berkeley Alpha 2, Uber-frost Gen 2, Chord Peach, Luxman DA-06.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #182 of 6,500
This thread is testing different DACs and reaching different conclusions than this one 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #183 of 6,500
  UPDATES:

• Auralic Vega DAC added.
  • Got rid of classifications and instead ranked the DACs in order of preference.
  • Expected soon: Berkeley Alpha 2, Uber-frost Gen 2, Chord Peach, Luxman DA-06.

Good stuff! 
smile.gif

Purrin, did you play with AURALiC filters or EXACT clock mode, both have quite significant impact on outcome.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #184 of 6,500
So why no....?

NAIM DAC V1
Bryston BDA2
Yulong DA8
W4S DAC2 DSD SE

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #185 of 6,500
Jan 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #186 of 6,500
This thread is testing different DACs and reaching different conclusions than this one 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison

I've had the early Gungnir, and have the Nu-PWD (mine sounds great) and Eximus and Purrin and gang are right on. I don't believe the Gungnir sounds that good, my early on made my teeth hurt. I haven't heard a new one however. Gary saying the Gungnir and PWD sounding identical is crazy talk. Something is wrong there, not sure what.

I'd like you guys to review the Contata (hope I spelled that right). The $6,500 1704 one.

Great thread.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #187 of 6,500
I've had the early Gungnir, and have the Nu-PWD (mine sounds great) and Eximus and Purrin and gang are right on. I don't believe the Gungnir sounds that good, my early on made my teeth hurt. I haven't heard a new one however. Gary saying the Gungnir and PWD sounding identical is crazy talk. Something is wrong there, not sure what.

I'd like you guys to review the Contata (hope I spelled that right). The $6,500 1704 one.

Great thread.

He in fact did not say they were identical. That is false.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #189 of 6,500
  Good stuff! 
smile.gif

Purrin, did you play with AURALiC filters or EXACT clock mode, both have quite significant impact on outcome.

Left filters stock. I'll give EXACT clock mode a good try (wasn't sure it would work.) I'll have this DAC in my house for a few days to give it a good run.

Great thread.

The Gungnir isn't in the same league as the decked out AGD/PWD2/Alpha2 and technically in terms of resolution isn't as good as some of the DACs rated below it. I love it because of its tone, liquid quality, and hard hitting nature (which some find unbearable.) Gungir is very different from PWD in its presentation. 

I think it's important to point out that differences with DACs are so small that downstream gear such as amps and headphones will be a limiting factor. For example, if I used an Objective2 and very laid back sounding headphone like the LCD3, I doubt I would be able to distinguish any of the DACs from the others, especially as we go up the list. I don't doubt at all what Gary hears or doesn't hear.

I've heard the Canata briefly on several occasions, but not with setups or recordings I was very familiar with. In general I am positive towards it but I suspect it may lack ultimate resolution.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #191 of 6,500
  Eximus DP1: Beyond Classification. I fully agree.
cool.gif
 ...and it seems I just lost some fascination with the Vega.

-Daniel

I just bought a Vega to try out and the outputs were DOA, both balanced and unbalanced.  I've never had this experience with a new or used purchase (and I've made waaayyy too many!).  I sent it back for a refund and will look at other DACs instead.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #193 of 6,500
  OUCH. I would have freaked out if that happened to me-especially at it's price point. What dac are you going for next then? Hex?

-Daniel

Just got a great deal on a Ayre QB-9 that was listed here just this morning.  It isn't the DSD version, but I can get it upgraded for $500 and, if I don't like it, probably sell it for at least what I put into it.  I think it will pair well with my GS-X mk2 (got the idea from Justin since he has a QB-9).  

As for the Vega, luckily it was new, so the dealer is giving me a full refund.  

- Chris

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #194 of 6,500
  Just got a great deal on a Ayre QB-9 that was listed here just this morning.  It isn't the DSD version, but I can get it upgraded for $500 and, if I don't like it, probably sell it for at least what I put into it.  I think it will pair well with my GS-X mk2 (got the idea from Justin since he has a QB-9).  

As for the Vega, luckily it was new, so the dealer is giving me a full refund.  

- Chris

Good choice! That was a great price for a DAC of that quality. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #195 of 6,500
So why no....?

NAIM DAC V1
Bryston BDA2
Yulong DA8
W4S DAC2 DSD SE

It's whatever I can get my hands on or what friends bring over to my house or ship to me. I don't think any manufacturer in their right mind would ever send anything willingly to me after reading of some of the things I've written. It's just too much of a risk. It's standard practice for manufacturers send stuff to people who will only write praise or who are willing to receive gifts, discounts, etc. The only two manufacturers who have dared send stuff to me without any preconditions are Schiit and JPS Labs, and only at my asking.

Eximus DP1: Beyond Classification. I fully agree.
cool.gif
 ...and it seems I just lost some fascination with the Vega.

-Daniel

Let don't me scare you away because my comments regarding the Vega's "brightness" and "robotic timbre" (think Finn's techno voice in Adventure time after he swallowed a computer). While these are apt descriptions, they are also extreme exaggerations to describe what is difficult to describe. Honestly, I almost placed the Vega in the "Beyond Classification" category, but I decided at end that I would have liked it enough to actually use it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back