Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Sep 17, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,471 of 6,500
Yes. Gungnir hits hard. One of the hardest hitting DACs in terms of lack of compression on the top scale of amplitude. Gungnir does not allow me to sleep. That can either be a good thing or bad thing.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,473 of 6,500
Yes. Gungnir hits hard. One of the hardest hitting DACs in terms of lack of compression on the top scale of amplitude. Gungnir does not allow me to sleep. That can either be a good thing or bad thing.

Eeek - I should think this through properly then. Chances are low but will put some effort to see if I might be able to audition the Gungnir.
Thanks for the feedback, purrin. :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,475 of 6,500
Eeek - I should think this through properly then. Chances are low but will put some effort to see if I might be able to audition the Gungnir.
Thanks for the feedback, purrin.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, don't let my comment on the Gungnir dynamics scare you away. I've never fallen asleep at a RL concert or musical performance of any sort. So to me, the Gungnir is accurate in that sense.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #1,476 of 6,500

Many times I have relaxed in the easy chair listening to Al Marconi on the LCD3c and the music completely carried me away into dreamland. If the music is relaxing that is what I hear. If the music is rock or metal it definitely is super energetic which I love. I regularly listen to meditation recordings and end up falling asleep every single time. Vocals just beautiful as well. Highly recommend the Gungnir. YMMV of course...

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,477 of 6,500
Many times I have relaxed in the easy chair listening to Al Marconi on the LCD3c and the music completely carried me away into dreamland. If the music is relaxing that is what I hear. If the music is rock or metal it definitely is super energetic which I love. I regularly listen to meditation recordings and end up falling asleep every single time. Vocals just beautiful as well. Highly recommend the Gungnir. YMMV of course...

LOL, don't let my comment on the Gungnir dynamics scare you away. I've never fallen asleep at a RL concert or musical performance of any sort. So to me, the Gungnir is accurate in that sense.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, much appreciated. Know that your feedback will help someone live his daily life better.
I will give the Gungnir serious thoughts then - Might be hard to get someone to allow me to audition the Gungnir while I am on my bed (lol), but I will give it a shot. :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,478 of 6,500
Thanks for the reassurance guys, much appreciated. Know that your feedback will help someone live his daily life better.
I will give the Gungnir serious thoughts then - Might be hard to get someone to allow me to audition the Gungnir while I am on my bed (lol), but I will give it a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that you are assured, let me cause some doubt :) The Gungnir can be aggressive sounding with maybe too much bite and harshness when used with certain bright headphones like the HD800. I don't use HD800 that often, and when I use the HD800, I use the Anax mods, so it's not an issue for me. I rather like to hear the bite, crunch, and harshness of certain instruments, so long as there are not artifacts added to it. The Gungnir is definitely a rock arena type of DAC. Doesn't mean it can't be used for classical either; it's not the most detailed DAC out there, but it's in my top five in terms of vocal rendition.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,479 of 6,500

Now that you are assured, let me cause some doubt :) The Gungnir can be aggressive sounding with maybe too much bite and harshness when used with certain bright headphones like the HD800. I don't use HD800 that often, and when I use the HD800, I use the Anax mods, so it's not an issue for me. I rather like to hear the bite, crunch, and harshness of certain instruments, so long as there are not artifacts added to it. The Gungnir is definitely a rock arena type of DAC. Doesn't mean it can't be used for classical either; it's not the most detailed DAC out there, but it's in my top five in terms of vocal rendition.

I use the Gungnir with the Vali as my "HD 800 setup". That too in stock mode. IMO, I don't find it overly bright. Maybe its the definition of bright I suppose?
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,480 of 6,500

Pfftt oh purrin you. :p

But in all seriousness, I can't thank you enough. Can see where you are coming from. No worries, your impression (as well as the rest, thanks guys) will help me set benchmarks and know what to look for when I come across the Gungnir and Lavry DA11, won't buy blind. :)
I will be using my HE-560 with pre-production pads (on the Violectric V200 - which I know you find dynamically compressed, purrin)

Well, failing that, there's always the Audio GD Master 7 and a very upset wallet..... Heh.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,481 of 6,500

Forgive me if this has been stated already (probably has) - When using USB, adding Wyrd (with Gungnir) does help a bit with perceived detail IMO. I'm able to make out fine details in certain recordings with far greater ease with Wyrd. I didn't realize there was some amount of USB induced micro-detail smearing going on until I added Wyrd in to the chain. Everything sounds a bit more resolved. If one is going to be using USB, I'd highly recommend buying Gungnir/Wyrd together. Obviously it isn't actually making Gungnir more detailed per say, but rather cleaning up & reclocking the source. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,482 of 6,500
Pfftt oh purrin you. :p

But in all seriousness, I can't thank you enough. Can see where you are coming from. No worries, your impression (as well as the rest, thanks guys) will help me set benchmarks and know what to look for when I come across the Gungnir and Lavry DA11, won't buy blind.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will be using my HE-560 with pre-production pads (on the Violectric V200 - which I know you find dynamically compressed, purrin)

Well, failing that, there's always the Audio GD Master 7 and a very upset wallet..... Heh.

If you can, consider the X-sabre. It has a more "softer" sound, yet still neutral, detailed and musical. Love mine :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,485 of 6,500
How does it sound with your GS-X2? Still happy or thinking of a upgrade?

Btw, I have the wyrd on it's way. Can report if I gain anything from adding it in front of the x-sabre.

Down the food chain a bit, but the Wyrd is a great addition to the Bifrost and Modi, improving the noise floor, allowing the music to rise out of a deep black background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back