Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #5,402 of 6,500
Cosmetic surgery for Dacs...expensive, tries to mislead and doesn't fool anybody but fools.

May 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,403 of 6,500
May 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5,404 of 6,500
They should name it HAL instead of Dave 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,406 of 6,500
Valuable information. Might be good to put this in the Yggdrasil impressions thread?

e: to add link

With the Yggy, I'm actually hearing hiss and such that I have not heard before. Turns out, it's in the original recordings! I found that some tracks are hiss-free (The Flaming Lips) and others have lots of hiss (Miles Davis, The White Stripes). The Yggy has a low enough noise floor for me that I can plainly hear the differences and the silences.

May 14, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5,409 of 6,500

You could always find an older AGD Ref 7, a Sonic Frontiers SFD/SFCD (from PCX with warranty) or TransDAC.

So, for someone who is looking to upgrade from agd ref7, by keeping the tone and timbre of ref7, but would like to get a bit more of attack, liquidity, transparency and deeper bass, will yggy a safer bet? I don't mind a leaner body. 

Thanks in advance.

May 14, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #5,410 of 6,500
Left my Master 7 playing music for 12hours non-stop. Came back home and was suprised by the improvement in sound quality. Much more spacious, more dynamic(Especially the deep low end bass) and more clarity.

Looks like it's not just YGG that needs to be power on all the time. :wink:

May 14, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #5,411 of 6,500
  Left my Master 7 playing music for 12hours non-stop. Came back home and was suprised by the improvement in sound quality. Much more spacious, more dynamic(Especially the deep low end bass) and more clarity.

Looks like it's not just YGG that needs to be power on all the time. :wink:

I went through the same thing,when I was testing the Theta basicIII dac,a couple of weeks ago..
When I first got it...I was very,very happy with the SQ,would turn it on/off all the time,then I decided to keep it on ..all the time,that lasted 3-4 weeks,and when I went back each time,I could swear it sounded better.
Finally I had my wife start to listen..after about 10 days ,she agreed with me.
Now,with whatever dac,I'll be using...I just leave it on.24/7
My yiggy delivery was just pushed back till mid-July,,when it comes in,,I'll be back with more impressions

May 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #5,412 of 6,500

You could always find an older AGD Ref 7, a Sonic Frontiers SFD/SFCD (from PCX with warranty) or TransDAC.

Originally Posted by jsgraha /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, for someone who is looking to upgrade from agd ref7, by keeping the tone and timbre of ref7, but would like to get a bit more of attack, liquidity, transparency and deeper bass, will yggy a safer bet? I don't mind a leaner body. 

Thanks in advance.

Probably not. Sounds like TotalDAC dual or TotalDAC twelve or MSB Super Mega Pricey Edition might be what you are after. The other possibility is to stick caps in the signal path after the Yggy output. Or tap into Yggy boards and build a tube buffer coupled with a cap. The last option would void your warranty by 1000% of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back