Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #5,073 of 6,500
The M1 is a very, very good (Technical) DAC.  Meaning the excels in every technicality there is.  

For me it's all about enjoying the music.  I just couldn't really enjoy the (rig) the M1 was in.  If I was to build a rig around it - I think it would be fabulous.  Pairing it up with a BA or a Stratus for instance, or maybe even the 300b Electra.  The M1 and the 4-45 would be a double no go for me..

The Yggdrasil is at home with me.  I'm enjoying the music. 

May 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #5,074 of 6,500

Moffat wore a shirt to CanJam Los Angeles. The shirt had delta-sigma symbol with "when music doesn't matter". He wore this shirt openly during a presentation and someone in the audience asked about it. 

Sorry, but this is not your decision to make. Schiit knew about this thread before they let me know about the Yggy. Schiit came to one of my mini-meets and brought the DAC. I asked for permission to talk about it.

If you feel this does not give the company a positive picture, do not buy the DAC. I have refused to buy products of companies that I did not like, even though their products were good.

I work for a company that competes somewhat against Schiit, particularly for headphone amps in the middle to high range from $800 and up. If you feel I am a misleading person, do not read what I have to say and unsubscribe to this thread.

I don't care how you buy your products. I really don't.

There are two other threads of opinions on Yggy on HF. You can easily go there.

The company has positive picture but your response to other headfiers' with this ''false'' manner will ruin it , good news that you are not working with them .
I want to ask you ( please answer with honestly ): ''what if '' I said, what if schiit mistakenly release another dac around 4000$ and sound very horrible, sound worst than your worst dac you put in your shiny list , will you still defend and hype this product or not ?

May 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,075 of 6,500

The company has positive picture but your response to other headfiers' with this ''false'' manner will ruin it , good news that you are not working with them .
I want to ask you ( please answer with honestly ): ''what if '' I said, what if schiit mistakenly release another dac around 4000$ and sound very horrible, sound worst than your worst dac you put in your shiny list , will you still defend and hype this product or not ?

Clearly, Purrin would not defend it. If you actually have read through this thread, and instead of making false assumptions, you would know that Purrin hates the original Lyr amp, and didn't care much for the original Modi (without wyrd). Yes, he loves a lot of Schiit products, but he would never hype a product that isn't worthy of his ears.

May 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #5,076 of 6,500
  Clearly, Purrin would not defend it. If you actually have read through this thread, and instead of making false assumptions, you would know that Purrin hates the original Lyr amp, and didn't care much for the original Modi (without wyrd). Yes, he loves a lot of Schiit products, but he would never hype a product that isn't worthy of his ears.

"Yup, I'd probably say What is this POS?" to Jason / Mike (Trust me, I have. If you look around, you can dig up negative or lukewarm impressions of Magni, Modi, Rag (proto @ Bay Area meet), Mjolnir (proto @Village meet), Asgard, Lyr, Valhalla 1, Bifrost 1, etc. I can't say much on Schiit stuff now because according to HF rules, I can't say anything that might possibly be construed as giving EC a competitive advantage, but the history is still there.

May 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5,077 of 6,500
  The M1 is a very, very good (Technical) DAC.  Meaning the excels in every technicality there is.  

For me it's all about enjoying the music.  I just couldn't really enjoy the (rig) the M1 was in.  If I was to build a rig around it - I think it would be fabulous.  Pairing it up with a BA or a Stratus for instance, or maybe even the 300b Electra.  The M1 and the 4-45 would be a double no go for me..

The Yggdrasil is at home with me.  I'm enjoying the music. 

Haha. Thanks. In a nutshell, that's exactly how I feel about the M1.

May 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #5,078 of 6,500

let's just calm down ,we want to make everything clear so what did you mean that ranking system doesn't matter if so I can agree with that .

Rankings are my own based on my own preferences. Your rankings may be different. I believe I said something to that effect in the first post. Maybe I didn't.

@purrin

Linear phase is less glary than Minimum Phase??? Oh men. You lost credibility on me there, sorry. You just confirmed my theory.

And I'm not talking about Minimum Phase digital filter, which still has post-ringing as you said, and which traded pre-ringing for timing phase distortion. Let us take my fave the Audiolab--it has Optimal Transient filters (3 of them) that has no pre and post-ringing at all. The most analogue-sounding digital filters I've heard. No glare at all, with very present and defined bass to sub-bass, especially on 3-way speakers.

I'm actually amazed that you didn't even account for what digital filters are used by each of the D-S and the like that you reviewed.

All DACs that sound the same--glary? It's because they're listening to the same digital filter. Period. All other factors mentioned here would be TOTALLY naught if you use the Standard/Linear Phase digital filter because of both ore and post-ringing.

If I'm to buy the Yggy or any other with R2R archi, I'll be buying the digital filter or no -digital filter or NOS or passive filter used, not the expensive R2R DAC chip.

I have heard DACs with minimum phase and linear phase filters. Some D-S DACs I have owned or borrowed for extended periods offered several filters. PWD2, Gamma2, Vega, LH, etc. (too many to recall.) In these cases, I've almost always preferred the linear phase filter. Smoother to my ears; however I still wouldn't say analog sounding or particularly smooth compared to R2R. The other ninjas in the evaluations preferred other filters. I'd say the filters are more a matter of "different" than better or analog.

Using your logic, the smoother "analog" sounding R2R DACs of yesteryear and Yggy would sound very digital because they have linear filter characteristics with both pre and post ringing. BTW, if you didn't know, most of the R2R DACs of yesterday also used cheap pre-canned filters. 

Finally, the Audiolab DAC Optimal Transient filters do have pre and post ringing. So there goes your theory. I'd be happy to provide measurements for you if you don't believe me. Don't get bamboozled by their marketing literature. It's impossible to not have any kind of ringing with filters.

Sorry to say it, but you don't know what you are talking about.

To furthur purrin's topic on Audiolab filters, check out this article:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/642-audiolab-q-dac-filters-.html?start=1

May 9, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #5,079 of 6,500
funny guy, I would like to meet you and see how your face looks like. I'm sure you looks good and gentlemen while here you are doing your job as a guardian .
I'm starting to feel  yggy is a dac that design for loudspeakers ? am I right ? what kind of loudspeakers you have ?

May 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #5,081 of 6,500
I think he's ok...it's just that English isn't his first language...he don't talk good English like we do! 
wink_face.gif

May 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #5,084 of 6,500
Rankings are my own based on my own preferences. Your rankings may be different. I believe I said something to that effect in the first post. Maybe I didn't.

I have heard DACs with minimum phase and linear phase filters. Some D-S DACs I have owned or borrowed for extended periods offered several filters. PWD2, Gamma2, Vega, LH, etc. (too many to recall.) In these cases, I've almost always preferred the linear phase filter. Smoother to my ears; however I still wouldn't say analog sounding or particularly smooth compared to R2R. The other ninjas in the evaluations preferred other filters. I'd say the filters are more a matter of "different" than better or analog.

Using your logic, the smoother "analog" sounding R2R DACs of yesteryear and Yggy would sound very digital because they have linear filter characteristics with both pre and post ringing. BTW, if you didn't know, most of the R2R DACs of yesterday also used cheap pre-canned filters. 

Finally, the Audiolab DAC Optimal Transient filters do have pre and post ringing. So there goes your theory. I'd be happy to provide measurements for you if you don't believe me. Don't get bamboozled by their marketing literature. It's impossible to not have any kind of ringing with filters.

Sorry to say it, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Sabre 9018 32-bit reproduces much more detail than the R2Rs, so it would sound glary with Standard Linear Phase filter with pre and post-ringing. With R2Rs, it wouldn't...assuming all other things are equal.

Are you comparing Standard Linear Phase filter vs. Min. Phase on SAME DAC unit implementation?

I'm referring to Audiolab's Optimal Transient/XD/DD Filters which has no ore and post ringing, not the Optimal Spectrum. I'll be happy to see evidence that they have pre and post ringings.

Yeah, you know what you're talking about, so we consumers that know nothing technical should just shut up and be blind bats to what you guys are advertising?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back