Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 8, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #3,796 of 6,500
  If computers are such a temperamental source, maybe a portable dap would be better?  Processing the music is the only thing it does.

This is why I'm now testing the SoTM sMS-100, powered by a regulated linear PSU.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/585-sotm-sms-100-mini-server-review/

Early indications are no different, but I need an extended critical listening session to verify.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #3,797 of 6,500
  If computers are such a temperamental source, maybe a portable dap would be better?  Processing the music is the only thing it does.

The guys over at Computer Audiophile seem to have tried every solution under the sun and the only consensus I've seen is that ethernet trumps USB but my own experiments with DLNA were dismal failures - the control point software continually lost the plot and I gave up. Companies like Linn and Naim have reportedly sorted those issues but the price of their solutions is eye-watering. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,798 of 6,500
  Check to see if your computer is generating page faults / using the swap file. This happens when the RAM is full and drive space for additional storage and access is needed. This could have some kind of negative effect in the chain, if the drive is magnetic.

Easy to find on a Mac by loading up Activity Monitor, clicking the Memory tab and viewing the bottom left item: Swap Used. It should read 0 byes.

If only windows were so well behaved, it uses the page file all the time even when it you have loads of ram sitting empty....piece of garbage OS

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,799 of 6,500

The guys over at Computer Audiophile seem to have tried every solution under the sun and the only consensus I've seen is that ethernet trumps USB but my own experiments with DLNA were dismal failures - the control point software continually lost the plot and I gave up. Companies like Linn and Naim have reportedly sorted those issues but the price of their solutions is eye-watering. 

The SMS100 worked flawlessly - both Airplay (Tidal) and JRiver (MDP / DLNA) within minutes of install. Very impressive in terms of ease of use.

The only thing I couldn't get working with it was HQPlayer, although I spent no time attempting to fix that since it doesn't support m4a, which a lot of my older redbook stuff is encoded with.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,800 of 6,500

If only windows were so well behaved, it uses the page file all the time even when it you have loads of ram sitting empty....piece of garbage OS

Indeed. Why anyone would use Windows for a music server is beyond me. It's quite literally the worst choice.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #3,801 of 6,500
For me, I run window server 2012 r2 in server core mode (and disable all unnecessary services). The reason I choose this OS since my player of choice, jplay, run its best at this os. I haven't try other os, but someone whom I know had tried other setup, including mac mini 2009 setup, and prefer this same setup as mine. I might try other os and system, if I had a spare time (which might be unlikely in the next few months). But I do welcome other input. I still would like to improve my setup if I had a chance.

So far, I'm quite happy with this setup. A few days back, I tried a fresh install of foobar portable 1.3.8 (and disable & delete all its unnecessary components & themes) and still found my preference lie on current setup. It offer the music flow analog and liquid alike, while maintain its black background, good imaging and great texture. Soundstage is the same.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,802 of 6,500
I'm having hard drive errors with my PC I think from clearing out registry errors more than a few times. My PC stalls and the red light on my case turns on and after 30 seconds to a minute my PC resumes function. I just need to reinstall windows for the 2nd time in 6 months. Such a POS and this is windows 7 too not windows 8

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #3,803 of 6,500

Indeed. Why anyone would use Windows for a music server is beyond me. It's quite literally the worst choice.

Chris Connaker rang - apparently he wants a word with you outside  
biggrin.gif

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/609-computer-audiophile-pocket-server-c-p-s-v4-introduction/

CAPS v4 Software

All four CAPS servers will run Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit and JRiver Media Center v20. At this point in time Windows 8.1 is the only stable game in town that's compatible with any number of applications and audio components. I'm excited to see what members of the CA Community will do when they install Linux, but for now my four main designs are Windows based. I selected JRiver Media Center v20 because it's very stable, has great support, is widely used in the CA Community, and is capable of great sound quality for all PCM and DSD sample rates as well as multi-channel audio. There are other applications available that I consider a bit more fringe at this moment in time. I'll leave it to the CA Community to use and tweak those applications and share results with everyone. As a formula and platform I believe Windows 8.1 Professional and JRiver Media Center v20 is the best combination.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,804 of 6,500

Its only the worst choice if you dont know everything you need to do to get it running. Just like Linux is the worst choice if you have never used it before and no idea how to install dependant libraries. I have tried most of them (windows 8.1, linux, apple) in my system. The end result sound quality wise was the same.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #3,805 of 6,500

I'm no Microsoft appologist by any stretch, as i just had to reinstall Windows 8.1 on my family pc because of a windows update error,but just because Windows is writing to and reading the pagefile does not mean it is using it as a ram susbtitute at that moment.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,806 of 6,500
For me, I run window server 2012 r2 in server core mode (and disable all unnecessary services). The reason I choose this OS since my player of choice, jplay, run its best at this os. I haven't try other os, but someone whom I know had tried other setup, including mac mini 2009 setup, and prefer this same setup as mine. I might try other os and system, if I had a spare time (which might be unlikely in the next few months). But I do welcome other input. I still would like to improve my setup if I had a chance.

So far, I'm quite happy with this setup. A few days back, I tried a fresh install of foobar portable 1.3.8 (and disable & delete all its unnecessary components & themes) and still found my preference lie on current setup. It offer the music flow analog and liquid alike, while maintain its black background, good imaging and great texture. Soundstage is the same.

I'm amazed that people are spending a minimum of $700 for a Server OS that has no real benefits. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,808 of 6,500
I'm amazed that people are spending a minimum of $700 for a Server OS that has no real benefits. 

I use the evaluation version which have 180 days. So I need to reinstall every 6 months, which about 10 minutes to do.

You may try it here
http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/6/2/A/62A76ABB-9990-4EFC-A4FE-C7D698DAEB96/9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

I found an improvement over windows 7 or 8, but only using it to play music. Nothing else

The thread can be found on my local forum

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/60130-audiophile-optimizer/

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,809 of 6,500
I use the evaluation version which have 180 days. So I need to reinstall every 6 months, which about 10 minutes to do.

You may try it here
http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/6/2/A/62A76ABB-9990-4EFC-A4FE-C7D698DAEB96/9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

I found an improvement over windows 7 or 8, but only using it to play music. Nothing else

There is no possible reason for Server to improve music playback over the desktop OS.  And you could accomplish the same thing in Win 7 or 8 by disabling services and setting Priority and Processor Affinity for your playback software.

A modern computer running little more than software to play music isn't working hard enough to have any impact.  That's simple enough to prove via Resource Management reporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back