Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 28, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #3,331 of 6,500
  It takes some time for the brain to adjust to new sound signature and be able to process it. The breakin/burnin time really depends on how plastic your brain is.

If you look at some highly rated musical speakers for example, they don't measure well at all, but they provide more information for the brain to convert into pleasure.

You know we are talking about DACs that we have own for some time (not new) and the reason they can sounds inferior after they have been off for a while and then power on again, do you?

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,333 of 6,500
If you dont know it and noone actually saw it or came up with an at least remotely reasonable explanation, then it's an unicorn... pretty much by definition. At least it is for me.
It may actually exist or it may not ... but I dont have the time or desire to care.

Mike could very easily have set something up at CANJAM assuming he had sufficient access to the Schiit room well in advance. Three Yggys, labelled A, B and C. One powered on for at least 48 hours, one just 8 hours before they let the mob through the doors (by my calculations, that will be happening as I type this) and one that he only powers on when prot or another skeptic asks to hear the DAC. Each audition would be accompanied by a tablet with columns for 'Date', 'Time', 'Attendee ID' and 'Rating', assuming CANJAM allocates some form of ID to every paying attendee. 

The kicker is that the skeptics wont be able to hear 'DAC A' until the end of the meet, when they will be able to go back to a simple graph illustrating their opinion of the 'on-again, off-again' Yggy. If purrin is right, there should be some red faces and Mike's wont be one of them - of course, all three Yggys would have roughly the same number of hours on them. Alternatively, Schiit could simply update their FAQ and explicitly state that they believe that leaving gear turned on is advisable for those wanting to get the best from their DACs. My guess is that any Yggy at CANJAM will be in such heavy demand that reserving one simply for the skeptics would evoke howls of protest from those who are prepared to accept that some gear needs to be left on to sound its best. Will certainly make for some very interesting CANJAM impressions assuming Mike didnt have access to the room 48 hours ago   :wink:

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,335 of 6,500

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,336 of 6,500
In 2018, the same Yggy might not need that warmup. My 20 year old Gen V can now be transported and switched on without issue even though the manual says leave it on for four days. I also noted over time that my Mjolnir required less warm up time.

The gear that required the least warm up... Tube amps. 15 minutes and we are good.

I was going to say it I would struggle to tell differences at all, after let's say the first 1-2 hours on either of my Theta. For the first few minutes until it gets a bit warm it is perhaps a bit more analytical and less refined.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3,337 of 6,500
I am really looking forward the launch of the replacement of the CHORD QBD 76 HDSD: The CHORD QBD168 that will be launched at the Munich Show.

--> Anybody has preliminary infos already ? 

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #3,338 of 6,500
Mike could very easily have set something up at CANJAM assuming he had sufficient access to the Schiit room well in advance. Three Yggys, labelled A, B and C. One powered on for at least 48 hours, one just 8 hours before they let the mob through the doors (by my calculations, that will be happening as I type this) and one that he only powers on when prot or another skeptic asks to hear the DAC. Each audition would be accompanied by a tablet with columns for 'Date', 'Time', 'Attendee ID' and 'Rating', assuming CANJAM allocates some form of ID to every paying attendee. 

The kicker is that the skeptics wont be able to hear 'DAC A' until the end of the meet, when they will be able to go back to a simple graph illustrating their opinion of the 'on-again, off-again' Yggy. If purrin is right, there should be some red faces and Mike's wont be one of them - of course, all three Yggys would have roughly the same number of hours on them. Alternatively, Schiit could simply update their FAQ and explicitly state that they believe that leaving gear turned on is advisable for those wanting to get the best from their DACs. My guess is that any Yggy at CANJAM will be in such heavy demand that reserving one simply for the skeptics would evoke howls of protest from those who are prepared to accept that some gear needs to be left on to sound its best. Will certainly make for some very interesting CANJAM impressions assuming Mike didnt have access to the room 48 hours ago   :wink:

Dream on...

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #3,339 of 6,500
  OK. Just another 40 lbs. I guess we can put up a small Moffat DAC history museum at Canjam.

BTW I am bringing a spinner - Theta Basic III. Not dealing with computer audio at this meet, so burn CDs of your reference / favorite tracks. I may be reverting to spinners because my wife can't handle audio playback software on either PCs or macs. CDs make everything easier for older people like us.

On Yggy warmup:

• When cold, there's a steely / kettle drum timbre in the treble. It's also a bit lean and closed-in. The first two-four hours sucks. It sounds resolving and analytical.
  • After four to eight hours, it's a little bit better. Yggy is now listenable. The treble timbre gets more normal. The stage open ups a bit. A very resolving DAC with excellent technicalities all around.
  • After 24-48 hours, this is when the magic starts to happen. When you start to get fooled into thinking you are hearing the real thing at times.
  • After four-seven days, the Yggy stabilizes - where the last vestiges of any kind of artificiality disappear.

Ruh-roh ...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/758649/canjam-socal-2015-impressions-thread/45#post_11455110

Per my post in that thread, perhaps today's CANJAM attendees have a better chance of hearing Yggy at it's best. The irony of a Head-Fier hearing both Yggy and the (portable) Hugo for the first time (the TT is the same DAC FWIW) and preferring the Hugo isnt lost on me, but I'm happy to wait for a few more impressions, albeit in the less than ideal conditions of a meet. So far, most of the raves seem to be around Mr Speakers ETHER and the HE-1000 : hopefully someone will plug one or both into a Yggy/Rag combo on Day 2 and give us some feedback. Really sorry for all our wallets  :D

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #3,340 of 6,500

The irony of a Head-Fier hearing both Yggy and the (portable) Hugo for the first time (the TT is the same DAC FWIW) and preferring the Hugo isnt lost on me, 

it's completely lost on me.
one head-fier "preferring" anything is an insignificant sample size, especially with new (Ether) headphones which are unfamiliar to the listener initially as well.

more trust is placed in folks who have had a Yggy in their environment, with familiar headphones, for days/weeks on end.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #3,341 of 6,500
Yeah, it would seem that something which would immediately jump at you could possibly be tiresome in the long term. I would feel more comfortable placing value into impressions that have had a chance to digest the full scale and subtleties of the DAC and by means of extended comparisons with other DACs. To his credit, he did indicate that meet conditions could be to blame for his initial lukewarm impression of the Yggy.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #3,342 of 6,500

it's completely lost on me.
one head-fier "preferring" anything is an insignificant sample size, especially with new (Ether) headphones which are unfamiliar to the listener initially as well.

more trust is placed in folks who have had a Yggy in their environment, with familiar headphones, for days/weeks on end.

No argument from me - I was referring to the earlier discussion around prot's complete rejection of the 'unicorn' of alleged warm-up times for the Yggy and the apparent need to keep it on 24/7 - the Hugo reference was merely an observation. As for the other comment re a component being 'tiresome' if it leaps out at you at a meet, all I can suggest is that some here need a bit more exposure to the component in question before making that call, as it absolutely has not been my experience. The SABRE DACs in my BDP-105D and the B-B DSD1792A in my Marantz can definitely grate on me when I'm tired, but to date that hasn't been my experience with the Hugo. In any case, your point is valid - let's hope for more impressions from day two very soon. 

As for my comment re plugging the Ether into Yggy, I'm not sure that's what actually happened but the Head-Fier in question did leave us with some nice images of the gear he enjoyed:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/758649/canjam-socal-2015-impressions-thread/15#post_11454515

Again, meet impressions surrounded by new gear and a crowd of enthusiastic Head-Fiers arent going to be the same as a report from someone who has spent weeks with a given component in their own system - that said, I'm still very eager to hear impressions from currawong. Right now, Amos is undoubtedly catching some Zs in preparation for another big day in his element - color me green  :D

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #3,343 of 6,500
So in the end I was bummed that I never managed to demonstrate my Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A. I brought it and everything but no one set up any sources in the executive board lounge upstairs and I didn't have any of my own. I was too busy at the end of the day trying to search for all the things I wanted to hear and get all the signatures for my stamp card which I did with ease.

I came back home and fired up the Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A and am listening to it with the Asgard 2 and they are both single ended. A true match made in heaven. For the next members Head-fi meet I will be delighted to demonstrate this analog truth teller. It is like a single ended Yggy in the way it images, totally Mike. Thanks Mike
smily_headphones1.gif
good job today on your seminar!!! you were a crack up and everyone had a good time
beyersmile.png

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #3,344 of 6,500
I have been dealing with subjective impressions of cold vs. warmed up D to A converters I have designed for over 30 years.  Where there are many opinions, here are some laws of the engineering physical universe:

In the case of brand new passive components, reliability increases an order of magnitude in each successive 24 hours of burn-in.  In the 1980’s, with through-hole parts, approximately .5% of such parts failed randomly in the first 24 hours.  Today, with surface mount parts, the first 24 hours result in a much lower .01 to .05%.  This is precisely why I burned Theta Gear in for 100 hours back in the 80’s and will burn the Yggys in for 24-48 hours today.

As they burn-in and reach operating temperature, resistors mechanically deform from new and their ohmic value changes.  Typically parts per 100,000.

All resistors have voltage coefficients – this means they change their ohmic value as the voltage across them changes.  In the highest-grade thin film resistors, it is typically 0.005%.  That is 5 parts per 100,000.

All signal capacitors have some percentage of the signal passing through them randomly being absorbed.  This varies from parts per 100 (electrolytic caps) to parts per 100,000 (Teflon).  You guessed it – this varies with temperature.

The DAC in the Yggy is 20 bit -1 part per million considering a 1 lsb linearity error and the fact that there are 2 per channel. 

Now based upon some half assed experiments I have run on myself, I figure my hearing is good to somewhere in the 1 part per 10,000 to 1 part in 100,000, according to the parameter. 

But I am positive that if I can only estimate the quantitative accuracy of my own hearing that I have a very poor idea of what anyone else can hear. 

It seems there are a couple of swingin’ dix on this thread who have decided what others can hear.  You may well have more meaning and friends in life if you just keep your arrogance to yourself.

Stuff warms up – what is trivial sonically to some matters to others.  Nothing is broken because it performance varies within the above parameters over time.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #3,345 of 6,500
Mike, I have absolutely no problem with any of that and you've already stated your views on leaving sources on 24/7 - the head swinger appears to be taking his meds at the moment, but I expect that he'll be along to give us the benefit of his undeniable expertise in the fields of electronics and metallurgy. And unicorns, of course. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back