Thoughts/discussion on The Headphone Show & other audio-related livestreams
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #151 of 272
Here's what the 2018 Harman target looks like compensated with Oratory's pre-2021 DF curve, and with his new 2021 DF curve...

2018 Harman Target with pre-2021 Diffuse Field Compensation:

2018 Harman Target with 2021 Diffuse Field Compensation:

I personally would not use either of the the above curves as my target diffuse field headphone response curve, btw, because...

1) The upper treble/higher frequencies are probably still a bit too depressed relative to some other parts of the curve.

2) There are still some important details, such as the concha-related notches at around 9.5 and 15 kHz that show up fairly consistently in Ora's headphone measurements, which are missing from the Harman target's treble response.

3) There are still some other details in the midrange and upper bass that don't look totally correct, including the fairly pronounced dip at 200 Hz in the upper bass/lower mids, and also the position (and possibly depth) of the dip in the upper mids at around 2.5 to 2.75 kHz.

Imo, the upper midrange dip should be somewhat lower in frequency. And probably centered more in the 2.0 to 2.5 kHz range to conform better with the cross-over frequencies of loudspeakers, and the actual plots of various headphones. And its depth might also need to be a bit lower to reduce some of the harshness in recordings made on speakers with a more pronounced dip in that cross-over range.

Imo, neutral headphones with the above corrections or characteristics, and also a diffuse field response that roughly approximates the sound power of loudspeakers with a flat direct response, would probably make a better and more accurate target for a neutral headphone's response than either of the above DF plots of the Harman curve. And hopefully I'll have a few new graphs to better illustrate this soon.

I think you can already get some ideas on this though from the DF plots of some of the headphones already posted here. (Which is why I posted them.) And also some of the sound power plots of loudspeakers posted earlier. Some of the loudspeakers I'm using for my newer plots have a more pronounced dip in their sound power response at the ~2 to 2.5 kHz cross-over though.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #152 of 272
The Harman curve isn’t intended to replicate the sound of speakers in a room. That is impossible with headphones. The Harman curve is an average of people’s preference for how headphones should ideally sound.

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #153 of 272
Welcome back to the discussion, bigshot.

The Harman curve isn’t intended to replicate the sound of speakers in a room. That is impossible with headphones.

The Harman curve is just a frequency response curve. Which cannot, on its own, accurately represent all of the complexities of sound in a room. This is, in fact, one of the principal points that Floyd Toole seemed to be trying to make in his video presentation on Sound reproduction – art and science/opinions and facts, posted earlier in this topic.

It seems fairly clear though from both Dr. Olive and Omid Khonsaripour's comments in the following video that one of their intentions for the Harman headphone target, and their products based on it, was to reduce the "circle of confusion", to "not introduce coloration", and to match at least the frequency response of a neutral loudspeaker in a room, which is really all I've been talking about here.

You may choose to disagree with this though.

They also claim that headphones like the AKG K371, which are tuned to their target response curve, will have a "neutral and accurate" sound or response for most listeners.

To save some time, I've cued the video to ~4:15 where they begin to discuss both of the above issues in some depth. The above video was posted on the AKG Acoustics YouTube channel, btw. Who are the mfrs of the AKG K371.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #154 of 272
On a small sidenote, the above video also appears to be the source of the Harman quotes sited by Jude at ~3:15 in this video.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #155 of 272
If they intended it to sound like speakers in a room, they would have calibrated it to measurements of speakers in a room, not poll people about their listening preference and averaging that into a curve. You keep repeating that Harman is intended to replicate the sound of speakers in a room and you know it's false.

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #156 of 272
If they intended it to sound like speakers in a room, they would have calibrated it to measurements of speakers in a room, not poll people about their listening preference and averaging that into a curve. You keep repeating that Harman is intended to replicate the sound of speakers in a room and you know it's false.

I can see that you are attempting to pin me down on a subject which is probably a little more nuanced than what you're making out. :) Instead of repeatedly attacking me on this subject though, why not listen to what some of the folks from Harman have to say on the subject in the above videos, and then give some your impressions on that?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #157 of 272
On a small sidenote, the above video also appears to be the source of the Harman quotes sited by Jude at ~3:15 in this video.

An interesting complementary post in regards to Jude's observations on "neutral" : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ments-harman-target-talk.957709/post-16346549

"Compared to the AKG K371 (which is one of the closest matches to the Harman AE/OE Target), I find the AirPods Max to have more neutral sounding midband and treble. I understand some will agree and some will disagree, but that's part of the point I was making in the video."

As far as I'm concerned, as I own both of them, I second Jude's opinion, for reasons that can be plainly explained by how they respectively measure on my own head :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k361-k371.916764/post-16443548

Both the K371 and APM show a lot of variation past 1kHz or so across various test rigs / methodologies / operators so it's difficult to know exactly what they were going after according to them. As an illustration of that, while I'm not certain that everything else was ceteris paribus, even simply changing the pinna on Sean Olive's own rig quite drastically changed the APM's response past 1kHz : https://twitter.com/seanolive/status/1368458551618805760?s=20
In general both seem to be a bit of an inconsistent mess above a few kHz.

They also claim that headphones like the AKG K371, which are tuned to their target response curve, will have a "neutral and accurate" sound or response for most listeners.

The more I'm spending time with them, the more I'm inclined to form the opinion that if you want to hear something closer to Harman's intent, you're better off using a pair of open headphones with low sample variation and low person to person or seatings to seatings variation, and fairly constant measurements across industry standard test rigs / methodologies / operators, and EQ them according to dummy head measurements / presets. So certainly not the K371 (nor the APM). A pair of HD6... with reasonably fresh pads + EQ presets would be a better bet IMO.

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #158 of 272
I find the AirPods Max to have more neutral sounding midband and treble.

I have two sets of headphones... Oppo PM-1s and AirPods Max. I find that the Oppos are very close to the original Harman curve and the AirPods to the revised Harman curve. Personally, I prefer the Oppos and pull back the bass on the AirPods Max using EQ, but that is likely because of the shape of my ear canals and head being in line with the older Harman preference target, not because it sounds like my speaker system, which neither of these headphones resembles in the least.

When you strap the transducers to the sides of your head, all bets are off. You are no longer hearing sound in a natural way in a space. It's being shot down the holes in your skull, and those holes have as much impact on the sound as the room does with speakers.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #159 of 272
An interesting complementary post in regards to Jude's observations on "neutral" : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ments-harman-target-talk.957709/post-16346549

"Compared to the AKG K371 (which is one of the closest matches to the Harman AE/OE Target), I find the AirPods Max to have more neutral sounding midband and treble. I understand some will agree and some will disagree, but that's part of the point I was making in the video."

As far as I'm concerned, as I own both of them, I second Jude's opinion, for reasons that can be plainly explained by how they respectively measure on my own head :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k361-k371.916764/post-16443548

Both the K371 and APM show a lot of variation past 1kHz or so across various test rigs / methodologies / operators so it's difficult to know exactly what they were going after according to them. As an illustration of that, while I'm not certain that everything else was ceteris paribus, even simply changing the pinna on Sean Olive's own rig quite drastically changed the APM's response past 1kHz : https://twitter.com/seanolive/status/1368458551618805760?s=20
In general both seem to be a bit of an inconsistent mess above a few kHz.

The more I'm spending time with them, the more I'm inclined to form the opinion that if you want to hear something closer to Harman's intent, you're better off using a pair of open headphones with low sample variation and low person to person or seatings to seatings variation, and fairly constant measurements across industry standard test rigs / methodologies / operators, and EQ them according to dummy head measurements / presets. So certainly not the K371 (nor the APM). A pair of HD6... with reasonably fresh pads + EQ presets would be a better bet IMO.

Howdy Maya,

Fwiw, I just finished re-reading your post on this in the K371 topic. And found it pretty interesting. FYI, I am not surprised that you found a possible L/R imbalance in the K371's bass response, because I encountered something similar on my AKG K553's. Fwiw, the measurements by Rtings (which were also done in human ears in the bass) seem to show a similar imbalance, but favoring the right channel...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-5/graph#1671/7903

Whether that might be due to the single-sided cable design, I don't know. I opened the cups on my AKG K553's though, which were also single-sided, and noticed that there was more wiring in the left cup where the cable attached. And also an extra tuning hole in the left baffle plate (which I plugged), which was presumably intended to compensate for that.

Re the Apple APM... The differences in measurements in the upper mids and low treble on this model are somewhat confusing. You speculated that it could be due to the pads interfacing differently with the dummy rigs, I think. I wonder if it could also be related to the ANC, or some of the headphone's other DSP functions.. And whether turning those features off might produce a different result.

I would also tend to agree with you about the difference between open and closed headphones. And the former being somewhat more reliable in terms of sound consistency between different listening sessions. I have only used closed dynamic headphones up to this point, because I like their extension in the bass. And don't want to bother my neighbors at night. But have been considering a couple open models for possible future purchase.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #160 of 272
There was no live stream this weekend by Resolve. But I happened to run across an excellent Q&A session today between Erin of Erin's Audio Corner and Dr. Floyd Toole (who is now officially retired as a consultant for Harman) that I hadn't heard before, from just a couple months ago. And thought some of the speaker buffs and others interested in general audio might find it sort of interesting...

The CIRMMT video that Erin references several times in the above discussion is this one btw (already previously posted here). Both are good watches if you want to learn more about speakers, and how they are measured...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #161 of 272
I think Resolve also referenced some recent remarks by Steve Guttenberg in one of his recent live streams as well. And that may have been how the subject of measurements, and whether they actually matter came up. So here is also Mr. Guttenberg, with a somewhat different perspective than the above.

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #162 of 272
Howdy Maya,

Fwiw, I just finished re-reading your post on this in the K371 topic. And found it pretty interesting. FYI, I am not surprised that you found a possible L/R imbalance in the K371's bass response,

In regards to the K371, I can't fully untangle the HPs' own imbalance from how their seal may vary because of my own anatomy's asymmetries and their general susceptibility to seal breach (even performing averages of individual seatings result in different outcomes with the K371 on my head).
The higher-Q notches one can see on one channel vs. another in the bass region are unlikely to be caused by the latter given their shape and the type of headphones (this is not a planar with a fully sealed front volume), and are more likely to be caused by the headphones themselves indeed. Besides, they vary between the samples I've had. So while I'm quite confident that they aren't the last word in manufacturing consistency I'm not sure that I can quantify exactly the degree.
The TLDR anyway is that their L/R consistency, taking all the variables above together, sucks big time at least for the samples I've had and on my own head, and it's very audible even when I move about. It's incredibly annoying to hear a bass rumble suddenly move to the right just because I've leant a little bit on the left.

Re the Apple APM... The differences in measurements in the upper mids and low treble on this model are somewhat confusing. You speculated that it could be due to the pads not interfacing correctly with the dummy rigs, I think. But I also wonder if it could be related to the ANC, or some of the headphone's other DSP functions.. And whether turning those features off might produce a different result.

I am very skeptical that Apple's adaptive EQ works above 800-1000Hz (for the APM, for the APP it might be different). For starters you'd think that if this were the case they'd show fairly low positional variation above that range, but that isn't the case :
https://twitter.com/oratory1990/status/1343323936801644544?lang=en
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-5/graph#16092/7913
I've also measured them on my head with in concha mics both with the ear canal open, and the ear canal blocked (cf. image below) - so keeping all else as ceteris paribus as I could - and found that the difference between the two shared characteristics not too dissimilar from other headphones (ie small but noticeable differences between 2-4kHz, which trends match what I'm finding when measuring headphones with both blocked ear canal entrance mics and my DIY probe mic - which is open).
The idea that the APM could perform some form of DSP magic in that range isn't completely far fetched. If I understand that article well (free access) over-ear HPs still operate in pressure conditions below a few kHz and therefore the inwards facing mic could still provide some information as to what is happening at the DRP in the ear canal gain region : https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=20605
But I'm not sure we have any evidence, overall, that the APM is much different from other ANC headphones with a feedback circuit.

BTW I'm not the only person whose in-ear mics measurements for the APM found results that weren't quite superbly well aligned in the ear canal gain region with some rigs measurements (which are all over the place for the APM anyway) : https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/os73cl/airpods_max_impressions/

The degree of confidence I can have in my own measurements with the various mics below is a complex, multifaceted subject that depends on various factors such as :
  • Seatings to seatings repeatability on my own head for each specific headphones, for each part of the FR spectrum
  • Sample variation
  • Pads brake in / aging / warming up during use, their impact on which part of the spectrum
  • The repeatability of the chosen measurement method, whether in terms of absolute values, or relative differences between headphones
  • The relevance of the chosen measurement method vs. known characteristics of the human ear (literature) vs. the range of the FR spectrum we’re evaluating.
  • And probably quite a few others :D.
All of that can be evaluated in various ways such as plotting results against each others but that would make for a very long and boring post with dozens and dozens of squiggly lines of this kind :
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 22.35.34.png
Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 23.17.15.png
Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 18.27.51.png

Untangling all these nuisance variables from each others is sometimes a bit difficult but often a fairly rational and demonstrable explanation can be found.
Blankets statements such as “I can EQ headphones within 0.3dB of each others at my DRP” are most likely to be wrong. More specific statements such as “I can EQ on my own head (and not for you) the right channel of my own pairs of HD560S and HD650 within 0.5dB of each others between 70 and 1500Hz, 1.5dB between 1500 and 4000Hz, 1dB between 4000 and 7000Hz, and unknown above that” are more likely to be accurate, because I’m starting to get a pretty good grasp of the aforementioned factors.

But the TLDR is that for realistic seatings of the APM on my head vs headphones such as the H400SE, HD650, HD560S, Hi-X65 (not the K371, this one's a consistency nightmare across the entire range :D), the degree of confidence I can have in my own on-head measurements for relative comparisons between headphones is quite a lot tighter in the ear canal gain region than the variance I've seen from dummy head / test rig measurements between the APM and other headphones or the variance we've seen in general between APM measurements.

I can't really explain these variations - even less the ones above 5kHz where the APM's dummy head measurements aren't particularly informative (and an area of the spectrum where my confidence in my own measurements for them drops as I'm getting increased "noise" from the various nuisance variables above, particularly seatings to seatings variation, albeit nowhere near as bad as the K371). So far fiddling with exactly how they sit around my ears and particularly how even / uneven the pad compression is and its degree makes me float the idea that this is something that might be worth looking into as this does modulate the response in the ear canal gain region quite specifically - at least for me - relative to the response below 1kHz and in the 4-5kHz range. Also, my own anatomy (and I would suspect most of the population actually) differs quite substantially around my ears from hammerhead-style fixtures (and even most dummy heads).

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 19.11.38.png

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #163 of 272
In regards to the K371, I can't fully untangle the HPs' own imbalance from how their seal may vary because of my own anatomy's asymmetries and their general susceptibility to seal breach (even performing averages of individual seatings result in different outcomes with the K371 on my head).
The higher-Q notches one can see on one channel vs. another in the bass region are unlikely to be caused by the latter given their shape and the type of headphones (this is not a planar with a fully sealed front volume), and are more likely to be caused by the headphones themselves indeed. Besides, they vary between the samples I've had. So while I'm quite confident that they aren't the last word in manufacturing consistency I'm not sure that I can quantify exactly the degree.
The TLDR anyway is that their L/R consistency, taking all the variables above together, sucks big time at least for the samples I've had and on my own head, and it's very audible even when I move about. It's incredibly annoying to hear a bass rumble suddenly move to the right just because I've leant a little bit on the left.

Fwiw, this is one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of single-sided cables generally. But all of my headphones (unfortunately) have that. I don't know where manufacturers got the impression that was a good idea!

I haven't spent as much time with the K371, since I've only listened to them in stores. But I had some very similar issues to what you are describing on their big brothers, the AKG K553 Pro's, when I was using those. The pads on the K553 were/are very large plush and comfortable, with almost no clamp. Which was one of the reasons I liked those headphones.

They did not seal well or consistently though, for a couple of different reasons. Others may disagree, but imo this was primarily due to the stiffness of the K553's hinges. And the memory foam inserts in the pads. The larger your head is though, the easier it probably is to get an acceptable seal on the K553. Because it will produce more clamp, and also allow the cups to be centered a little better on your head.

I found some work-arounds though to fix most of the above. And replaced the stock memory foam inserts with some regular form inserts that would hold their shape better. (I preferred cloth coverings on the pads as well. But hesitate to suggest that, because I think it may have contributed to some static buildup in the headphones, which eventually seemed to brick them.)

The K553 had different imbalances in different parts of its frequency response, which compromised its stereo imaging a bit. And you couldn't easily compensate for them with just a simple left/right balance control, like I can do (more or less) on my Beyer DT-770's. I tried to use some graphic EQs with separate left and right FR adjustments to correct it. But it was difficult, because (as I discovered) I also have some fairly pronounced imbalances in my own hearing, due to different levels of hearing loss at different frequencies in my ears. So I eventually just settled on using a simple L/R balance control. And tweaking that depending on the spectral content of each recording. Which worked ok (but definitely not perfectly) for most stuff.

I made a small correction in my previous post above re the Rtings measurements btw. It was rather late last night when I made that post, and I apparently got the left and right channels reversed on the graph. (Score one for Mr. Guttenberg on the ease of reading graphs!) :) The Rtings measurements actually favored the right channel in the bass though, rather than the left.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #164 of 272
I am very skeptical that Apple's adaptive EQ works above 800-1000Hz (for the APM, for the APP it might be different). For starters you'd think that if this were the case they'd show fairly low positional variation above that range, but that isn't the case...

Fwiw, I think you're doin a great job with these measurements. Including a fairly well known (and fairly consistent) HP like the HD650 as a frame of reference definitely helps with the interpretation of some of your results. So I appreciate you doing that, even though it may be a bit more work.

I apologize if this is something you already mentioned elsewhere, because I'm not immediately seeing it above. But when you do your own measurements, do you take them with the headphones at several different positions on your head, like Tyll used to do, and then compute an average of those? Or do you just try to get the seal and fit as correct as possible based on your own listening, and then do just a single measurement from that position?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #165 of 272
Oratory's plots of the Apple APM, with and without ANC enabled, in case anyone's interested. The plot with ANC enabled also has Vocal Range set to Moderate, which seems to be one of the more forgiving in the lower treble. These are DF compensated, btw, like most of the other plots I've posted here.

APPLE_APM_DF_COMPENSATED.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back