Thoughts about upgrading... with a twist!
Oct 2, 2007 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gkl

100+ Head-Fier
Although it's only been a couple of months with my HD595s (my entry in the world of better headphones), I'm really itching to try something higher-end. Really, when I was considering getting these, I so wanted something (maybe) better (you all are bastards) but the funds didn't allow. But now they kinda do, so I'm in a dilemma. A rather interesting one, in my humble opinion.

I'm currently considering Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohm). Why these? Because for my new (hopefully) main cans I'd like something with a better clarity, bigger soundstage and more detail than HD595. Other option is, I guess, AKG 701 but I'm afraid that those could be too boring. Beyers are also considered very comfortable which is pretty important (HD595s spoiled me as they are super comfortable).
So, basically I'm down on getting the DT880s.

But on the other hand, we have HD650. In my opinion, an extremely good looking pair of headphones. "But, gkl, you said that you wanted more clarity, why are you thinking about the Senns?" you might ask. Well, the answer is pretty simple - I'd like to try out the "veiled", "syrupy", "warm" etc. sound of the Senns. Who knows, maybe I even like it better than Beyers. A complementary phone to the DT880s, so to say.

But here we come to the twist (and my question) - should I get both? Only DT880? Hell, maybe try something completely new and get a pair of Grado SR225? Also, how different is the sound signature between the Senns and Beyers?

Source will be E-MU 0404 USB.

Some of my favorite bands/musicians include:
Aphex Twin
Boards of Canada
The Beatles
Air
Amon Tobin
Beck
David Bowie
other assorted electronic stuff (NO trance/techno and similar club music)
different kinds of post rock bands
some alternative stuff
occasional metal
some jazz (considering to get into this genre more)
ambient stuff (Brian Eno, Harold Budd and similar)

basically I listen to semi-varied music.

Obviously I'm also open to other suggestion. Also, keep in mind that I live in EU, importing stuff from USA will probably result in a ~22% tax.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 24
The DT880 and HD650 are definitely different sound signatures.
My suggestion would be to buy both, but try to find some that are used but in great condition. That way you should get a good enough deal to be able to sell them for what you paid, if you decide you only want to keep one.
You may decide you like them both enough to merrit the cash outlay.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 24
Look into the DT990s as well, they're pretty nice for the music you listen to.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 24
@dkpaul
how is the HD650 compared to HD595?

@swt61
I wouldn't mind trying to buy used (in the right condition, all accessories of course), but, I don't know, I live in Latvia so my payment options are quite limited.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 24
You might want to check out the HD600's too. They aren't as laid back as the HD650 but still much more laid back than Grado's. If comfort is a big issue, I'd wait and get the Grado's as a 2nd pair. This way you are comfortable and eventually you'll have 2 complementary pairs for varying moods.

I kinda went the opposite way cause I like the Grado sound so much
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 24
Have you considered Stax? A 2050 from Pricejapan will give you everything you say you want in spades, at least as much so as any of the headphones you mention, and will cost less than any of them if you factor in the amp any of them will need to sound their best. (and no, the onboard amp of the EMU is nothing like what a proper headphone amp will give you with these picky headphones) AND Pricejapan ships to Latvia.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 24
@facelvega
You are a bad, bad person. Recommended fancy electrostats for the poor gkl. At least soon to be poor one.

Actually I don't think I'm ready to dive in electrostatics as of yet, but I will consider your recommendation.

Regarding amps, I know that these do need one to sound their best, but will getting one really make a huge difference? No exaggeration please. And since Beyers seem to go well with Meier amps, I was considering an Arietta. Any other suggestions? Price can be higher (not by too much though).
Also, keep in mind that I have the E-MU 0404 USB and not the PCI version, therefore it has a better internal amp.

Oh, and I'm pretty much settled to go for the DT880. I have a feeling that I'll get HD650 eventually but not right now. But Grado SR225 does look quite interesting (a complementary fun/in your face/active headphone).

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 24
For what it's worth, I'll offer my opinion.

I've had the HD600's for about three years now and really enjoy their sound. The step from my HD570's to 600's was not as revolutionary as going from cheap cans to 570's, but there was a jump. They are certainly the nicest headphones *I've* ever heard. About 9 months ago I got the itch for a headphone amp because everyone says you've just gotta have one for these puppies, and I have yet to be able to justify the $300 I spent on that little thing. There is a difference, but (for me and my ears) I look at it on a scale of 1-10. Going from cheap cans to expensive cans is like moving from 1 to a 7.5. Getting into high end cans like the 600's, etc. is like going from a 7.5 to an 8.8. Throwing a decent amp takes you to about 9.2. And you can sped the rest of your life and all of your money to hit 9.9.

I'm not saying don't get the amp, I'm just saying be realistic as you've already had the major revelation by getting into high-end audio, now you just have to decide how far in you can afford to get and if it's worth it to *you* (e.g. not *us*
wink.gif
).

That's merely my 2 cents, and I'm willing to respect anyone else's comments on the matter.

Good luck!
- Chaz

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gkl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding amps, I know that these do need one to sound their best, but will getting one really make a huge difference?

Short answer is no. Long answer is it depends on a number of factors...

You would do well to discard the advice of people who think in dollars, brands, marketing terms and such. There's no reason a soundcard must have a poor integrated headphone amp just because it says E-MU on it. I've never used your particular soundcard so I can't comment on its amp. Do you have any experience with it, facelvega?

Here's an idea: tell us how your soundcard manages with your current headphone. You need a good bit more voltage to drive a DT880 (for example) than a HD595 so the first thing to do would be to make sure that the card has got some to spare.

Would any of you please explain to me why one would want a headphone to sound the best when one is on a budget and/or still searching for the right headphones by the way? After all this time, I still don't get it...

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 24
@chazdraves & HFat
Well, to be honest I expect for the amp not to make that much of a difference, but I'm not really sure it's worth for me to blow something like 600$ on, let's say, Corda Cantate when it might not have the best synergy with the can that must sound "their best". So for me headphones themselves are of a higher importance. I will end up getting an amp someday, though.
wink.gif

Regarding E-MU driving my HD595, it does so very well I guess, but then again, anything can drive HD595 as they are fairly low impedance.

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 24
HFat is right on the amp issue-- headphone amps make much less difference than the headphones themselves, and you should certainly get a good pair of headphones before bothering with buying an amp. That said, in my experience dedicated amplification is still convincing: it's one of those improvements that seems small when you switch to it, but feels big if you try to switch back to your old system.

But considering the cost of Stax, I don't see the price issue. I don't know how much a DT880 would cost in Latvia, but in Germany they run about 219 euros. Add in 200 for the Arietta you mention: 419 total. Pricejapan will ship you a Stax 2050II for 376 euros if you want DHL, and for only 319 if you take the cheap shipping. For that price, you get both the headphones and amp; all you'd need on top of that is a 12V wall wart of 400mA or more, which should be cheap and easy to find. Heck, you may already have one sitting around the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back