Those of you with headphones and speakers
May 31, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #17 of 32
Great post sejarzo! This is also how I have mine hooked up--using the tape outputs of a 2 channel preamp.

May 31, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 32
I have separate systems so I just turn one on and the other off.
tongue.gif

May 31, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 32
I struggled with this a bit as my amp doesn't have a tape loop. I eventually went for a similar approach to Scrith above, where I used an RCA splitter I got from Meier Audio. It works well and saves me having to plug/unplug all the time.

splittersmall.jpg

May 31, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #21 of 32
I use digital out of X-Fi to EMU0404 for HD595 headphones and X-Fi analog out for Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I also have an A/B switch hooked to the analog out of the X-Fi so that I can switch easily between the speakers and a pair of Panasonic portable headphones that I use just for games and not music. HD595 are overkill for games and get too warm and heavy during long game sessions. A/B switch costs only ten bucks at Radioshack.

May 31, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #22 of 32
I use the cheap onboard sound card for speakers and the chaintech av710 for my headphones. Still trying to figure out how to have them both going at the same time though.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 32
I use a splitter. I plug the speakers into one output and the interconnect for my amp into the other side.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #24 of 32
ProMedia 2.1's = X-Fi analog out
Headphone setup = X-Fi front panel coaxial output
HT setup = X-Fi front panel coaxial output

I just swap the Coax if I goto my HT setup. I don't have a fiber cable quite long enough from my PC to my HT, so I may switch to fiber for my DAC/AMP so I don't have to swap anything anymore (I get analog output, fiber out, and coax out).

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #25 of 32
I have a Benchmark DAC1 connected to two computers. The Mac Powerbook uses the USB input, and the PC uses the S/PDIF input. A front-panel switch selects the input.

For output, the DAC1 has a built-in headphone amp with two output jacks. It also has balanced line out and RCA line out. I use the latter to connect to my power amp and speakers.

The left-hand headphone jack has a switch incorporated that mutes the line out. I use that for my headphones, so I'll remember to pull out the plug when using the speakers because the volume needs to be set quite a bit louder then. The DAC1 is right there on the desk, so switching just takes a moment.

I use headphones when I want the best sound, or early in the morning. I use speakers when I need to move around, or am DJing a program and need to use my headset to make announcements. Speakers sound better than that particular headset, but I do have to remember to turn the volume down so I don't get echoes...

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #26 of 32
Soundcard (outputs digital to) --> RCA splitter (splits digital to) -->

1 --> Panasonic XR-55 Class D Digital Receiver --> Speakers

2 --> Zhaolu D2 --> M^3 --> Headphones

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #27 of 32
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Analog 5.1 out >> Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 ultra (set as primary in windows and handles all gaming, windows and movie audio)

Chaintech AV-710 SPDIF out >> PreSonus CentralStation (music, player is foobar using ASIO)

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #28 of 32
Presonus Central Station was the perfect solution for me. Clean passive signal paths. S/PDIF and TOS in as well as analog. Passive speaker control so I can volume control my BX5 active monitors. And it has 2 terrific built-in headamps. Love it!

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #29 of 32
EMU Analog Out=>Logitech z-2300's
EMU digital out=>DAC=>Amp=>headphones

I just add or remove the ASIO insert in the EMU patchmix DSP as needed.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #30 of 32
Audigy 4 with 3.5mm splitter. connected to Edfier R501 MKII and headphones.

when i wanna use the speakers i set the speaker settings to 5.1....when its time for headphones, i set it to 2/2.1 and turn off the speaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back