Those of you with headphones and speakers
May 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ozstrike

100+ Head-Fier
How do you switch between the two?
I'm assuming that if you havea headphone amp, you don't want to degrade the quality by going through the headphone out of a speaker amp.

So if you have both a headphone amp and a speaker amp, how do you switch? Do you just change the cables when you want to switch? Or can you get some kind of switch box?

May 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 32
I switch between my headphone and speaker rigs using this menu in iTunes.
wink.gif

picture1rq3.png

May 31, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 32
My masterplan for a combined speaker/headphone rig to be purchased and set up over the summer pretty much uses the same obvious solution that Duggeh suggests: PC (eventually through a dedicated DAC) to a Stereo Receiver where speakers can be switched on/off by the push of a button/twist of a knob, and analog RCA out from the receiver to a headphone amp.

May 31, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 32
Many amps have a pre-out (some even have balanced pre-outs, if using balanced inputs). Alternatively, you can purchase a cable to split the output from your DAC or sound card and send it to two amps (I was very skeptical of this approach, but I used it for quite awhile after very careful testing revealed no significant differences in quality with a regular vs. Y-cable).

May 31, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 32
Quintete switchbox by FidAudio. No longer being made, but I still see the occasional WTB post looking for one.

May 31, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 32
A "tape out" used to be labeled as "tape monitor - out" on most receivers, integrated amps, or preamps, and eventually was shortened to just "tape out" most of the time.

Back in the days when most folks had a reel-to-reel or cassette deck attached to their analog systems, it served quite a useful purpose. The "tape out" basically just replicates the signal from the selected source. Back in analog days, that was usually the output from the phono preamp section, so it could be sent to the input of the tape deck to record your LP's onto tape.

The other set of jacks on the amp could be labeled "tape in", "tape monitor", or "tape monitor - in". They were connected to the signal coming back from the tape deck's playback head, which was located just after the recording head in the tape path. That way, you could listen to what was recorded on the tape only a fraction of a second after it was recorded.

That served a couple of needs......first, you could hear if you had set the recording level too high on the tape machine and ended up with a distorted recording, and secondly, you could hear if the tape had a "dropout", a defect that prevented the signal from recording properly. You'd hear a split second of silence, then usually your own expletives as you realized you had to re-record the whole LP on a new tape.

The "tape monitor" switch on the preamp/receiver/integrated amp allowed you to listen to either the source directly, or the signal coming back from the tape deck.

If you didn't have a tape deck, or if you had multiple tape monitor loops, you could connect an external device like a graphic equalizer in the same way. The tape monitor allowed you to easily switch back and forth to compare the unequalized vs. equalized sound.

In all cases, the signal level from the "tape out" jacks is unaffected by the setting of the volume knob on the preamp/integrated amp/receiver.

Even though analog tape is pretty much ancient history for most of us, the terminology remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back