Those around you support your hobby?
Jul 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if those people around you supports your headphone hobby or not?
Those people includes girlfriends/boyfriends, parents, sisters/brothers and family in general and friends.
Would love to know how many people have to deal with hobby complains and how many is supported by GF/BF, friends, family and relatives ...

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 19
I try to keep this hobby as low profile as possible, that's why I'm limited to portable equipment
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 19
Well I went with they love it but I really needed something more in the middle. Like they tolerate it and occasionally use and enjoy my stuff.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 19
My wife could care less about my obsession of audio. She tolerates it and is happy that I am happy.... or so she says
evil_smiley.gif

She does like some of the bands that I have found along the way though.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 19
Well put it this way - I have never, so far in my lifetime, seen any high end headphones before in public. I could walk up to anyone and say "Have you ever heard of <insert name of high end headphone brand>" and I am 99.9% sure they'd say no.

iBuds and the occasional Sony earbuds or something are the only 'phones I ever see. Shame really because I can't ask my friends advice on which headphones to buy. I show them HD595's and they always say those because they look the coolest.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife could care less about my obsession of audio. She tolerates it and is happy that I am happy.... or so she says
evil_smiley.gif

She does like some of the bands that I have found along the way though.

X2 here
rs1smile.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 19
My boyfriend supports me for real. He doesn't say I am a goof or anything. He already knew I was like that before we got together. He only knew first about my photography-equip-love. That is quite the same.
My parents, I don't know. They understand I guess that I value great sound. They don't care I spent that much money on it probably because I don't live on their paycheck anymore. My dad understands it more than my mom. She just doesn't really care about that.
My brother understands for sure cause he is into audio/music himself. He sometimes does think i am a retard spending that much on a portable amp while he wants to buy microphones for a 1000 euros each. But he is just a weirdo.
I voted the first option but they don't love my hobby, they appreciate and understand it. I love it. And they don't use my gear though sometimes my bf listens to it and my brother and dad just want to hear what I bought and wanna know how it sounds.

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 19
My vote should have been somewhere between No. 1 and No. 3...but not No. 2.

They generally don't much care, but yet the Wife stole my KSC75 and the kids took over my MS-1 for over four months.

I am not allowed to wear my phones when the Wife is watching her whole batch of home improvement shows just in case she might want to show me a new piece of molding or some obscure bathroom fixture. Or just wants to gab about what a friend of hers' husbands' brothers' friend is doing about something I have absolutely no desire to learn about.

I used to be able to get away with wearing just one of the KSC75 earpieces while the sound card was on "mono" so that she could't see that I was listening to my tunes while She was telling me bout some molding or bathroom fixture or some friends husbands brother......maybe that's why She took my KSC75 for her iPod.
rolleyes.gif

And I guess She figures the phones keeps me off the streets.
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 19
My fiance isn't against my hobby- she encouraged me to buy the K701s that I wanted when they first came out, and she bought me the delicious RS-1s that I'm listening to right now. She's okay with it, and occasionally uses my headphones.. and hell, she even appreciates how good they sound. Which is kind of cool. She still uses iBuds, even though I'd let her use my better headphones. She can hear the difference, but it doesn't matter that much to her.

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 19
They know about this hobby but in no way do i let hem know the amount of money that has gone into it as i feel no good would come of that.I chose the last option.

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 19
I think that's exactly the way you should do it, but maybe for a bit more drama- sneak up behind her and tackle her to the ground while slipping the headphones on?
biggrin.gif
Nothing like the element of surprise to impress someone.

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 19
My wife enjoys that I enjoy the hobby. She's been instrumental in the acquisition of some of my gear and she even listens to her "inherited" SR60's. I recently picked up a Tivoli and an iPod for her and I'm slowly migrating her towards better sound. She was a casual music listener before. She now listens to music all day long and more attentively. She is starting to get the idea of the lingo and enjoys hearing new things from her favourite tracks. Sooner or later it will be time for speakers and then we will shop together. That will actually be a lot of fun.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 19
My husband is pretty tolerant. He's glad that I get so much pleasure from it & doesn't mind my spending as long as I don't go too far and sell something else when I get something new! He also helps with my ventures into DIY. He's pretty saavy with the meter & troubleshooting. But he only listens when I make him. He's learned to try to really listen though & give an honest opinion - but he really doesn't care much.

My friends make fun of me & don't get it much at all. I couple of them do enjoy what they hear & kinda understand - but most just find it an amusing thing to pick on me about
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back