This Thread Will Self-Destruct in 5 seconds....
Jun 23, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Thomas,

That is a part of doppler effect. This moving boundary changes the effective path of sound in the frame of reference of the audience.

However, what you suggest is very difficult to do. And you can achieve the same effect by moving transducer in the air. (no need for other gases.) You can change the path of sound much easier.

You are complicating the problem by adding more variables.

I know, I never expected it to be built, just wanted to see if there was any way to use two gasses to shift frequency.... its what engineering physics students do for fun on fridays
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Arg.....so should I go to the effort or not?

Well, if you wanted to develop a viable product andl make money from it, then i'd say there's little point of doing anything more (unless i've made some big mistakes in my understanding of this) .....But it might be fun and you could learn a lot if you tried experimenting/building any of the designs ideas shown here to see how/if any of them work....

Jun 23, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #32 of 35
Thomas,

To your relief, it will work if you can build one. What I said before is that I can do the same frequency modulation without using gases.

You apply classical mechanics and that makes your proof very long. It does not describe how it "propagates" in the media. You must apply wave mechanics. This will not only shorten your proofs but also gives more "general" proof so that you can apply to many different systems.

Going back to Talkin' Funny after sucking Helium.

The key is "resonance frequency" withn your vocal cavities. What this means that with exception to this frequency (This one gets amplified), other frequencies gets damped. (the amount of damping is related to frequencies. ie Harmonics.) You hear me say "Bla!" not because your vocal cord makes "Bla!" noise. We make that sound by modulating our vocal cavities' volumes by which we change resonance frequency. In fact, when you hold your tongue (physically) and try to talk, you will find that you can only make ONE tone. Yes, tongue play major role in vocal frequency modulation.

T

Jun 23, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #33 of 35
Hey!

Speaking of frequency modulation by vocal cavity volume minipulation. (in other words, talking for instance.) I have a much better idea for musicians out there.

You make a speaker with somewhat air tight enclosure. Then you implement gas circulation system. By changing the density of certain gas inside the enclosure, you should be able to control the frequency output of the speakers. If your circulation system is very sophisticated, you might be able to modulate pressures also.

This idea is posted for non-commercial use only. Note for commercial use, you will have to offer me 1% of ownership of your company when and if you go public.

Haha! Just kidding. You can use it if you want. Just quote me or something. Buying me food is perfectly acceptable option. Humm ... very best eel, ... juicy steak ... KFC ... Ice Cream (you bring movies too) ... Pizza (real one only; go to Fettuchi's and ask for thin crust.) ...

Humm ...

T

Jun 23, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #34 of 35
Oh I forget.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread should have self destructed few days ago ... Which tempts me to recall Mr James Bond. He would be sending an email to Q saying:

Q -

I know you are out there, you are skipping your work early to grab dinner again aren't you? Heck you're probably skipping the whole afternoon.

Probably you forgot to turn on the triggering device.

James

Jun 30, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Arg.....so should I go to the effort or not?

Yes, you should, if for no other reason than to prove either thomas or me wrong.

And please do use wave theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back