This old Iphone App that make iphone earphone high res
Jan 23, 2019 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

muscleking

100+ Head-Fier
ok. I wanted to post this a while ago. many years ago when I had iphone 3gs. there was this app made by the same company that they claim make audio software or hardware for Bentley cars' audio systems.

what's the name of this program, does it still exist?

when I was reading review of this software and they rate this software + iphone earphone, better than earphones that cost 1000 and more like electrostatic headphones.

something to do with they tuned the software to work only for that crappy earphone (not these current earpods or whatever it's called, those old maybe 2006 ones).

never get a chance to try that app not sure why I didn't lol.

hopefully people still remember that. I am sure what I have is way past that just want to find the name because it is bothering me for many years hehe.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 12
Is there really an app like this? I'd love to get my hands on it to see if it works with the newer earphones. I use the default iPhone earphones a lot when I'm outdoor because of safety issues (and until I get one with noise cancellation that I extremely like) or when I only need some background noise. A boost in music quality will be much appreciated.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 12
it was during Iphone 3GS era. i did google just now and can't find anything lol. i remember one website review this app+iphone stock earphone that came with 3g or 3gs and rank it higher than 1000 bucks headphones. i was skeptical at the time. i think i was too busy working when first started working at the time and also didn't care about music much. had my portapro at the time for several years and happy with it. the only 2 times audio actually shock me is first getting portapro and plug in iphone, second is getting xonar stx pci express and put in audio technica 700 (my second headphone), maybe just recently plug in lcd3 balanced + audiogd ref 10.32. oh and speaker wise for me is the audioengine a5+. pretty sure i won't be impressed with this app much now even i find it as IEM came a long way since then. i'll search google around 2005 see if i can find the name then i'll post it.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 12
there exist a bunch of apps that are really just applying custom EQ. you have a list of earphones or headphones, and when you select it, a specific EQ is applied. is it what you're talking about?
if so one of the first was GoldenEars Accudio , maybe you're talking about that? nowadays I think True-fi by Sonarworks is the most famous "let me EQ that for you" solution.

Feb 2, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 12
This app (link) got a lot of positive press and reviews a few years back. As @castleofargh said, there are others, but AFAIK Dirac got more press.
is Dirac offering a solution for a big list of headphones and IEMS? I still have a Divine XTZ headphone that uses a Dirac app as DSP compensation, but it's a bundle solution specific to that Bluetooth headphone.

edit: I see the earpods mentioned so at least those are listed, and thequote does look a lot like what OP was asking for. I guess you got the right answer.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 12
This app (link) got a lot of positive press and reviews a few years back. As @castleofargh said, there are others, but AFAIK Dirac got more press.
The Dirac website says that they only work on iPhone 5 and older generations despite supporting iOS 5.1 and later. They also only support playbacks from iTunes which is a service I don't use. That's very limited compatibility, unfortunately.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 12
yeah i was thinking might be DIRAC. kind rings a bell lol.
but anyways these days dac chips progressed a lot so are some heapdhones like planar ones. pretty sure the older earphones came with iphone won't be as good even with crazy eq. i am already at the stage rolling cable to change sound and no eq. isn't thats all the most serious audio people about : )

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 12
EQ is the tool for adjusting response. Using inefficient wires to filter sound isn't effective at all.

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 12
it was during Iphone 3GS era. i did google just now and can't find anything lol. i remember one website review this app+iphone stock earphone that came with 3g or 3gs and rank it higher than 1000 bucks headphones. i was skeptical at the time. i think i was too busy working when first started working at the time and also didn't care about music much. had my portapro at the time for several years and happy with it. the only 2 times audio actually shock me is first getting portapro and plug in iphone, second is getting xonar stx pci express and put in audio technica 700 (my second headphone), maybe just recently plug in lcd3 balanced + audiogd ref 10.32. oh and speaker wise for me is the audioengine a5+. pretty sure i won't be impressed with this app much now even i find it as IEM came a long way since then. i'll search google around 2005 see if i can find the name then i'll post it.

Onkyo HF player ?

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 12
not Onkyo lol. let's leave it at Dirac for now : ) if i can find the article online i'll post the link.

there was a list by sound and it put the iphone earbud to no1 and something like the audiotechnica ad700 is 4th. maybe too old to find the article now.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 12
https://kenrockwell.com/audio/dirac/hd-player.htm

you know now i think about it, it's only Ken Rockwell would say something like that compare earpod to 1000 bucks headphones. lol. so i think i first saw it on his website. makes sense i was rolling camera equipment at the time rather than audio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back