This may be unpopular...but...
May 15, 2009 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
For their price, I think the sony MDR V150s are great. I can tell that the sound is a little colored, more than it should be for a true studio monitor headphone, but they have a very broad range and richness of sound. I know a lot of people complain about the bass, but I am not finding a problem with it. It's loud, but not "Bose tri port" loud. It doesn't drown the other stuff out.

There is adequate separation of instruments as well, except in lower quality recordings. I have a hard time with it then. As they are consumer headphones, they seem to try and "doctor" up poor quality recordings. I can still hear mp3 artifacts, but it seems as though they get "smoothed over" with these headphones.

I mean...hell, for $20, you really can't go wrong. They fit really well and they have a good seal on the ears.

Opinions?

May 15, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean...hell, for $20, you really can't go wrong. They fit really well and they have a good seal on the ears.

Opinions?

It's always a nice thing when good sound can be had for little money, and I appreciate the review of low end gear. A lot of it is overlooked because of the low price, and deservedly so, but there are hidden gems to be found.

May 15, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The V150s sound incredibly muddy. There is no bass nor treble extension - all I hear is a midbass hump. I would much rather spend $20 on KSC75s.

I've heard that argument before.

But I'm finding them to be pretty clear. I mean, I can isolate most of the different parts. It's not muddy to me as much as just "smoothed" over.

I don't know about the bass. I hear a lot of low end sound coming out of these. In fact it might be a little too much.

May 15, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 25
Your opinion changed quite a bit

Quote:

The two most overrated to me are:

Sony MDR V150. These things sell like crazy, and at only 25 bucks. While they aren't terrible, they aren't good.

Bose on ear headphones. These actually have good, clear sound, but the bass is extremely overwhelming. You simply cannot hear the mids in some recordings. If it weren't for this, they would be perfect. They are also very overpriced. I could see these things selling for $80, instead of $180.

May 15, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not really. I think they are good for their price. And they sound good.

Of course there are better headphones out there, but to get them I think you are going to have to spend a lot more than $20. And actually, I think the price of these were lowered recently.

TO make a statement, I would honestly prefer the mdr 150 to the bose...lol

The bose headphones have a decent sound quality but overwhelming bass to the point where it's unbearable.

That said, my main headphones have remained the sony mdr v7.

I don't have the funds to buy the ultra nice, ultra expensive headphones out there. I'm a budget audiophile.

May 15, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 25
We all are.

Quote:

I don't have the funds to buy the ultra nice, ultra expensive headphones out there. I'm a budget audiophile.

May 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all are.

Not Patrick82 I reckon
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 25
I tied out a pair not too long ago. All I can remember is that they made my Senn HD280s clampiness feel feather-light in comparison, probably due to their tiny leatheresque pads.

May 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 25
I had a pair a couple years ago before I knew better. To me it sounds like the music is being played through a wet blanket...Trust me get some Koss KSC 75's and compare the two.

Saying they are better than the Bose is not saying to much. I would probably choose the 150's over the Bose...then cut a hole in the cups and mount the Koss drivers inside.
tongue.gif

May 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PieRat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pair a couple years ago before I knew better. To me it sounds like the music is being played through a wet blanket...Trust me get some Koss KSC 75's and compare the two.

Saying they are better than the Bose is not saying to much. I would probably choose the 150's over the Bose...then cut a hole in the cups and mount the Koss drivers inside.
tongue.gif

Those have good reviews, but I don't like that design too much.

I wouldn't trust myself to do that with the drivers...lol

May 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 25
just stopped by at Kinokuniya yesterday and listened to the demo Jap songs in the store by Sony V150. I agree with above statement. It sounds really muddy nothing I can say about clarity. I would go for KSC75 or stretch a budget a bit for Senn PX100 or Porta Pro.

May 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The two most overrated to me are:

Sony MDR V150. These things sell like crazy, and at only 25 bucks. While they aren't terrible, they aren't good.

Quote:

Quote:

confused_face(1).gif

May 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused_face(1).gif

What I meant then was that compared to higher end stuff they don't really cut it. But for low cost consumer headphones, they are decent.

Because I know a lot of people who own them and act like they have high end headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back