This is what happens when you forget to budget for a source
Sep 4, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

havent read any reviews, but it's the one I want to go with my Menthor

I do believe that Zanth has one of those gorgeous players. I would love to hear it.

Sep 5, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 29
markl, I'm running a Rotel player into a modded DI/O, via the long route
tongue.gif

The Moretto's doing just fine, thank you. It's my primary amp for the Sennheiser HD-600, which doesn't need the HAP-04. The midrange on that amp is simply stunning (RCA cleartop, Phillips Miniwatt SQ's). Second to nothing...not even the EAR (but wait until I get those Sovteks out of there
tongue.gif
). The EAR has other advantages, tho...
biggrin.gif

dhwilkin, I remember that thread. By a completely bizarre coincidence, my new W2002's are on the way to me as I type. Would a new comparison of the woodies count as history repeating?...
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I've noticed about the EAR/R10 combination is that it's the most source sensitive setup I've heard...and it's telling me that my status as DI/O modder is strictly amateur.

2 channel, It doesn't really matter how the Shanling sounds. That player looks like it's worth it based on looks alone
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I'm afraid some head-fi'ers (names withheld to prevent thread from getting closed) will take Hirsch's sense of humor as a recommendation on system building.

Oh, come on Kelly. Give me some credit. I would at least recommend the Denon DCM-370 for that system.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #19 of 29
Hirsch needs some custom power cords and isolation platforms for his discman..
biggrin.gif
I guess that'd be an awesome setup to for testing sources. how else can you assess a source potential better then pairing it with the R10 and EAR!

The Shanling is awfully pretty and some people had vouched that it sounds as good as it looks!

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
Hirsch needs some custom power cords and isolation platforms for his discman..
biggrin.gif
I guess that'd be an awesome setup to for testing sources. how else can you assess a source potential better then pairing it with the R10 and EAR!

I use Powerex Maha rechargeable NiMH...power cords for Discman? Why introduce AC crap into it?
evil_smiley.gif
OTOH, I did get a very real benefit by lining the bottom of a Panasonic CT-470 with adhesive sorbothane. This does clean up the sound a bit, I suspect from damping motor vibrations.

Errrr....were you kidding about tweaking the Discman?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 29
Hirsch,
I'm suprised you haven't upgraded your source to something on par with the rest of your equipment. If you did, there's a good chance you might find yourself reevaluating your impressions on at least some of your current equipment.

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Don't forget to A/B it against the Twin Head! I'm not saying it would "win" so to speak, just that the EAR and Twin Head would make for a Clash of the Titans flavored faceoff in the tubed headphone amplifier world.

Ear HP4 is 2x the cost of a Twin Head... but is it 2x as good? This is one A/B session I would pay to attend.

Hmmm...Twin Head...hmmmmm.... Twin Head, EAR, ZOTL, and RKV would make an interesting tube amp comparison...hmmmm...there's an RKV near by...all I need is to find a Twin Head
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Hirsch,
I'm suprised you haven't upgraded your source to something on par with the rest of your equipment. If you did, there's a good chance you might find yourself reevaluating your impressions on at least some of your current equipment.

Pigmode, the Discman was my sense of humor, feeble though it may be. I had just used it out to test the EAR after doing the conversion to US voltage, before putting it into a system. The image struck me as humorous, so I photographed it. I do have one or two decent sources around here, particularly since refurbishing my Ariston RD11s (still need another cartridge tho). Music Hall MMF-7 is also good with Dynavector 10x Gold L. The Rotel-DI/O setup is far superior to my Sony 9000ES on redbook, IMO, and upsampling to 24/96 (GW Labs DSP) takes it even further. I suppose I'll get one of the big name CDP's at some point, but there's no hurry.

Sep 5, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

I use Powerex Maha rechargeable NiMH...power cords for Discman? Why introduce AC crap into it?
evil_smiley.gif
OTOH, I did get a very real benefit by lining the bottom of a Panasonic CT-470 with adhesive sorbothane. This does clean up the sound a bit, I suspect from damping motor vibrations.

Errrr....were you kidding about tweaking the Discman?
very_evil_smiley.gif

you serious about the sorbothane?
eek.gif

yeah.. i was just kidding around. it'd look REAL funny if you had one of those magnetic floating isolation platform with the discman on top driving the R10
evil_smiley.gif

actually, the art dio would also look out of context next to all those hi-gear, its not visually as impressive as the 9000es.

Sep 5, 2002 at 12:02 PM Post #25 of 29
OMG
How did you acquire the Ear HP4? The price tag on those will take your breath away, $3600, hopefully you got deal on a used one.
Just think before you got those cursed Sony R10 headphones you
were perfectly happy with your Microzotl & Melos, heh heh

BTW
Used Shanlings CDP are appearing at Audiogon now, I saw one yesterday for $1300.

Sep 5, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
OMG
How did you acquire the Ear HP4? The price tag on those will take your breath away, $3600, hopefully you got deal on a used one.
Just think before you got those cursed Sony R10 headphones you
were perfectly happy with your Microzotl & Melos, heh heh

Yes, I got a used one from the UK, for a good bit less than half of the US retail. The R10 tends to do that. When you look at what it makes you do to the rest of your system, the price tag on the R10 is relatively cheap in comparison
tongue.gif

I'm still happy with MicroZOTL and Melos, but for some reason when I get my mailing from the Headphone/Headphone Amp of the Month Club, I keep forgetting to check the card that says "Do not send this month's selection" and mail it back...
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Hirsch said...

I'm still happy with MicroZOTL and Melos, but for some reason when I get my mailing from the Headphone/Headphone Amp of the Month Club, I keep forgetting to check the card that says "Do not send this month's selection" and mail it back...
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL!

I'd love to hear what you think of the Ear-W2002 combination, especially in regards to the perceived noise floor, bass impact, and vocals. The Ear is the only amp that still tempts me to replace my Max. Just be sure to fully break-in the W2002, it really does take a week or two of non-stop use before serious evaluation should be done. Would you have access to a Max for comparison anytime soon?

Sep 5, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I'd love to hear what you think of the Ear-W2002 combination, especially in regards to the perceived noise floor, bass impact, and vocals.

Low noise floor (with P300 in the system that is), alright bass impact, not so stellar vocals. That's my opinion, of course, I have no way of knowing what Hirsch would think of that combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back