This is what happens when you forget to budget for a source
Sep 4, 2002 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
souce.jpg

OK, maybe I can find a better source somewhere...
biggrin.gif
but this system sings. Details will follow in a bit. In brief, my search for bass on the R10 is over. This is simply the best headphone amp I've heard...and the only one I've got that can make the R10 sing. Details to follow...

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 29
Soooo pretty... can't wait to hear impressions. Please do a comparison against the Max and/or Sugden, if you can.

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 29
Nice combo but that glass head is scary. :p

Biggie.

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 29
Surely that's not your only source is it?
confused.gif
Maybe there's been no bass because of your PCDP?

And what about the Moretto you were raving about a couple days ago? That affair didn't last long.
wink.gif
Let us know how the Ear holds up when you're out of the "honeymoon" phase. Sure she's sexy and sleek, but sooner or later little things will start to get on your nerves. Show me a beautiful amp, and I'll show you an audiophile who's tired of listening to her!
wink.gif

markl
P.S. Congrats on the Ear!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

wasifazim said...

Seems almost blasphemous to have a PCDP in the same shot as an EAR HP4 and R10

eek.gif
Ooh, I almost missed that. Very well, in honor of MRael's return to the boards...
Is history about to repeat?!?

Sep 4, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 29
Harharhar.

Originally posted by markl
And what about the Moretto you were raving about a couple days ago? That affair didn't last long.
wink.gif
[/i]

Yeah, what about the impedencered Moretto?

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 29
Nice...but why is the glass head wearing those noise-protection headphones like they use at the shooting range?

biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 29
I'm afraid some head-fi'ers (names withheld to prevent thread from getting closed) will take Hirsch's sense of humor as a recommendation on system building.

Though I've not personally gotten to hear the R10 plugged into the EAR amp, from my memory of the two of them, I think they would be quite happy together. If I owned an R10, the EAR is absolutely the amp I would pair it with. Hirsch has been shopping for a long time and while I think this whole auditioning process can be a lot of fun, my bet is that this combination is where Hirsch will ultimately call home. (Well, after some good tube rolling and cable matching, I mean, of course.)

In reality, Hirsch has a number of good sources including the Sony 9000ES DVD player, a Music Hall somethingernother and the modified ART DI/O DAC. My bet is that before long he ends up buying a much better source, though, if he doesn't have the patience to send that Sony off to ModWright. I'm told Electrocompaniet makes a nice CD player.

Sep 4, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 29
Don't forget to A/B it against the Twin Head! I'm not saying it would "win" so to speak, just that the EAR and Twin Head would make for a Clash of the Titans flavored faceoff in the tubed headphone amplifier world.

Ear HP4 is 2x the cost of a Twin Head... but is it 2x as good? This is one A/B session I would pay to attend.

Sep 4, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I'm afraid some head-fi'ers (names withheld to prevent thread from getting closed) will take Hirsch's sense of humor as a recommendation on system building.

Maybe he could hook up one of those huge boom boxes to it? That would be bigger, and thus better. Right?

biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 29
This one would LOOK the best with that setup
CD-T100C.jpg

havent read any reviews, but it's the one I want to go with my Menthor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back