This is crazy - WHERE IS MY REMOTE?
Jul 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
If any of you have experienced the following, this will make sense to you. Tonight I'm having a bout of making something small become large, annoying, totally distracting, and maddening.

I have two monitors at my computer. One of them is a Samsung PC Monitor/LCD television 19" combo. Tonight I was using both monitors for PC use, and had Comcast digital metal station playing through the stereo. Then, I decided to watch a little of the home run derby (MLB All-Star festivities) and I used the Samsung remote to switch from PC to television use. A "whatever" length of time passed where I was happily working on one monitor while watching the home run derby on the Samsung. I then needed the second monitor, so I picked up the remote and switched back to dual PC monitors.

I've been sitting at my desk most of the night, but have gone downstairs several times. Somewhere along the way the Samsung remote decided to run away. I can't find it anywhere. I don't know if it's safe, or alone out in the world. I've searched high and low but to no avail. For nearly four hours my poor Samsung remote has been missing. I guess this thread becomes the first official notification of my plight. This thread also is my place to vent.

But seriously
.[size=xx-large]WHERE IS MY REMOTE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?![/size]

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 23
It's always in either one of two places:

1) Your back pocket

2) Right in front of you

[size=xx-small](I'm serious, I've had remotes reappear right in front of my eyes.. and btw, have you checked your hands?)[/size]

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 23
Yup, that happens all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thing that was there about a min ago disappears, and it sometimes magically appear when you're pissed enough... then you know... at somewhere incredibly close to you.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 23
I'm in bed now typing on my Dell Axim X51v. I gave up looking tonight. Tomorrow the search will resume.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I borrowed it, did I forget to mention that?

All the way from Cali?

[size=xx-small]<makes note to contact CIA tomorrow morning over possible use of star trek transporter technology to take a remote without permission>[/size]

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 23
I'm laying in bed and my wife walks in. She asks if I found the remote yet and I say know. She asks "What does it look like?" I tell her about it, but of course add the "don't bother I've looked for it already" crap.

Less than five minutes later she comes in with the lost remote.

I say "Where was it?"

She shows me:

It was right in front of me (as stated previously by Kirosia). The front of the remote is balck, the back is silver. I don't think I ever put the remote down face (black) down, until tonight. Right to my left is my silver eyeglass case. The flipped over remote was right next to it, silver side up.

My mind was looking for a black remote. I passed over it so many times.

Time to rethink my "looking for something" strategy. I need training.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, the best way to find that sneaky item that vanishes, is to buy a replacement.
icon10.gif
As soon as I buy a replacement, the original pops up. This has happened several times. However, the last crisis I had was a lost cell phone. I checked everywhere around my apartment and it wasn't popping up. The last time I remembered having it was the previous night at a jazz concert at the art museum. So I thought if I went over there, I might luck out and find it. Even when I gave up and went out to sign my soul away to a new cell phone and plan, the original phone didn't show up (which actually left me feeling quite bad as it was a really nice phone!!!!).

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm laying in bed and my wife walks in. She asks if I found the remote yet and I say know. She asks "What does it look like?" I tell her about it, but of course add the "don't bother I've looked for it already" crap.

Less than five minutes later she comes in with the lost remote.

I say "Where was it?"

She shows me:

It was right in front of me (as stated previously by Kirosia). The front of the remote is balck, the back is silver. I don't think I ever put the remote down face (black) down, until tonight. Right to my left is my silver eyeglass case. The flipped over remote was right next to it, silver side up.

Like my wife always says: "I know how you look for things".
icon10.gif

I can lose something (anything) faster than anyone I know. I've spent a good chunk of my life looking for things - car keys, remotes, tools both small and large, etc.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 23
I'm lucky. At my computer I only need one remote and I only need that one remotely.

For the TV though remotes are a nightmare! One for the TV, one emergency one for the volume only, one for the receiver, one for the DVD player, one for the VCR, one for the CD player and one for the Cable box, and we have four kids who often must use them and absent-mindedly wander off with them to who-knows-where multiple time per day; every day!

I'm gonna get one of those mega-universal super expensive wonder-box remotes and a great big tough chain!

A really tough chain!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back