This is a headphone site, but...what digital camera should I get?
Nov 20, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 30
Not that its really a still camera, but i have a Canon XL1....
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2001 at 10:17 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

what's are the movies like made on a s110? my friend has a 1998 or 99 sony digi cam that can do 320x240 for 15 secs.. the s110 has approx 10 secs.. is that right? do the movies come out with good quality? movies to me are one of the most important features=) gotta capture those funny moments in motion=)

If you like, I can take a movie at all three movie resolutions on the S110 and post them on the web for you, so you can compare the quality:

4 seconds at 640x480
10 seconds for 320x240
30 seconds for 160x120

I use the 320x240 quite a bit for short clips.

Nov 21, 2001 at 7:16 AM Post #19 of 30
i have the nikon 950, and considered strongly the canon s300. The newer nikon coolpix series would be a great choice as well.

Nov 21, 2001 at 8:39 AM Post #20 of 30
Hi,

www.dpreview.com is the best site you can get camera reviews it's concise and well, you can take a look at the picture quality yourself.
I tried the Nikon 885 and the Canon S30 recently. The 885 has quite alot of chroma noise even at the lowest ISO setting. The Canon however was pretty smooth through out. I strongly recommend considering cameras from the following 4 brands, Sony, Olympus, Nikon and Canon. I'm biased towards Canon as I think their quality is the best.

Cheers
Jason

Nov 21, 2001 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 30
Thanks for the link, its a great site.

george

Nov 22, 2001 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 30
Dec 5, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #24 of 30
I really haven't seen much press or many reviews of it, but I recently got a Fuji FinePix 2600 Zoom. I actually ended up getting it for under $200, but it generally retails for about $300 (that's a story in itself).

It's an excellent, excellent camera, and I highly recommend it. It comes w/ a 16 meg smart media card and it supports up to 1600x1200 shots (2MP). I have been taking most shots at the medium quality with a 1280x960 resolution. At that setting, the 16 meg card can hold 49 images. Also, smart media is cheap enough by now, so there's always the chance for getting more of that.

An added bonus for the Fuji is that the the camera works as a usb mass storage device under Linux. The USB connection is very snappy and is a huge step up from a serial tether.

If anyone's interested, I can provide some sample shots that I've taken. Like I said, I have consistently been impressed by the camera. My father has an Olympus 2020Z, which was and probably is a fair deal more expensive; even he agrees that the two are on par with each other.

You're certainly welcome to check out what else is out there, but I would at least take a look at the Fuji.

In case anyone's wondering, I don't work for Fuji or any of that; I am just cointually impressed with the product. Fuji does offer some higher end cameras, some of which edge into 4MP resolution. Truthfully, though, I don't think it's worth it at this point. The optics and other aspects of the camera come first, and the 2600 has those areas down quite well.

Dec 6, 2001 at 1:31 AM Post #25 of 30
That's funny, I just bought a Fuji 2600 two days ago myself!
biggrin.gif
I agree that it's quite a solid camera. Actually when researching the $300-400 range I found that the 2600 was simply the best bang for the buck...it came with a charger and NIMH AA batteries, and it also came with a 16 meg card and it also has 3x optical zoom. This combo is very hard to find in the $300-400 range. Most will skimp on one or the other or on all. It also seemed the Fuji got the most mileage out of its batteries as well, compared to others such as the Sony DSC-P50 Cybershot or the Canon S110 Digital Elph, along with some of the other offerings from Kodak and Olympus. I was also looking for something that didn't use proprietary batteries...and strangely the more expensive the camera, the more likely its battery was proprietary.

Dec 6, 2001 at 1:55 AM Post #27 of 30
Hey guys, I just wanted to respond to all of you and thank you for coming out of the woodwork to give me some advice on cameras. I certainly have a good number to look at now, I think I will be able to find one that suits me perfectly.
Thanks,
Stu

Dec 6, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

im research cams right now haha.. i just strached off the fuji cams coz their movies dont have audio.. only the ixusV has movies with audio... no nikon, no fuji.. looking at kodak now, sony next=)

Then why look at digicams? I mean I would think the #1 purpose if you get a digital camera is to take pictures, not movies. If you want movies you might as well shoot for a cheap camcorder. The movies on the Fuji 2600 do NOT look great at all IMO, and isn't even feasibly usable to me. As far as I'm concerned those 10 second movie clips or whatever is just bloatware on digicams.

Dec 6, 2001 at 5:29 AM Post #29 of 30
i guess so vertigo.. but there is too much hassle involved with dv stuff.. but with digi cams, u can take short movies.. it's prob a teenage thing.. taking movies of yourselves and laughing at each other.. it's easier to take 1 meg movies than like 30-40megs

the ixus camera is 20fps and with audio=)

Dec 6, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #30 of 30
Yea, i dont care much for the movie feature on my Mavica200. Its only 15 secs on 320x240 res and its basically tiny, dont base your decision on this feature. Those 5+ MP cams are looking sweet!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back