This country keeps getting dumber and dumber. Spelling Bee Protests!!!
Jun 4, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 38

Quote:
If we are vulcans, we probably would have accepted phonetic spelling, but we are humans.

This comment made me think of the fictional language "Common" from the Ender series by Orson Scott Card.  It's supposedly English with spelling tha makes sense.

Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37496186/ns/us_news-life/

It's almost unbelievable.  You've got to read this.

I can understand their feelings in wanting to simplify the English language, which as undergone a lot of changes, but at times I want to draw the line at what the youth passes for writing.  I have a rather deep dislike for little things like misspelling "a lot" as "alot" and all those short cut words that might be appropriate in text messages but should not be used in formal correspondence.  Still, there are quite a lot of changes that yield to what would be easier such as how commas are being used less and less.

Sorry for being a little long winded, but the language fascinates me.  There's a pretty good book titled Globlish about how English became so quickly adopted.  The New Yorker had a pretty good article about it: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2010/05/31/100531crbo_books_chotiner

So did NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127221336

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 38
wow. educated people suggesting that fruit be spelled as froot and slow be changed to slo??? i guess we could ignore the subtleties of the english language altogether, and ignore how the quick combination of the u and i sound leads to the oo sound.. and slo??

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 38
Hehe, we have the same guys in France, French is a language in which there are a lot of unpronounced letters inherited from Latin, old French... English, on the other hand, despite having lots of ways to spell a specific phonetic entity, google "ghoti", has almost always all the letters pronounced.

The protesters fail to take into account regional accents, should a word be spelled differently in Texas and NY? And historical heritage, for example, confide and fidelity have the same 'fid' root which means faith, should their spelling be adjusted to reflect the difference in pronunciation?

Getting rid of the words' origins would make would make semantics study and etymology incredibly difficult for future generations. And without a clue of how a word came to exist or its origins, a lot of things would make a lot less sense.

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 38
Quote:
wow. educated people suggesting that fruit be spelled as froot and slow be changed to slo???

I think you're giving them too much credit there.
wink.gif

Off topic here, but the title reminded me of when I participated in a spelling bee back in a private elementary school...I was one of the finalists (top 3 I think) and I got a word wrong. They made me walk from the stage and sit on the floor where the entire audience was, in broad daylight. I remember curling up and crying right then and there; a few classmates were brave enough to ask if I was alright, but I couldn't answer.

Hm...now I'm oddly depressed for some reason.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 38
Eheh... they think modern English is too hard? They should try Chinese (traditional), Japanese (with Kanji) or Arabic or Sanskrit. It will also make it very difficult to link the corresponding words with other European languages. Doesn't Europe already criticize Americans for being mostly monolingual? Now they can laugh at the effort to bastardize the spelling too.

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 38
I must admit, spelling in spanish is quite a relief.  Exactly how it sounds.  Always.  Well, X is a little weird.  But almost always. 

But what do they expect the whole country to relearn how to spell like IM'ing 7 year olds?  Kind of impossible no matter whether you think it's a good idea or not...

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 38
I see. So words like "water" or "corner" and many others should be spelt  differently in England then. How about "herbs"?  Should I spell it 'erbs now that I'm in America (not ever France)?
What is the correct pronunciation of "school" again?

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 38
I think these guys are to be taken largely in the same way as the Flat Earth Society. At the same time, while their message may be extreme, it is not necessarily wrong.

One of my few great English teachers was as a college freshman. He explained the difference between dead and living languages: Latin vs English, for example. In Latin, anything you write would be written in exactly the same way today as it was 1000 years ago, as well as 1000 years from now. But in English, all 3 will be different. Guaranteed.

The nature of English is about simplification. In the 80's, GB Trudeau had his Zonker Harris character on a kick to reduce the language to something like 27 words. Of course it's silly, but think about our language now (especially modern American English), compared to Shakespeare's time. And now we have the texting generation, where even just using full words is way too cumbersome.

The other thing about English is that it really is "mob rule". If enough people spell (or misspell) something for long enough, well guess what. It becomes the proper spelling. Like it or not. In my lifetime, I've seen "traveller" become "traveler". And "publically" become "publicly". The former I can deal with, but the latter still drives me nuts.

But what's the problem, really? I probably write 50+ emails a day, many of which can get pretty lengthy. I hate writing out "through", when I can write "thru". People may not always get such shorthand the first time, but after that generally it's fine. And if just a few more people adopt it every day, it's not long before you see it in the dictionary. (Especially with a little extra help from our friends at MS, and other vendors of "questionable at best" spell checkers.)

I think this is the message from that throng of (four) protesters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back