this can't be happening
Sep 25, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #46 of 71
unless the E4 is radically different from the rest of the Shure line, the Shures aren't made to be shoved in like the Etymotics. glad you're ok, but i wouldn't blame the E4s for the incident.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
I think I'll just stick to my HD 650s. They're not as easy to lodge in a body cavity.

icon10.gif

The doctor gave me a rule. Nothing in your ear bigger then your elbow.. Makes sense, gotta love common sense. Wish i had some..

SOund stage? Well, How's this for sound stage: i can feel the pain, so close and real i'm dizzy, ear bleeding realism... words can't describe, only pain and awkward spinning motions.

Not blaming e4's, the problem was that my ear were too wet from ear wax and the small tip was covered in it and slippy, slippy enuf that the stem piece slipped right out. The only fault is mine here.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #48 of 71
arghh..that would not have been a pleasant experience. Glad to hear you're ok now...

This is exactly why you should use FOAM tips! I've been using shure iem's for nearly a year now and have never had any problems with the foam tips.

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #52 of 71
ouch. you should look at custom ear molds.
etysmile.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #53 of 71
Glad to hear that you're alright now!
orphsmile.gif

Don't worry about it man, I've done stupider things such as...:
In grade 8 I didn't use a C-clamp when using the drill press,
and I was using the largest drill bit which is about 4" wide
the result
me: 0 v.s machine: 1
It scooped a crator sized hole out of the base of my thumb.
I got 24 stiches from it. It kinda resembles a catipillar teehehe.
and now I just tell people it was a freak thumb wrestling accident
etysmile.gif

anyways, just thought you guys would like to know about my stupid stories.

89f26bf9.jpg

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #54 of 71
HOLY COW! Just thinking about getting one of those stuck in my ear makes me ill.

I use the foamies w/my Ety ER4's. I can't imagine those things getting stuck in my wildest dreams. They're too big! As a bonus, they don't "pressurize" the inside of my ear.

I'm glad everything "came out" ok!
eek.gif

I wonder if sneezing real hard with your nose plugged would have done the trick?
etysmile.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #55 of 71
thats a nasty scar my friend, glad you've still got the use of that hand. I'll bet you always use a C-clamp now!

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
eek.gif

Do foamies ever get stuck? That's all I use.
tongue.gif

No, they don't...

IF YOU ARE USING THE SILICONE/PLASTIC TIPS ON YOUR IEMS, BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO INSERT THEM PAST THE BEND IN YOU EAR. THEY WILL GET STUCK!

If you read the Shure manual, it's actually mentioned in there as well.

MJG,

I'm really sorry this happened to you, but you really shouldn't give up on IEM's because of it. Use foam tips, or just be very careful how far in you push the silicone tips. I'm glad you're okay now.

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #58 of 71
Glad you're OK. I hope there are no permanent after-effects.

Safety is definitely always going to be an issue with IEM's. They're not IMO a consumer-oriented product, but more of a professional oriented product, and aren't going to be designed with the same safety margins that more consumer-friendly products will. You can damage your hearing something fierce if you crank them up too loud, and you can have what just happened to you happen if you don't watch your ear canal condition on a regular basis (or just from bad luck, as it seems was the case). That will not, however, deter me from using them, and of course custom-molded IEM's are in a different league safety-wise. The clear flex sleeves on my UM2's don't need to be inserted all that deep in order to establish a proper seal, and I don't see this ever being a problem with them.

Sep 25, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by km.3000
me: 0 v.s machine: 1

do the ladies dig the scar??
icon10.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #60 of 71
thanks, guys(and girls)... I'm just fine, though i think i'd even describe the times my nose was broken as more pleasant then this, this was one of the worst experiences by far. Mostly because i felt like such an idiot, and the thing was making me really dizzy being up my ear so high. After 2 hours up yer ear i was blacking out and a real mess...

I'm not giving up iems, though i'll never try that tip again... I think ill try the foam tips, but im giving my ear atleast a week to become normal again, also im a bit concerned about ear wax, so i'm gonna limit myself to not using these more then once or twice a day (not for more then an few hours).

If not for nothign, i hope people learn this can happen, and to be damn careful with your ears (unless you don't mind having this stupid thing happening to you). I'm sure in the history of head-fi it may happen again, i assure you people it really, really sucked. I have thick skin and have had nasty injuries, i can't really downplay how bad this sucked.

BTW, that really sucks about your hand man, i can see you must have really messed up the thum muscles and such.. Does your hand work normal? As a programmer, i think an injury like that would destroy my career, or atleast handicap me, my hands are to me most important part of my body... (don't make stupid jokes, haha).

I've had my share of hand trouble, though not that critical. I got in a nasty car wreck where my entire left thumb got dislocated and tore my whole ligament up, was basiclly me grabbing the wheel in a 65+ mph impact. My hand swell up to the size of a volleyball practically, and never the same again... Also, my friend got
his finger caught in a device used to adhere formica to particle board, he lost the tip of his finger, needed skin grafts etc... Yuck. Different level of injury when you lost part of your body for good, i'm fortunate i didnt have my ears destroyed when i foolish had my mom/dad trying to pry that thing out of my ear.

Makes me feel very lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back