this a good deal for an xbox 360?
Feb 24, 2008 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
my buddy is selling his xbox 360 to buy a ps3 instead and although I am not the biggest gamer in the world, I have been interested in games like COD4 and bioshock that I cant play on my pc

so basically he is selling it for 300 bucks CDN with the premium console, the HD, headset, the cables, the controllers all that jazz and with dead rising or halo..

so is this a good deal or what? is it worth it for someone who doesnt game alot but still wants to play some next gen stuff?

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 15
If I was you, I would buy a PS3.

On the deal your friend was offering, the HD DVD add on is worthless now.

COD4 is worth about 30 dollars new.

The headset for online gaming is not worth more than 20 bucks and on the xbox 360 you have to pay to use their online service, on the PS3 it is free.

Since Blu Ray won the format war, the PS3 will be the player to use to watch all HD movies.

Plus PS3 is coming out with Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 6, and Final Fantasy.
Which will be better than any game you can buy on the Xbox 360.

Your friend figured this out and decided to dump the Xbox 360 to get the PS3.

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 15
hmm well like I said alot of games I wanted to play but couldnt on my computer like bioshock, oblivion, cod4, halo, gta4 etc are on the 360 and 8 out of 10 of my friends have a 360 and online play so I thought it would be better to go the 360 route

and like i said, im not a huge gamer and I played mgs tekken and FF on my ps2 and I wasn't a huge fan, different strokes for different folks I guess

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
COD4 is worth about 30 dollars new.

you're about $10-30 off... it's still $60 and occasionally goes on sale for $40

and as for your other points

PSN may be free but it's more an afterthought and a good generation behind xbox live (you get what you pay for)

so bluray is the format for all HD movies? i could name off a few that are not on bluray and may not be for some time plus if you hit the right ebay auctions the add-on drive and movies can be had dirt cheap (lowest i've the drive go for is $20)

personally the game you mention don't interest me all that much.. MGS4 kinda... the only PS3 exclusive coming in the future that has me excited is resistance 2

the best thing to do is read up on current and upcoming exclusives and check on which versions of multiplatform titles are better and make an informed decision not based on biased opinions

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Personally I would say XBOX 360 has better games than PS3, as for getting it off your buddy, I'd say you guys should do some research together (typical ebay prices... etc) to reach something you're both happy with.

At the end of the day, delaying your enjoyment of games for a in-the-future price drop probably would not be worth it.

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 15
I'd honestly wait until Microsoft ironed out the whole overheating issue. (google "RROD") The system has good games, but damn does the hardware suck.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd honestly wait until Microsoft ironed out the whole overheating issue. (google "RROD") The system has good games, but damn does the hardware suck.

It's been resolved for a while now... most of the people who are currently getting them seem to be a vocal minority, whereas the ones at launch were a large portion.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_utero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been resolved for a while now... most of the people who are currently getting them seem to be a vocal minority, whereas the ones at launch were a large portion.

From what I've read, it's still happening beyond an acceptable margin. (I.e. compared to the other next-gen consoles) I'm sure Microsoft will remedy it the future (they better), so I'd just wait.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 15
I just sold my 'premium' console with a wireless controller and battery-pack for $210. 300CAD is too much.

Also, the RROD issue is still a BIG problem.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 15
In my experience, the xbox 360 is a very unreliable console. A couple of my friends xbox 360s got the red light within less than a year.

The PS3 is sooooooooooo worth it. But theres nothing like a good gaming PC.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so bluray is the format for all HD movies? i could name off a few that are not on bluray and may not be for some time plus if you hit the right ebay auctions the add-on drive and movies can be had dirt cheap (lowest i've the drive go for is $20)

Yes, Blu-ray is the format for all HD movies in the extremely near future. HD-DVD is going the way of the dodo in the coming months, and will be completely obsolete by year's end. Simply put, Blu-ray won the format war.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxyjin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree $300 is too much. If it is out of warranty I say go buy a new one. Might save you from the dreaded RROD D:

This thread is 5 months old...
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back